X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thickness Planer Failure!

My TP1300 1 13" Thickness Planner started sparking and making a rattling noise causing me to shut it off. This is one motor brush:

https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=633340

Any suggestions as to how to repair this tool?

Thanks!
    Retired in NH
    Attached Files

Re: Thickness Planer Failure!

It's hard to tell by the photo, as it's quite blurry and out of focus, but it looks like all that is left is the holder and that the carbon brush shoe is now gone. (What I make out, is the spring and metal box/holder for the carbon block.)

That of course would cause a bit of noise as the metal came into contact with the commutator (that's the split ring contact area on the armature, which the brushes ride against). The question of course is whether or not the commutator was damaged, and if so, how badly? That of course can be determined by a close inspection; but, I'm not sure if this can be accomplished on this motor, without disassembly.

Obviously at this point you need a new set of brushes, which are very easy to replace. But if the commutator is scored, it may hasten the wear on new brushes and, if the commutator is badly damaged, they can be shorted and new brushes won't help.

Motor's with brushes (Universal-type motors) need to be inspected on occasion, to prevent this from happening. Some Ridgid tool's employ automatic "stops" which simply stop the motor when the brushes wear to a point where they need to be changed, but the TP-1300 may not be equipped with that feature.

So at this point, it may be time to visit your nearest authorized service center. Do you recall whether you are still under warranty (3-years) or if your are registered with the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement? I am guessing that if you've worn the brushes out, it's probably been in service for some time, but you did mention that this was a TP1300 1, so perhaps it's not that old. (Do you recall when you purchased it?)

Let us know and perhaps we can offer further advice.

Welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Comment

The purchase was over 3 years ago but it has not seen much use due to moving delays. The other view of the carbon brush below shows the length better but the image focus is not much better.

https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=623045

As the nearest Service Center is a long way away I may just try buying replacement brushes (what part # is required?) and look for a replacement motor if that does not work.

I might try inspecting the commutator through using a fiber optic inspection tool to better judge any damage it might have taken.

Suggestions?

Thanks for the input!
      Attached Files

Comment

I don't know a thing about your problem but I saw your name and inferred you like to paddle. If you plan to be in the Albany, NY area let me know and maybe we can get together and paddle. I know lots of places in the Adirondacks to go. My next paddling adventure is the Atlantic, probably in late November if work lets up by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
          I don't know a thing about your problem but I saw your name and inferred you like to paddle. If you plan to be in the Albany, NY area let me know and maybe we can get together and paddle. I know lots of places in the Adirondacks to go. My next paddling adventure is the Atlantic, probably in late November if work lets up by then.
          True, we have a wood strip Double (built from scratch in 1999 while living in San Diego) and two single sea kayaks. We are now retired and do not fly on commercial airlines and therefore tend to stay close to home.

Hope you enjoy your kayaking!

Comment

Kayakin2,

You can order the parts via Ridgid Parts Direct (from the main page, look for the "support" heading) or you can order them form M and D Mower. Here is a link to the latter's web site and the TP13001 Parts List:

http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/ridgid/TP13001.pdf

I've had good luck with both sources.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Parts ordered.

Thanks

Comment

near as I can tell from your photos it looks like the spring has gotten hot and collapsed or lost some of its tension. The carbon from the brush is still there. I would be willing to bet your armature has gone bad and that the heat from the arcing is what damaged your brushes. If you already ordered the brushes installing them will let you know pretty quick.

Comment

Just have to have them ship! Still waiting after one week!

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Re: Ridgid Parts Supplier Failure!

Placed my order with the Ridgid Parts Supplier (Gardner) over EIGHT DAYS ago and the parts have not shipped! The parts were indicated as IN STOCK!

I am now reviewing all tools in my extensive workshop and planning to replace all RIDGID PRODUCTS with other brand products.

RIDGID products are now BANNED in this location!

What good are products if you can not obtain parts or nearby service!

A Former Ridgid User
                    Last edited by Kayakin2; 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM.

Comment

You should not blame ridgid for a suppliers short comings. Also just because a web site says it has not shipped does not mean it hasn't.
                      SSG, U.S. Army
                      Retired
                      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

TOD, I respectfully disagree!

1. This is the parts supplier Ridgid sends us to!

2. The status of the order is per the supplier's info!

Judge people and companies by their action not their claims!

Comment

Good luck. Lets us know when the sale is to sell off all your other ridgid tools.
                          SSG, U.S. Army
                          Retired
                          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Kayakin2,

I understand that you are upset, and rightfully so! But I'm not sure getting so upset as to want to get rid of whatever Ridgid tools you have is a solution. Have you tried to give Gardner a phone call? Snags do happen and let's face it, it's sometimes tough to find good help.

A few months ago I was faced with getting a pair of belts for my Ryobi BT3100 table saw. I really love this saw and it has performed flawlessly for me. It was only my own mistake that caused the belts to sever.

I looked at three different sources and decided on Sears... it had the parts in stock, according to their online system, and it had the best price. Not only that, but it had the best shipping date and the lowest cost shipping fee. Only problem was that when it pointed to the "belts" it said "1". Same diagram as in my owners manual, except my owners manual says "2". So I called and asked, "Is it one belt or one pair of belts?" Sears didn't know!

So, I ordered two, but these things are like $18. So, five days later I check my order status and there's no information. I call, "they don't know". The next day (Thursday) is when they are supposed to arrive; but, they don't! The order status still shows nothing and I call again, and once again, they don't know.

I'm down in the middle of a project, so I called the second place (M and D Mower) and they have them in stock too. So I ask if they would double-check and how long will it take to get them to me. They said they'd ship them the next day (Friday) and that I'd have them sometime the following week (they're in Ohio and I'm in NY). They also knew enough to tell me that the price was per belt, and I would need to order two. So, I place my order!

I then called Sears and they still can't tell me what the status is, so I tell them I want to cancel. "YOU CAN"T!", was the reply. Bottom line, after much squabbling and talking to three different people, including a couple of managers, is that once the order is place, you can't cancel... even if they didn't make their commitment, even if they say it's in stock and isn't.

According to them, "in stock" means that their supplier has reported that they have them in stock... apparently Sears, itself, doesn't stock or handle anything. So while they handle the order, take your money, etc. they refute all knowledge or liability or responsibility for any errors in the transaction. (I have lodged a written complaint with Sears and with the BBB... all to know avial, other than having the "shipping cost" removed.) BTW, I finally got my "one" belt... but it arrived three weeks after I ordered it.

As far as M and D... well, I didn't get it the following week either; but, it did arrive the Monday after. Still a week ahead of the Sears order.

So Kayakin, I understand your problem. I wish that I could offer you better advice, but this whole "parts" thing seems to be a real shambles. Hopefully it is different elsewhere, but I wonder. But, all that said, I'm not about to give up my table saw over something as simple as a couple of belts.

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 10-27-2010, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Just another guy who joined the forum to do no more than pee and moan. If you ignore him he will go away without having contributed anything constructive. To become so upset because an order hasn't shipped after only being placed 8 days earlier is simply childish.
                              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                              X