Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitachi upping the ante with Lifetime Warranty on Lithiom-Ion cordless tools

From Woodoworkers Journal website:

Hitachi has just announced that it will now offer an exclusive Lifetime Lithium-Ion Tool Warranty to the original purchasers of its HXP Lithium Ion cordless tools. Even better, the warranty is retroactive, back to the original launch date of this tool line in August 2006. So, if you've purchased a qualifying HXP tool any time prior to the new warranty, your tool is covered as well — and there's no need to re-register it.

Read the full article: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ez..._War_8090.aspx

I guess they are feeling the pressure of Ridgid warranty and have countered with this. I wonder if any other manufacturers will follow.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Hitachi upping the ante with Lifetime Warranty on Lithiom-Ion cordless tools

Their new Lifetime Warranty however does not apply to the batteries. You will have to purchase new ones when the original won't take a charge any longer. Hitachi's Lifetime Warranty also only covers defects in workmanship and material defects and does not cover normal wear and tear items much like the Emerson/Ridge Tool warranty offered before the TTI/OWT license agreement.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Re: Hitachi upping the ante with Lifetime Warranty on Lithiom-Ion cordless tools

I agree Dave. It's not the same as the Ridgid warranty but I think that it shows they are trying to offer soemthing that 'appears' similar at first glance to the consumer who doesn't read the fine print. So the Ridgid warranty must be hurting them to some degree else they would not be offering more in their warranty, and making it retro back to the introduction of their Lithion-Ion tool line shows they are trying to hang on to those that have invested in their tools. The battery coverage in the Ridgid warranty is a big selling feature.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The Ridgid warranty, like any other is only good if it works for the consumer. I registered my 5 piece nicad set when I bought it almost 5 years ago. Now I was told by Customer service that they never received the mail in part. I have been exchanging emails with a customer rep, and he told me I am one of "thousands" who claim they sent in the necessary paper work.

My point is that if thousands of consumers bought Ridgid tools thinking they were entitled to the LSA, and then find out years later either they made a mistake or paper work was misplaced or lost, the end result is thousand of consumers who will probably not remain Ridgid customers.

In my last email, I pointed out that the serial number information I provided on the online dashboard should prove my set is not stolen, and the thousands of posts on this Forum should represent some loyalty or interest regarding Ridgid. I still won't knock the fine service my Ridgid tools have provided, but since I am sure I did everything right way back when, I can't accept my current situation.

I believe my Ridgid tools have years more life in them, so I will either have my batteries rebuilt of purchase some new.

Comment

Bob, I wholeheartedly agree that the Ridgid LLSA is most likely hurting the bottom line of some companies or at least getting their attention. I'm actually very surprised that other companies haven't introduced longer warranties or similar LLSA type programs before this.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Bob, I wholeheartedly agree that the Ridgid LLSA is most likely hurting the bottom line of some companies or at least getting their attention. I'm actually very surprised that other companies haven't introduced longer warranties or similar LLSA type programs before this.

Because no business person in their right mind would offer a lifetime warranty that they plan on honoring. If they do offer a lifetime warranty then they assume most will not have enough knowledge to redeem it when necessary. They would also hope many don't "register" the product to be eligible for the warranty.

Simple economics and common sense tell anyone a lifetime warranty is only going to be beneficial for the consumer. The company offering it is going to get hurt if all end users decide to call them on that warranty.

Comment

Franki,

Let'er go my friend, this error is going to eat you up otherwise. Just take a lesson from this and follow-up with future registrations in a timely fashion.

WorkerBob,

You may be right in your assumption, but in my humble opinion, TTI/OWT's LLSA offer on it's Ridgid-branded tools has been a smart move. It gains customer's that are wise enough to realize that "cordless" tools are of little bargain, if you have to buy new batteries every two or three years. While convenient, I think it is only the professional-type customers who can afford the luxury of "cordless" convenience and do so by simply making those new replacement batteries part of the business expense.

For homeowner/hobbyist like me, there's no way I would go cordless, without Ridgid's benefits. Thus, their LLSA gets customers like me who would otherwise not spend the extra $$.

And, as you state... there are a number of customer's that simply won't be bothered or that somehow misinterpret the LLSA requirements. Whatever, I'm quite happy with TTI's Ridgid tools and the advantages of the LLSA. Now if only they could give me a local service center, I'd feel a lot more comfortable.

CWS

Comment

one of several thousand, huh. well i can give a lifetime warranty on anything if i going to lose the registrations. breid...

Comment

Working...
                X