Ridgid JobMax™ Gets a Nice Review in ShopNotes Magazine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid JobMax™ Gets a Nice Review in ShopNotes Magazine

ShopNotes Issue #114 (on newsstands now) has a favorable review of the RIDGID JobMax™ multitool. It's on page 12.
    "For all-around usefulness, you won’t find more
    bang for the buck than this versatile multitool."

If I had known that the JobMax was coming out or that RIDGID had something in the works along those lines I would not have bought the Fein MultiMaster when I did. I would have found another way to do what I needed to do on that one job and waited for the JobMax. Now my only recourse would be to buy the JobMax and have two specialty tools or sell the MultiMaster at a loss. the Job Max does more if you have all the attachments and for what the MultiMaster costs you can buy the JobMax and all the attachments for about the same price. You'd be way ahead of the game of you bought the JobMax.

Here's another feature that I was not aware of about the JobMax. If the ShopNotes article is correct they stated that the JobMax comes with an adapter that lets it use the Fein or any other multitool blades. That could prove to be a big advantage if one company makes a special blade that RIDGID does not or you need a blade in a hurry and all the store has available is blades from another manufacturer.

Couple all that with the LLSA and how can you lose? Well, if you buy too soon as I did you lose.

I need a job as a beta tester of new RIDGID tools.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: Ridgid JobMax™ Gets a Nice Review in ShopNotes Magazine

Bob,

I bought the JobMax "starter kit" a couple of weeks ago and it is unquestionably a noteworthy tool. So far, I'm quite impressed with it.

The starter kit comes with the drive unit, 12-V Li-Ion battery, charge, and both a sander head and the saw-head, as well as a sand paper assortment, and two cutting blades. All for $100!

I've used the "wood and nails" blade to cut the top molding above my windows in the new library. Wood is old, hard, and the end caps are nailed. The JobMax not only cuts through this rapidly, but also quite cleanly. I cut one piece and discovered it was still a bit long... and was totally pleased that the Job-Max could easily shave another 1/16th, with no problem.

I primarily bought this to install new outlet boxes and it slices through old plaster and lath very cleanly and I can maintain the cut exactly on my outline.

The oscillations of the head are so fine and efficient that the vibrations are passed almost entirely to the blade and hardly felt in the handle.

Nice!

CWS

ps, Forgot to comment on the "adapter" for using other brand accessories.

The "adapter" is basically a washer-like fitting that fits over Ridgid's own design blade fitting. Without the adapter, you can use Ridgid-brand accessories, if you can find them (as yet, they are not available at Home Depot). With the proper side of the adaptor in position it will handle either Dremel or (IIRC) Bosch accessories. One side of the adapter is marked with a "D" and the other side with a "B" (IIRC).

While I'm not absolutely sure about the "B", the two sides of the adapter are marked for whatever the two brands of accessories that my local Home Depot carried. I presume that out of the three possibilities (Ridgid, Dremel, or Bosch), one of those is probably compatible with Fein.... but I really don't know.
    Last edited by CWSmith; 10-23-2010, 12:16 AM. Reason: Comment addition: Adapter

Comment

I also found this review by Popular Mechanics comparing the Jobmax in its many configurations to various single purpose battery-powered tools.

JobMax wins again though they did note that the JobMax weighs slightly more than the other tools.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Think I will wait for this since they have two battery options and a whole lot more tools including a heated jacket! No kidding.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...ordless+System

Comment

Yes, BUT... that appears to be just another "multi-tool" and NOT anything like the "JobMax" which is a two-piece "multi-tool" which allows removal of the normal multi-tool head and replacing it with an assortment of other tool heads, like the hammer, angle-driver, impact wrench, etc.

I don't see that kind of versatility with the Milwaukee, or at least not in the photos of the model shown in the link.

CWS

Comment

based on the comments here, just picked up a r92236 combo kit:

contains the job max multi tool handle and the 12v drill/driver. after HF 20% coupon, tax and all, $138 out the door. if you can find a 92234, that includes the auto hammer head attachment. in a week or two, we'll see how they stack up.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Can you change batteries on the JobMax? I would like to have a battery in the unit while another battery is on the charger. Then I can swap them when I drain the first battery.

Thanks,
              Ken

Comment

Ken,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

Yes, you can swap out the battery for a fresh one... if you have it.

I've only seen the "Starter Kit" in my local HD (that's the kit that I bought). That kit comes with the motor handle, the multi-tool head, sanding attachment, two different cutting blades, a few pieces of sand paper, the adapter washer for use with other brand blades, one 12-volt Li-Ion battery, the charger, and a zippered case.

There are several other Ridgid 12-volt Li-Ion tools that use the same battery.

The JobMax is a darn nice tool and so far it has proven to be a nice addition that has proven to be quite handy.

The additional tool heads (right angle drill, impact driver, wrench, and hammer [I know I'm missing one ??) are $50 apiece at present.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks. On homedepot.com it looks like the 12v battery goes for about $40. Even though there are some negative comments about the JobMax "system" there seems to be plenty of positive comments so I'll probably be putting this on my Christmas list. I already have the Rockwell 18v lithium drill/driver and impact driver so the JobMax oscillating tool starter kit and maybe the autohammer head is the way to go.

Cheers,
                  Ken

Comment

Originally posted by redbaron69 View Post
                    Think I will wait for this since they have two battery options and a whole lot more tools including a heated jacket! No kidding.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...ordless+System
                    i am jealous of all the tools in milwaukees arsenal. I really think the battery gauge on all the tools and all the 18volt bats is brilliant. Part of the reason i love the 24 volt stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X