X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid lithium ion batteries and bad customer service

So, I have two 18V Li-Ion batteries that won't charge. The charger says they are charged, but there is NO power out of these batteries. So I contact Ridgid and they refer me to a service center.

When I get to the service center, the guy that works there tells me he also needs me to bring in the tools that go with the batteries and leave them there. Ridgid actually expects me to leave my tools on a shelf at a service center for weeks or maybe months until they get around to getting new batteries sent out. Ridiculous in my opinion.

I have the two batteries with valid date codes so they are still under warranty and the service center wants me to go without my tools simply to replace the batteries. When I asked if I could send the batteries directly to Ridgid, I was told that I can ONLY go to a service center.

So I have two batteries, each worth $100 that just paperweights now.
    Last edited by idlplumb; 11-20-2010, 08:54 PM.
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Ridgid lithium ion batteries and bad customer service

There seems to be alot of misinformation out there about the requirements of Ridgid service centers for testing and replacing batteries. My experience with the service center in Nedrow, NY was.......
    1-I had to take batteries, one charger and one tool to service center for testing to determine if tool or charger were defective. I had to bring LSA documentation.
    2-Testing took about five minutes. They returned tool and charger to me after determining they had tested OK.
    Service center told me they had purchased testing equipment from Ridgid. Apparently some service centers don't buy testing equipment and must send batts, tools and charger to Ridgid for testing which lcan take weeks according to many posters to this forum.
    I suggest you call around and find a service center in your area that has testing equipment AND a supply of batts in inventory. Many service centers don't carry any battery inventory and you are forced to wait while they get replacements.
    Good luck and let us know how you make out.... Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
      There seems to be alot of misinformation out there about the requirements of Ridgid service centers for testing and replacing batteries. My experience with the service center in Nedrow, NY was.......
      1-I had to take batteries, one charger and one tool to service center for testing to determine if tool or charger were defective. I had to bring LSA documentation.
      2-Testing took about five minutes. They returned tool and charger to me after determining they had tested OK.
      Service center told me they had purchased testing equipment from Ridgid. Apparently some service centers don't buy testing equipment and must send batts, tools and charger to Ridgid for testing which lcan take weeks according to many posters to this forum.
      I suggest you call around and find a service center in your area that has testing equipment AND a supply of batts in inventory. Many service centers don't carry any battery inventory and you are forced to wait while they get replacements.
      Good luck and let us know how you make out.... Ray
      my service center rocks. THEY picked up and dropped off batts in same trip, only asked for cust number and how many i needed! Also very pleasant and helpful. All service centers are not created equally.

Comment

IdlPlumb,

Don't be too quick to condemn Ridgid, and more importantly, your investment in this particular tool.

The service center needs to determine if it is the batteries that are defective, or perhaps the charger, or the tool itself. In order to do that, they are going to need to see everything.

Question of course is, for how long? Did you ask or did you just presume that they are going to need everything for weeks? In many posts, it's a simple matter of taking in everything, them doing a quick check and then order the needed "replacement" item (that wait for the proper replacement, might well take weeks). But, maybe this particular center is very busy and can't stop everything to make a determination that quickly... maybe you need to ask, if you haven't already.

But, let's suppose your batteries are bad. Did they just go bad prematurely, or perhaps there's something wrong with the charger or the tool that is killing the battery protection circuit.

So if they just replace the batteries and you soon find that they too go bad, then you'll be b'tching all over the place that Ridgid batteries suck and that the service center didn't do their job. Surely, you want to make sure that the problem is properly determined, right? To do that, the service center needs what they ask for.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I have brought my batteries to my service center in Arizona and they were awesome. Handed them the bad ones with my warranty info. They went to the computer and verified it. Handed me new ones and I was out of there in 5 minutes.

The bad thing is this is the second time. So the batteries are what needs to be fixed not the service in AZ. He also said i can mail the batteries to them and they would mail me new ones on Ridgid's dime.

Comment

Ya, from what I've been hearing, not all service centers are made equally. It's really my fault for not having filed the proper paperwork for registration. But I think I have it figured out (repairing the batts myself).
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
            X