X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid lithium ion batteries and NO customer service

EIBI1cj ......You have a lot of complaints, however I am going to focus on just one. I did a search on Ridgid service centers and they show 4 within 50 miles of you, including one under 20 miles. I suggest you establish a relationship with one of these service centers. What you are doing now with HD is crazy and not working.
    My service center is 35 miles away so I ask them to UPS bats to me. My service center only requires one tool for testing, not the entire set.

Name Location Phone/Fax
    MILES LANGE & LEAMAN ELECTRIC CO
    2840 UNIVERSAL DRIVE
    SAGINAW, MI 48603 Tel: (989) 497-8620
    Fax: No Fax Available
    MILES Tool Medic
    11395 N Saginaw Road
    Clio, MI 48420 Tel: (810) 687-6691
    MILES DEISLER OUTDOOR POWER EQUIPMENT INC
    227 SLEESEMAN DRIVE
    CORUNNA, MI 48817 Tel: (989) 720-5296
    Fax: (989) 720-5297
    MILES Spanglers Sales & Service
    3378 W Pierson Road
    Flint, MI 48504 Tel: (810) 787-0240
    ......Update-I called the Lange and Leaman Electric Co. his AM to see if they were a functioning service center. The lady I talked with told me that they don't carry any battery inventory. Her statement was that "they replace so many batteries every day that they couldn't possibly carry them all". I suggested that "because they are replacing a large volume of batteries is exactly the reason they should carry an inventory in stock". She told me it takes 2-3 weeks to get the 18V LI batts. I am convinced there is a serious disconnect between Ridgid and their service centers. This conversation is typical.
    1- The service center tells me they have a large number of customers bringing in Ridgid batts every day for replacement.
    2-The service center tells me they do not carry any inventory and they must order the batts and it will be several weeks to receive them.
    3-THE CUSTOMER IS NOT BEING SERVED WITH THIS RIDICULOUS PROCEDURE. RIDGID, PLEASE HELP US HELP YOU....Ray
    Last edited by roadrashray; 11-22-2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I bought my Ridgid drill combo Mar10, 2010. Like you, I'd gone on the net, read reviews, chosen wich drills I wanted to look at, the guy at Home Depot talked me into the Rigid because of the LSA, I immediately came here, to register the product, still have not recieved LSA confirmation. Now one of the 18V Lithium Ion battery packs will not recharge, the charger indicates it's defective. I first went back to Home Depot with the battery and my recipt, they told me to go to WWW.Ridgid.com and go through customer service, but in the mean time, they would be happy to sell me another one for $99. I just sent the message to customer service a few minutes ago. After reading this thread, I'm not going to hold my breath. I will say after spending $250 on a drill, having the battery last less than a year, and cost almost $100 to replace, Ridgid had better come through like champs on this warranty replacement, or that drill will be the only tool they ever sell me! I've got nothing against them, but judging by the posts on this website and others, they're quickly earning a negative reputation. I for one hope they pull it together, and start to excell, but must admit, I'm less than optamistic.

Comment

Originally posted by JDBraddy View Post
        I bought my Ridgid drill combo Mar10, 2010. Like you, I'd gone on the net, read reviews, chosen wich drills I wanted to look at, the guy at Home Depot talked me into the Rigid because of the LSA, I immediately came here, to register the product, still have not recieved LSA confirmation. Now one of the 18V Lithium Ion battery packs will not recharge, the charger indicates it's defective. I first went back to Home Depot with the battery and my recipt, they told me to go to WWW.Ridgid.com and go through customer service, but in the mean time, they would be happy to sell me another one for $99. I just sent the message to customer service a few minutes ago. After reading this thread, I'm not going to hold my breath. I will say after spending $250 on a drill, having the battery last less than a year, and cost almost $100 to replace, Ridgid had better come through like champs on this warranty replacement, or that drill will be the only tool they ever sell me! I've got nothing against them, but judging by the posts on this website and others, they're quickly earning a negative reputation. I for one hope they pull it together, and start to excell, but must admit, I'm less than optamistic.
        JD.....You can get the batts replaced under the three year warranty with your receipt. Call around your area for a Ridgid service center who has batts in stock and ask them what stuff you need to bring in for testing. They should be able to test in a few minutes while you are there and replace your batts from inventory. Let us know how it goes....Ray

Comment

Ray we are getting a new pro press 18v and you say that if we dont use the tool for a month or two that we should put the batteries on charge each month ,and that will help
          the tool will be put in out tool room at the shop and it is heated so that wont be a problem
          when we get the tool i will be using a lot at first on 3" fittings so the batteries will get a lot of full charges for a month then my sit on the shelf

i never had a tool with ion batteries so it is all new to me
          thanks for your help
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            Ray we are getting a new pro press 18v and you say that if we dont use the tool for a month or two that we should put the batteries on charge each month ,and that will help
            the tool will be put in out tool room at the shop and it is heated so that wont be a problem
            when we get the tool i will be using a lot at first on 3" fittings so the batteries will get a lot of full charges for a month then my sit on the shelf

i never had a tool with ion batteries so it is all new to me
            thanks for your help
            I don't know what a "pro press" is? We use two other tool brands that have LI batts. The Ridgid LI batts is the only brand that seems to have a self discharge. I don't know why that is true, however it is our experience and based on many comments on this forum would seem to be the experience of many others.
            Bottom line: If it's a Ridgid LI batt and I was not using it, I would charge it about once per month. Hope this was helpful....Ray

Comment

To the gentleman that is haveing to pay his home depot $30.00 to get his tools checked out. I don't have a solution but can answer why they do this. A lot of home depot"s send their tools to individual service centers as a courtesy for their cust's. They usually send a pallet with muliple tools not just ridgid and not all under wtty. It takes time to check out each tool and appx 60% of the tools under wtty have no problem. My personal opinion is that numerous people use their genereous return policys as a tool rental. If a service center is honest they will not get paid for the time it takes to check out a wtty tool that has nothing wrong with it. Due to the volume that Home Depot sends in service centers have to charge them for tools that are in fact not under wtty as nothing is wrong with them. In my opinion $30.00 to check out a hand tool is extreme but it probably also covers shipping. The solution would be to go to your local service center dirctly.

Comment

Man am I glad I found this place I've been eyeing a 18v LI set that I planed on buying until I spotted this thread. I worked with a guy that had 24v combo and the only down side was the recip saw he said it had a aluminum shaft that broke minuites into it's first use but he was happy overall with the rest of the tools as was I. I thought the 24v was to heavy for my needs and think the 18v is a good value to bad they don't work. How long has this model/batt. been on the market and has it been bad from the get-go? I'm not in a rush to buy the tools do you think it's worth waiting a couple months to see if this gets resolved or get over it and buy another brand?

Comment

To roadrashRay, STL B. and others. This is just an update. I am the original poster for this Thread and am in email contact with a 'Consumer Response' representative of One World Technologies (the manufacturer of Ridgid wood working power tools) concerning this problem.

I will let the forum know how this turns out as soon as I know. In the meanwhile STL B., I would hold off on purchasing the 18V Li Ion drill from Ridgid unless you are satisfied that you have good local authorized service centers in your area.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by JDBraddy View Post
                    This is almost identical to my experience. I bought my drill on 2/11/2010 and have used it very sparingly. It's like brand new. Now, one battery shows to be defective and the other shows to be charged, but doesn't work. The local HD where I bought it gave me the phone number of a local service center, but their voice mail box is full. That doesn't sound good. I also registered it for the LSA, but the web site still shows it as only the 3 year warranty. I'm very frustrated and will probably never buy another Rigid product. Oh well. vent over. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by txz06ce View Post
                      This is almost identical to my experience. I bought my drill on 2/11/2010 and have used it very sparingly. It's like brand new. Now, one battery shows to be defective and the other shows to be charged, but doesn't work. The local HD where I bought it gave me the phone number of a local service center, but their voice mail box is full. That doesn't sound good. I also registered it for the LSA, but the web site still shows it as only the 3 year warranty. I'm very frustrated and will probably never buy another Rigid product. Oh well. vent over. Thx.

Try one of the other Ridgid service centers in your area. Call to confirm that they have testing equipment and batts in stock. you will need to bring proof of purchase and the batt, tool and charger.
                      Let us know how it goes....Ray
                      Name Location Phone/Fax
                      MILES Shaver Service Center
                      9505 BURNET ROAD SUITE D
                      Austin, TX 78758 Tel: (512) 454-5848
                      MILES ALTAQUIP - AUSTIN
                      380 DROSSETT DRIVE SUITE C
                      AUSTIN, TX 78744 Tel: (512) 428-4859
                      MILES Lampasas Builders Mart, Inc
                      507 North Key Ave
                      Lampasas, TX 76550 Tel: (512) 556-6291

Comment

Originally posted by kevdev View Post
                        To roadrashRay, STL B. and others. This is just an update. I am the original poster for this Thread and am in email contact with a 'Consumer Response' representative of One World Technologies (the manufacturer of Ridgid wood working power tools) concerning this problem.

I will let the forum know how this turns out as soon as I know. In the meanwhile STL B., I would hold off on purchasing the 18V Li Ion drill from Ridgid unless you are satisfied that you have good local authorized service centers in your area.

Kevin
                        Well folks, it looks like we - with broken Ridgid tools, and small service centers, are SOL under the LSA.

I've been corresponding with Tom Clinkscales from One World Technologies, Inc who is the manufacturer of the Ridgid line of wood working power tools.

It didn't go very well. I have the full conversation that I will post here if anyone wants but it is fairly long.

In a nutshell:
                        11/30/2010 0951 Tom: -- How can we help you?

11/30/2010 1301 Kev: -- I explain the problem and point to this Thread

11/30/2010 1354 Tom: -- Try another authorized service center if your not satisfied with the first.

11/30/2010 1540 Kev: -- I've tried them all within 100 miles and explain that others are experiencing the same thing.
                        [no response from Tom]

12/02/2010 1326 Kev: -- Tom, the LSA is broken, please tell me how to get my batteries replaced.

12/02/2010 1505 Tom: -- [it's the forum's fault ... quoting] "no the Ridgid LSA coverage process is not broken. It may lead someone to think that way by customers posting complaints on a forum, but then that is what a customer that has a gripe is going to do, post on a Forum, if one is available for them to post on."

[and then the old - try another service center ... quoting] "If you are not receiving timely service and support from a local authorized service dealer, we recommend utilizing a different local service dealer to obtain timely service and support, as any other Ridgid customer needing warranty or coverage support for their Ridgid product typically does."

12/02/2010 1613 Kev: -- I have no others available! Even Home Depot acknowledges the problem. What do you suggest I do?
                        [again no response from Tom]

12/08/2010 0913 Kev: -- I repeat no service centers, with timely replacement, within over a 100 miles, what should I do?

12/09/2010 0801 Tom: -- [his response in full]

Kevin:

If every service dealer within a few hundred miles is back logged and can not get to or handle their contracted warranty responsibilities for weeks and months, then they all need to close their doors for a while until they get their act together.

We are not aware of any service dealers, that are maintaining their parts account and receiving replacement parts as they should, that are experiencing or suffering from such back logs or repair delays. We are not always aware of man power situations at the service dealer level, but then that is not something we can affect or control.

You need to choose a current authorized warranty service dealer from the ones available, possibly the one closest to you, contact them and arrange for the warranty coverage of your tools and batteries. That is our answer to you on this matter.

---------------------

And it goes on. It boils down, and I have questions, precisely worded, indicating as much, that Ridgid/One World Technologies denies there is a problem with their LSA and service center program. And they refuse to help.

Thank you ProBrand for putting me in contact with One World Technologies, I wish it would've turned out better than it did.

And a super Thank You to you RoadrashRay, for all the time you spent with this.

Anyone want to buy a barely-used Ridgid drill motor for cheap (worthless batteries included)?

Kevin
                        in New Mexico
                        P.S. I just want to make sure everyone knows, that the folks at the two authorized service centers that I've been talking to are great. I have absolutely no beef with them whatsoever. They have a high demand because of the faulty 18V Li Ion batteries that Ridgid chooses to use and Ridgid makes them purchase them up front. One even tried swapping the the Li Ion for NiCads which he had in stock - but Ridgid said no. I don't blame the local centers one bit for Ridgid's problem.

Comment

Kev,

I'm really sorry that you have been left frustrated and without service in this particular matter. It makes me wonder what the heck is going on and why can't you get service out of TTI/Ridgid. It almost appears that they HAVE a problem that they don't know how to deal with, and I am concerned that it's NOT the service center's fault.

While I have had good service with the two tools that required it, it did take a few weeks to get the parts. While that is acceptable to me, I imagine others might have some concerns. More important though, is that one local service guy is no longer doing business with Ridgid. His listing as an authorized service center probably didn't last a year. (I must admit that, though he was local to my Painted Post home, he was a very small motor repair guy. By very small, I mean he was like in a building not much bigger than a lawn shed.)

The previous guys who were listed as an "authorized" service center told me that they simply couldn't do business with Ridgid/Ryobi as it wasn't at all profitable and the parts system was just too lengthy. That operation was in Syracuse. Now my nearest center is in Oneonta, NY.

I've talked to Tom Clinkscales on a couple of occasions and he appears to be a nice gentleman. But I also get the impression that his "powers" are limited and so to his knowledge base. I approached him with a couple of questions regarding my Ridgid R2900 router. On one occasion he told me that the unit wasn't designed for and shouldn't be used in a router table (if so, I wonder why one of the features is that "above table" T-handle height adjustment) and on another occasion, I asked about the continued oxidation problem with my motor housing.... he told me the motor housing was aluminum. But, it certainly shows all the corrosive properties of magneseum and "magnesium" is one of the advertised features... and I have none of my other aluminum tools show oxidation!

I've also discussed a problem I have with my Ryobi RE1802M 3-base router I purchased a few years ago. It has the widely-discussed notoriety of being a piece of junk because after only a few months the motor housing swells to such an extent that you cannot adjust it. I had it fixed once under warranty, but within months the same problem occurred again and the warranty has long expired. In spite of the many web forum discussions about the problem, as well as my own warranty claim, neither Tom or Ryobi customer support knew nothing about it and claim there is no problem with it at all. I did get Ryobi technical support to send me a new housing, but that was so out-of-size it wouldn't go into either of the router's fixed bases. I e-mailed the measurement, but the issue was ignored. A shame really, because other than this $10 part the router has some great features; and in the plunge base, it works spectacularly!

Everytime I see those two fixed bases sitting in the drawer it reminds me of the unnecessary waste of an otherwise good tool, all because One World Technologies neither heard of or recognizes the problem. Instead, I got an answer similar to this one you received, "It may lead someone to think that way by customers posting complaints on a forum, but then that is what a customer that has a gripe is going to do, post on a Forum, if one is available for them to post on."

These problems seem to go on, unrecognized and un-addressed because the company seems to look at it from an actuarial point of view... if only a percentage of the customers are complaining, the problem doesn't exist!!! But hey guys, what about the reputation that you get? It only takes an ongoing dialogue of complaints before people question the wisdom of buying... in the case of Ryobi, they're about bottom on the list when it comes to almost anybody's router brand recommendations.

So, I have concluded that there really is no one to address such issues. Too bad really, because I found Tom be very personable and he certainly seems like he would like to help, if he could; which I certainly appreciate. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone else who handles or will even attempt to address similar issues. Every customer service person that I talked to seems knowledeable and willing to assist, but there appears to be no history available to them, beyond each customer's call-in and even that isn't clear as to how dated that may be. There definitely seems to be some problems within the organization and I'm beginning to wonder it anyone has the wherewith all to address the issues.

In conclusion, I am a real fan and dedicated customer of Ridgid and Ryobi tools and I look there first for any of my tool needs. But it deeply concerns me when I read of problems such as yours. While I like the people that I have dealt with under the Ryobi and Ridgid brands, it does make me wonder at what point am I going to get into a serious situation with them. Certainly that has been the case with my Ryobi router, where a poorly made, $10 part has ruined it and no one either recognizes that, or can take the necessary steps to provide a fix. It makes me wonder what awaits me with some of my more expensive tools which wear the "Ridgid" brand? But that said, I wonder if the service under any other brand is better?

You'd think someone in senior management would be embarrassed enough by this to give it some attention!

CWS
                          Last edited by CWSmith; 12-21-2010, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Well this thread helped decide what brand to buy. Thanks for the info.

A thing about lifetime warranties. They are usually very difficult to get honored and thats no mistake its by design. I smell a lawsuit.

Comment

The sad thing is before the company change Ridgid was the best in CS. Jake took care of most concerns, not having to travel hundreds of miles back and forth to service ctrs. since now they are reduced in number. I used to have 2 close by but soon after TTI took over they refused to service Ridgid.
                              I still buy Ridgid but am aware I am in for a long wait for service, so I have back up. Al 4 of my 24v batts drain to zero in about 2 months of storage in room temp, just did a test. That is not a good result. I wonder how long it will take for the replacements?

As far as Ryobi and routers, what a change there. I have an RE600,heavy duty plunge made in Japan , excelent, maybe over 15 years old. I still use it. Then , Ryobi was as good in quality as Makita. Years later, I bought another fixed base model[what ever was the top of the line then], and the same housing issue as CWS, plastic swelling too, could not adjust the height. They sent me a whole new router , had to use "Slipit"lube on the mating parts to get it to work. You might try that, non silicone grease, harmless, good on any surface, even wood. Sold it for cheap to a beginner WW.
                              Now , I would never even consider Ryobi for a router. Some tools made by any manuf. can be a tool to be avoided, just like those that are preferred. Ryobi and Routers are such that I would avoid , or Milwaukee and Sawzal are preferred. I do think their 18v line is a great value, as back up or loaner tools. Their green 18v LiI lineup is way over priced, as expensive as Ridgid without LSA.
                              Overall, except for the 24v LiI batteries, I have had good performance w. my Ridgid tools and thankfully not needed the service centers. It has to be a very good deal for me to buy any more though, because I dread dealing w. the service center if I do have a problem.
                              Hopefully they will address the service center issues aggressively. I think the parts availability is a problem. Home Depo constantly changes models so often, discontinuing almost every tool Ridgid makes for another model that I imagine parts are a big problem. My gut feeling is the main reason they do this at Home Depo, is to prevent customers retuning/exchanging broken or defective tools to the store. If the tool is not carried any longer you would not be able to get them to even exchange the item.
                              Years ago they had an almost unlimited exchange policy if dissatisfied, when the original owners were in charge. Customers, especially commercial users did abuse the liberal return policy, making them change it. Costco and REI are the only retailers that still have a similar excellent policy. Sam's Club also is very good. They do not sell Ridgid however [LOL]

Comment

Ray, Technut here in Florida, I run the authorized service center here and I am glad to see that other people recognize the problem we have keeping in stock the batteries, I only feel too deep the problem with purchase before replace! I have no batteries and cannot order any, because money is not available. The tube of opportunity is shrinking!

Comment

Working...
                                X