X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid lithium ion batteries and NO customer service

Unfortunately I let the guy at Home Depot talk me into buying a Ridgid drill instead of the one I wanted because of the lifetime battery warranty.

As is the case with too many others, my batteries don't work. One does not charge at all (the charger indicates it is bad), the other 'fully' charges but you can stop the drill with your hand (or is that the case anyway with Ridgid drills?). In any case, the drill is useless.

So, I found the four 'service centers' in my area. The closest is 73 miles, the other three are between 94 and 99 miles away. Of the three that I went to, one was completely not even there, one was closed with bars over it doors (during normal hours), the other was closed indefinitely because - according to the sign - the mechanic was 'very ill'.

So now what?

Any suggestions as to how I can get this #$%@ thing to work?

With sorrow that I jumped ship from my trusted power tool brand,

Kevin Ryan
    New Mexico, USA

Re: Ridgid lithium ion batteries and NO customer service

Well, if you haven't had past 90 days, return it to HD and get the drill you wanted.

Comment

Alas, it has been more than 90 days. Thanks anyway though.

Comment

KevDev, can you pm me your email or other contact information? I'd like to pass this on to the customer service lead and try to find a resolution. Thanks, Wyatt

Comment

Thanks Wyatt! I sent the info ... I think.

Comment

I too have this same issue. On hold for 44 minutes this morning too some soothing music, then 7 minutes of dead silence and at last a voice says "hello". I ask, "is this Ridgid Support"? Yes, we are very Ridgid! Finally I get a warm body and she tells me to drive to Chicago and talk to the service center, a 5 hour commute. Unbelievable. This is not going to be pretty. I smell a rat on this lifetime warranty and suspect there maybe trouble for consumers who were lured into buying under the premise that there would be some safety net. Nope. The website has now changed and I can't find where I registered the tools. In one day, I have went from a huge Ridgid fan to one who will think four times before purchasing a power tool by Ridgid. My experience is the quality is not good only to be matched by the customer service. Yuck.

Comment

Good Lord, I hope you weren't as obnoxious on the phone as you were in that forum post.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by kevdev View Post
                Unfortunately I let the guy at Home Depot talk me into buying a Ridgid drill instead of the one I wanted because of the lifetime battery warranty.

As is the case with too many others, my batteries don't work. One does not charge at all (the charger indicates it is bad), the other 'fully' charges but you can stop the drill with your hand (or is that the case anyway with Ridgid drills?). In any case, the drill is useless.

So, I found the four 'service centers' in my area. The closest is 73 miles, the other three are between 94 and 99 miles away. Of the three that I went to, one was completely not even there, one was closed with bars over it doors (during normal hours), the other was closed indefinitely because - according to the sign - the mechanic was 'very ill'.

So now what?

Any suggestions as to how I can get this #$%@ thing to work?

With sorrow that I jumped ship from my trusted power tool brand,

Kevin Ryan
                New Mexico, USA
                Sorry you are having problems with your Ridgid tools Kevin. We are a professional contractor and over the years have used most of top brands including Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, et all. All of them have generally been good tools albiet with the occasional problem child, such as bad trigger switches in several DeWalt 14.4 drills, chuck problems with the old 9.6 Makita's, and lately switch problems with a couple Bosch jig saws. Early on when we started using Ridgid tools we had a battery problem with the 24V batts. They were replaced and we have had no problems with Ridgid tools since. We currently use 24V, 18V LI and NiCad, 14.4V and 9.6V Ridgid tools plus Ridgid table saws, miter saws, worm drive saws in very demanding conditions. There are temperature limitations with storing any LI bats however.
                Maybe we can help. Sometimes the problem is not what it seems. Please give us some more info to help us help you.
                1-Has ProBrand been able to provide any assistance to date?
                2-What city or town do you live in or near?
                3-What are the names of the Ridgid service centers that have been of no use to you?
                4-How long have you owned the Ridgid drill, charger, and batts you are having problems with?
                5-How do you use and store them?
                6-What voltage and battery chemistry are they?
                There are specific reasons why I have asked for the information requested. There is a tremendous amount of talent and help available on this forum. With the above information maybe we can be of some assistance.....Ray

Comment

Thanks Ray! See answers below.

I also have an update. I took the drill to Home Depot in Albuquerque and got a new address for a service center not mentioned on Ridgid's list. The Home Depot guy told me the 'other' service center could not keep up with the demand and was back-logged for months. I don't have the name of the new place with me at the moment.

From what I have seen, it just seems like these 'authorized service centers' are little come-and-go garage-band type enterprises making this whole LSA thing to appear as not being serious. Now that is just my opinion from this one experience - I respect that many of you have had much different experiences.

Anyway, on to your questions.

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                  Maybe we can help. Sometimes the problem is not what it seems. Please give us some more info to help us help you.
                  1-Has ProBrand been able to provide any assistance to date?
                  Not yet.
                  2-What city or town do you live in or near?
                  Los Lunas is about 65 miles away and Albuquerque is about 85 miles from me.

3-What are the names of the Ridgid service centers that have been of no use to you?
                  - Los Lunas Equipment - closed indefinitely "Mechanic is very ill"
                  - Honest 'D's - Couldn't even find the building!
                  - The one with the barred doors and windows I see is no longer on Ridgid's service center list (and I don't remember its name).

I did not try "Power Tool and Saw Service" in Alb, as I ran out of time.

This is when I became angry and frustrated at having spent the good part of a day trying to get some dang batteries replaced and wrote to this forum.

4-How long have you owned the Ridgid drill, charger, and batts you are having problems with?
                  Bought it March of 2009, registered immediately, got the notice of the approved LSA sometime in October 2009.
                  5-How do you use and store them?
                  They were used infrequently during that time (batteries charged maybe only 4 or 5 times). Stored in a temperature (somewhat) maintained garage (always between 50-90 degrees).

6-What voltage and battery chemistry are they?
                  18V Lithium Ion

There are specific reasons why I have asked for the information requested. There is a tremendous amount of talent and help available on this forum. With the above information maybe we can be of some assistance.....Ray
                  Once again, thanks for taking the time Ray.

Kevin

Comment

Thanks Ray! See answers below.

I also have an update. I took the drill to Home Depot in Albuquerque and got a new address for a service center not mentioned on Ridgid's list. The Home Depot guy told me the 'other' service center could not keep up with the demand and was back-logged for months. I don't have the name of the new place with me at the moment.

From what I have seen, it just seems like these 'authorized service centers' are little come-and-go garage-band type enterprises making this whole LSA thing to appear as not being serious. Now that is just my opinion from this one experience - I respect that many of you have had much different experiences.

Anyway, on to your questions.

Not yet.

Los Lunas is about 65 miles away and Albuquerque is about 85 miles from me.

- Los Lunas Equipment - closed indefinitely "Mechanic is very ill"
                    - Honest 'D's - Couldn't even find the building!
                    - The one with the barred doors and windows I see is no longer on Ridgid's service center list (and I don't remember its name).

I did not try "Power Tool and Saw Service" in Alb, as I ran out of time.

This is when I became angry and frustrated at having spent the good part of a day trying to get some dang batteries replaced and wrote to this forum.

Bought it March of 2009, registered immediately, got the notice of the approved LSA sometime in October 2009.

They were used infrequently during that time (batteries charged maybe only 4 or 5 times). Stored in a temperature (somewhat) maintained garage (always between 50-90 degrees).

18V Lithium Ion

Once again, thanks for taking the time Ray.

Kevin
                    Kevin.......
                    Batteries-It has been our experience that Ridgid LI batts self discharge faster than any other brand that we use. Many other forum members have had the same experience. It is not a problem for us as we use ours every day. It has been suggested that people who use their tools infrequently charge their batteries once a month so they won't "deep discharge" which can harm them. I noted that Ridgid storage guidelines are a temp range of 50-100 degrees. I would suspect that if they had deep discharged they could be damaged by heat around 100 degrees, however that's just a guess. My suggestion would be to charge the new ones at least once per month.
                    Service Centers.......
                    Name Location Phone/Fax
                    MILES POWER TOOL & SAW SERVICE
                    2800 RICHOND DRIVE NE
                    ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87110 Tel: (505) 856-2158
                    Fax: No Fax Available
                    MILES HONEST D'S SERVICE & REPAIR
                    2715 4TH STREET
                    ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87107 Tel: (505) 344-2571
                    MILES NEW MEXICO TOOL CO
                    1907 4th STREET N.W.
                    ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87102 Tel: (505) 344-2571
                    Fax: (505) 344-2571
                    MILES LOS LUNAS EQUIPMENT
                    3482 HWY 47
                    LOS LUNAS, NM 87031 Tel: (505) 907-9874
                    I called Honest "D"s and they answered "New Mexico Tool" and the guy told me that they had bought out good old Honest's I asked him if he had any inventory on 18V LI batts. Told me no. Told me they replace so many of them they can't keep them in stock. Told me they have to pay Ridgid up front for the batts and Ridgid pays them after they submit proper stuff. This is a complaint I have heard from many other Ridgid service centers and seems to be a serious weak link in their system. The service centers wait until they have a backlog of battery orders and then they order a shipment from Ridgid which can take from 3-4 weeks.
                    I then called Power tool and Saw service, who told me that they had no 18V LI batt inventory either. He repeated the other centers tail of tears. They have tremendous demand and have to pay up front which is a problem for them. I pointed out that with Ridgid now into many years of providing the LSA, there should be a lot of people asking for replacement batts as Ridgid sells a large volume of tools. He didn't seem to have grasped that concept.
                    He told me he did not currently have an order in to Ridgid for batteries and that delivery normally runs 3-4 weeks. He did have equipment for testing the batt, charger and tool to determine which is defective.
                    So there you have it. The bottom line with these Ridgid Service centers is that they have a tremendous demand for batts from customers wanting replacement under the LSA, however due to the Ridgid policy requiring them to pay up front they are not maintaining an inventory. I have heard this time after time, after time, ad naseum. It would seem to be a serious short coming that is killing the customer service benefit of the LSA program. In your case, you have two problem batts and neither of the Ridgid service centers has any inventory, so you would be looking at a minimum of a 3-4 week wait after they were tested. That of course is ridiculous and needs to be addressed.
                    I will try to copy ProBrand with this post, however you might in case I screw something up. With this information I would hope ProBrand could have a couple of Batts shipped directly from the mother ship. If he can't get satisfaction, I would go to Home Depot with this info and ask them to replace the batts or give you a refund so you could purchase another brand.
                    Good luck....Ray
                    I don't know how to copy ProBrand with this so I will leave it to you.
                    Last edited by roadrashray; 11-12-2010, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Wow! Thanks Ray! That was certainly above and beyond what I was expecting.

Kevin

Comment

Wow! Thanks Ray! That was certainly above and beyond what I was expecting.

Kevin
                        Kev.....I am a strong supporter of Ridgid power tools and have demonstrated that support through the purchase of thousands of dollars of them over the last few years. We are a professional contractor and use our tools very hard every day and Ridgid tools have performed very well. One of the reasons we switched from primarily a Dewalt power tool user to Ridgid was the Lifetime Service Agreement and especially the batteries. With the large number of battery power tools we have the anticipation is a savings of several thousand dollars over the life of our tools. The original decision to use Ridgid power tools was based on simple economic terms not any thing due to their reputation in other areas or the color orange or any of that mythical stuff.
                        Ridgid tools have for the most part been very good performers, not always the best but very good. We have never had perfect performance from Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, et all and we didn't expect perfect performance from Ridgid either. On this forum I have attempted to be honest in my support of Ridgid tools and customer service and have attempted to be just as honest when I felt that Ridgid tools or service did not meet reasonable expectations.
                        The issue of the difficulty of Ridgid customers obtaining battery testing and battery replacement from authorized Ridgid service centers under the terms of the Lifetime service agreement has been a major complaint on this forum for the four years that I have been involved and according to the input from other posters for many years before that. At first I was very critical of posters who complained and still criticize those not following correct procedures, being lazy, careless, trying to game the system or defrauding. Starting about a year ago I started calling service centers to determine if forum posters were telling the truth when complaining about not being able to obtain batteries from the service centers. During that time we had our first batch of 14.4V, 18V LI & Nicad and 24V LI batts replaced under the LSI. My experience was generally good although the replacement time for the 24V batts slipped several times. The bottom line is that I was told by many service centers including mine that the Ridgid procedure of the service center being required to pay for batts before they are shipped to the service center is a problem. They are complaining that large volume and therefor the cost is a cause of them not being able to get on top of the inventory issue. Some complain that the profit margin for the batteries is so low that they can't justify the cost of taking care of the LSA business. Others have stated they justify the cost of conducting the LSA business due to the traffic into their store which generates additional revenue from other product sales.
                        As we found in your situation many service centers don't seem to understand the economic model of supporting the LSA battery business or they are too small to ever get ahead of the process of laying out their own cash for the 90-120 day period from placement of order until reimbursement by Ridgid. According to the owner of my service center in Nedrow,NY, although he continually purchases large volumes of batteries from Ridgid they don't provide him with any credit terms to make the process more justifiable to him economically. It seems like a strange system where a manufacturer won't provide credit terms to their dealers if they demonstrate a worthiness or trust ability
                        The bottom line is I certainly don't need to know the terms and conditions of the working relationship between Ridgid and its service centers. However it seems like Ridgid doesn't have something structured correctly. The input I have received from calling several score of service centers over the last year is that they(1) have a strong demand for battery replacements and that they are(2) not maintaining an inventory of batteries to meet that customer demand. The service centers are complaining about a shortcoming on Ridgids part. I don't know if this is true, however what is painfully evident is that the Ridgid customer who has reasonable expectations of obtaining battery replacemeant service from Ridgid service centers is not being meant. There have been waaaaaaay too many complaints on this forum relating to this problem. We all know that there is a much larger Ridgid customer customer base out there who are experiencing the same problems and are just giving up and becoming ex Ridgid customers. Ridgid would seem to be the entity that would be best served by fixing whatever is wrong with their system. Maybe they are doing something to correct the problem. The problem that we have on this forum is that although there have been myriad complaints regarding the problem for years we have seen zero explanation from Ridgid or the forum moderators explaining the problem or describing a fix. We see the occasional post from ProBrand asking a complainant to PM him so he can help. That is all we ever see. There is never an explanation of a resolution. The complaints just continue on and on and on. That is the unfortunate truth as I see it.
                        Would you please post what resolution was provided by ProBrand or Ridgid customer service regarding your problem. Thanks...Ray
                        Last edited by roadrashray; 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                          Would you please post what resolution was provided by ProBrand of Ridgid customer service regarding your problem. Thanks...Ray
                          You bet Ray, as soon as I hear from them. ProBrand has not gotten back to me yet.

Comment

Ray,
                            First of all Thank You! I read alot of your post....but I do have one question for you that seems to also be a problem......It is when I need to service a tool they require I have all of the items or the whole entire kit that the batteries came with. Meaning if you bought a COMBO Kit then you have to have it all together to send the batteries in for repair. We had a local service center in past years where I got my 18V replaced....but now having all of my 24v and max select products I really need good working 24v batteries. I live in Midland, MI 48640 and now have to take all repairs to Home Depot where they require me to put up $30 on each tool they send in. I have to front the cash to get a product repaired that has a lifetime warranty. Last time I sent in a pin nailer, the small 18v lithium batteries (Two entire kits sent in to get the batteries fixed....LOL) I feel the more difficuly they make it the less they have to offer and the more will just plain give up. I am not one of them......but here is the most important point......I will look to buy a different lien of tool in the future ! ! !
                            Also I have been charged in the past after sending in a tool and it coming back being said it was not broke ! Sop they kept my money....LOL Really is it lifetime? Really?
                            I have a trailer FULL of ridgid. From compressors, stands, jig saws, table saws, framing nail-er, staple and pin nailers, 110 drills and saws (3), VACCUMES, Blowers, 12v combo kits, 14.4 impacts Galore, older 18v and newer JUNKY Li slim 18v kits, and what I love the best...the max select(Planers, impacts, saws, drills, and vacuums, jig saws) 24 Volt. Love them but after a while you have to wonder how many times to I have to be the one to deal with the burden. I did all they ever asked me to do to make sure all of my tools are registered....but like others have said...WHY do we have to check and look over Ridgid's shoulder to see if they change our own registered stuff into a 3 year from what was once a Lifetime. It is a game of tricks and gotcha type of business. I will continue to buy Ridgid at this point but the further they go the more they really can not offer the lifetime and will always play games with those unlike you and I who try like hell to stay on top of them. You are a exception to what they expect for a customer...maybe me as well. I stay on top of my stuff but really imagine all of the people in the world...with just don't and buy based on a good faithed business. I think I have said enough...just getting a bit bitter with ridgid as it is a continuous game I play with them. I have three girls under the age of 11 in my household....and I do not have to cover my tracks with them as much as I have had to with Ridgid.
                            Sorry one more thing...Blades like Planer and jig saw blades.....LOL HA HA HA cannot buy them in the store is absurd....you have to call and order from ridgid only. Makes for a waiting game and very inconvenient for most. Well I have to round up all of my tools to send in to Ridgid through Home Depot and make sure all of numbers match and hand over $30 for each item....LOL And in the end like they did before...if they fell fit and item has a part out of warranty then they keep your money. I even print off my warranty info with tool names on it and in the end they still kept my cash...NOT COOL. Had a compressor that was within the 3 year warranty and they wanted to charge me for sending it in and the part not under warranty. So many tricks and loopholes.
                            Also Coil roofing nail-er not a good ridgid product at all. But Hitachi....cost more but WOW what a great reliable roofing nail er for sure! No need for a lifetime warranty for a great product.

Comment

I too really like the 24v line,[have the jigsaw,drill,circ saw, planer] when the batteries are charged. They are their best tools as you said.
                              As far as repair, I can see why they need the charger, but the whole kit, my entire 8pc. for example , ship that in, Really? Is this always the case?
                              Tools rarely cause the problem, and any battery used in it will be damaged by it , so you would have multiple dead batteries all at once. Even the charger issue, who uses the same charger only from the 1 kit? I have 6 , I never check to see which one it is. I guess with that logic you would need to bring in all the tools you own that are Ridgid cordless and have other brands as backup.... Can you see why contractors usually do not buy Ridgid cordless, I hardly ever see their cordless tools on job sites.
                              Last edited by Andrew M.; 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X