X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V Lithium-Ion Fuego battery problems

I bought the drill/driver and LED light kit 11 months ago, in December '09.

The kit came with a charger and two batteries. The drill has seen medium to light use over the last year; general homeowner duty.

The charger says both batteries are defective now. I picked up another charger and battery yesterday @ Home Depot, the new charger WILL charge the batteries to "full" in less than five minutes, but the charge is so weak you can stop the drill with an ungloved hand on the chuck easily. Useless for work.

Is this the fault of the batteries (CS0906), the charger, or both?

Can the batteries be rehabilitated? Is there a warranty program?

I'm VERY hesitant to replace them if I can't get even a year of light-duty use out of them. Time to change brands?

Re: 12V Lithium-Ion Fuego battery problems

Well if your timeline is correct, you are still under warranty. First thing I would do is take those extra batteries and charger you bought back for a refund (unless of course money is no problem); then, I get your tool, batteries, and charger to a service center for analysis and repair/replacement. Those newly purchased items should be covered under Ridgid or Home Depot's 90-day return policy, but I'm not sure.

Not know how you have used this tool and batteries (I know you said "lightly") it's hard to guess what may have gone wrong. If Li-Ion batteries set too long (months), are subject to cold temperatures (Ni-Cads like the cold, but Li-Ion does not), then they loose a charge to the point where they could possibly not be rechargeable. I think that is very rare though.

One thing that I have noticed with my Li-Ion 12V drill/driver is that they don't handle real heavy loads too well. I was driving several screws with mine when it simply bogged down and stopped. In a second or two it would work, but only for few seconds and then it would stop again.... repeating this process several times. Then, that particular battery simply would not take a charge. I waited to the next day and it seemed to charge just fine and I've been using it every since (about a year now).

I believe that these batteries have a circuit built into them that protects them from overheating when heavily loaded.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I am having the same problem with a R82008 drill/screw gun that came with a light & 2 12V LI ON batteries. The first kit I bought both batteries showed as defective right out of the box. Brought it back to Home Depot for exchange. 2nd kit had 1 good , one battery that showed as "defective" on the charger, but worked. Now, about a year later the batteries barely take a charge and both show as defective on the charger. How can I get these replaced?

Comment

Ric8138,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

Well, after a year you are still within the 3-year warranty period. So, all you have to do is get the entire package to your nearest Ridgid Service Center. They will need to see your batteries, the charger, and the tool in order to do a complete and thorough check to make sure that everything is functioning properly and that nothing out of the ordinary is damaging the batteries or charger.

Once you locate the Service Center, it is best to give them a call and explain the situation and then follow thier recommendation on either taking of shipping the package to them.

Hopefully, you have taken the time to properly register the tools in order to get the "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement". With that, you will never have to worry. Otherwise, you've still got the remainder of what's left of your 3-year warranty.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
        X