X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Wont Hold Drills Tight????

I just bought a compact 180 dollar 1/2 Ridgid batt pwrd drill. What is up with these chucks? Anyone else have a chuck that wont hold a drill tight?

Does Ridgid come on here and help?

Also if you charge a LI battery and let it set for a few weeks will it drain? Mine seem to?

Denco

Re: Chuck Wont Hold Drills Tight????

Good morning Denco, I'm Ray the Hammer,and I can help. First the chuck, The obvious answer is that you're not holding the chuck tight enough to tighten it. In addition to being a blacksmith, I work at The Home Depot and see this more often than you can imagine, so set it to the highest clutch setting, insert the drill bit, and pull the trigger. Make sure that the forward/reverse switch is in foward and it should lock down tight. Now that is the obvious answer to the problem. If you're doing all that correctly, and it still isn't working, you got a bad drill,and since you say you just bought it, you should return it, simple enough, and get a new one.
    Now the battery issue... these batterys shold not be losing their charge that quickly. You got some defective batteries, so that is another reason to return the drill. Lithium or NiCad batteries should'nt discharge that quickly. Lithium batteries will hold their charge much longer than NiCad.
    You don't mention where you purchased this drill, or if you filled out the lifetime service agreement stuff, so you need to do that with your new drill or if you did, take them to a service center to be checked out. Ridgid has excellent warrenty coverage, but on some other posts, I've read that there is a slight backlog of paperwork on the Ridgid end, so be patient. I don't know if that is true or not, I'm just passing on the information.
    I hope this helps, so keep me informed, I'd like to now the resolution.

Comment

Re: Chuck Wont Hold Drills Tight????

Originally posted by denco View Post
      I just bought a compact 180 dollar 1/2 Ridgid batt pwrd drill. What is up with these chucks? Anyone else have a chuck that wont hold a drill tight?

Does Ridgid come on here and help?

Also if you charge a LI battery and let it set for a few weeks will it drain? Mine seem to?

Denco
      1- Chucks-Actually with the Ratcheting chucks that have been in use the last few years the manufacturers warn against "powering" the chuck close. When we first started buying the Dewalt drills with the ratcheting chucks several years ago, our workers were so accustomed to powering the chucks closed that they continued to do so. Within a few months we started having chuck problems. The repair center told us we were damaging the chucks by powering them closed. Ridgid specifically states in their Owners manual on
      pg 7 to "do not power the chuck closed". I tried to cut and paste from their online manual, however my limited computer skills wouldn't allow that. We have told our crews that any damaged chucks from misuse and they pay the repair bills. This is true with all mfgrs. with the ratcheting chucks. I power the chuck just until it starts to engage the bit and then hand tighten the rest of the way. I suggest you try tightening the chuck more firmly. If that doesn't work I would exchange it as there is something wrong. We have at least 15 Ridgid drills with the ratcheting chucks which are used and abused every day and have had no problems with them. Tighten that puppy down and I believe it will be fine.
      2-LI batts-It has been our experience that Ridgid LI batts will self discharge faster than any other brand we use, which includes Makita, Roto tool, and some other brand which I can't remember. Since we are contractors and using our tools every day it is not a problem. For homeowners who may use their tools infrequently, it has been suggested by knowledgeable posters on this forum that they charge the batts at least once per month so they won't "deep discharge" which can cause permanent damage. There is no problem with charging LI batts in this manner.
      Hope this has been helpful....Ray
      Last edited by roadrashray; 11-12-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X