X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JobMax question

A need for a multi tool and the HD online deal for the job max with free extra head coincided and I picked one up (w/impact driver). Turns out to be a really nice tool and what I think is a good deal.

However. It seems that either I have a defective switch OR when the battery gets low the tool just stops working. But it seems like it might be a switch issue when it randomly works and doesn't work when trigger depressed. Putting battery briefly in charger gets it working properly again.

For other users. How does your tool act as the battery gets low?

Re: JobMax question

Forgot to subscribe....thanks for any help.

Comment

lithium ion batteries don't really run down and slow down. they just die. kind of like full speed to nothing.

make sure the batteries are fully charged. also i've found that with some li tools, if you overload the tool, it will also stop running. but will start up when you take the load off.

you have 2 batteries. do both have the same issues?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

one battery.

not the overload type of issue.

the thing about it that I didn't explain well is that although it does seem to happen towards the end of what I would expect to be the charge life, it stops and won't run but then with some repeated attempts it will run and continue to run until I let off the trigger (including with a load) and then kind of repeats the issue.

Comment

Yep! Been there, done that.... the battery needs to be fully charged, as PlumberRick said.

Li-Ion batteries simply die, when they are getting low. Also, because this is a brand-new battery, it isn't 100% functional yet, and will take a few discharges and recharges before it reaches full capacity.

The Li-Ion batteries also have a safety circuit built in, that prevents the battery from overloading (thus causing excessive heating) and possible failure. I've notice that with both my 12-V Li-Ion drill/driver and my Job Max, that they will simply stop and then after a few seconds will allow current to flow again, although rather shortly. It very much acts like something is wrong with the trigger, but it's really the batteries safety circuitry attempting to save the battery and thus is trying to tell you that it's in serious need of a charge.

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

CWS

Comment

CW i dont have Li batteries yet but some one i work with his dont just die off any more but does slow down . he said it is ok to run it very low is this true .
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Charlie,

I am certainly not an expert, but with any of the rechargeables that I use (NiCads and Li-Ion for power tools and NiCads and NiMhd [Nickel Metal Hydride] for my Ham Radio equipment and emergency lights), I run them all down to the point where they won't run the equipment anymore. The only exception is with lights, which can actually take the battery much too low, at least in the case of NiCads.

It has been my experience with Li-Ion batteries, used on my two Ridgid power tools, that they simply won't drain down to nothing, and will basically exhibit those stop, hesitation, start symptoms that is being reported by JackDaDog. Others might well experience some other symptoms, and it may well depend on the particular brand's battery design. But with the three Ridgid 12-V batteries that I have, used with the original compact Drill/Driver (not the 2-speed one that is presently available) and the Job Max, they appear to simply work one minute and stop the next, and have that "now it works and now it doesn't" on and off symptom, as if it was a defective trigger.

According to the manual, these batteries contain a "safety circuit" and I suspect that is what causes that kind of shut down, when the battery is low or low enough not to handle the load. Also I have noted that these batteries simply will NOT take any heavy loading. Using my drill driver to drive a series of screws, when the battery started to get low, it just stalled and shutoff! The first time that happened, I thought I broke the poor little thing! I immediately tried to put it on the charger, and it wouldn't charge at all, and indicated that the battery was defective. I wasn't at all happy. But the next morning I tried to recharge the battery again and it was fine and has worked ever since. (That was almost a year ago.) But, I have not attempted to use the driver in that manner again, preferring instead to use one of my NiCad powered drivers. My ever-handy Ridgid 9.4-Volt "Pivot Driver" seems to have more torque and doesn't exhibit any of the load problems of the compact 12-Volt Li-Ion driver. (I wish Ridgid still made that, as it's proven to be a real worker.)

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

well just to check back in (thanks for the replies BTW)

I was at the Depot today and talked to one of the tool guys. He decided that it sounded possibly defective (the part about firing back up and working under load). I'm not totally sure after reading the thread, but no matter cause I exchanged it right then.

used the impact driver today...I really like this tool.

Comment

It's the nature of lithium batteries. I have the Milwaukee M12 which a battery gauge on them. When the battery gets low, it flashes 1 light. Fully charged is 4 lights. When the light flashes, I get the same happenings as you do. Just recharge the battery and you'll be fine.

Comment

JackDaDog,

Don't forget to take a few minutes and register this tool for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement! It is well worth it, as it will cover the battery and charger, as well as other service components. With the LLSA, you'll be guaranteed batteries for as long as you own this tool!

In case you are not aware of the requirements, you need to register the information online here: https://register.ridgidpower.com/

You will also need to cut the UPC from the carton, send that and a copy of your receipt to address given on the registration card that came with the tool.

Make sure you date a letter you send with the receipt copy, the UPC code, and include your name, address, phone number, model number, serial number, registration number (provided on your "dashboard" when you register onliine). Include all the components: handle, power head, drill/driver (if that's part of the purchase), all batteries, charger, etc..

Send that in and wait about four months (and be sure you follow up with a phone call if necessary). Eventually you'll see the item on your "dashboard" updated from "3-year Warranty" to "Limited Lifetime Service".

I know it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. If you're as slow as I am, it might take you a half-hour or so. But, it's worth it. Batteries don't last forever and with the LLSA, the service centers will replace them free! It's a good deal, for only a short amount of your time. (And remember, regardless of what someone else might tell you, the LLSA is only available IF YOU PROPERLY REGISTER.)

CWS

Comment

CWS,

Thanks for another awesome post, would love for you Rick and others here to join us at Home Depots fairly new How-to-Community found at www.community.homedepot.com and share some great advice there as well!

I would add to this but you, Rick, and Museum Guy have pretty much nailed it.

Keep up the good work here!

Comment

CWSmith, I have a question about a job max broblem I hope you or anyone can help with. I understand about the batteries needing recharge when they start acting like this. Nature of the beast with the safety circuit. My Job max with either battery will not work unless I twist on the handle. When I let go it will stop working. This is the second one that I have gotten that does this. It is now in the repair center with 3 other Job Max units with the same problem. The repair shop in Sacramento claims that they do not yet know what the problem is and it may take 3 weeks to find out. I have been searching for a solution to give them as I need my Job Max repaired in a bad way. Any Ideas what this could be? Sounds to me like a bad wire that touches when twisted on, then released and it no longer touches. I know it cant be my batteries, they work fine in other tools. Thanks for any help Larry

Comment

Working...
                        X