X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting more oomph! from 3650

I like my TS 3650 and have been using it to build my own quartersawn white oak kitchen cabinets along with other projects. Great saw in my opinion. But recently, it has been binding up in my cuts. I mean, the blade stops. Now I replaced my Freud blade, and the wood I'm cutting isn't warped or wet or anything. What do you think is happening? How can I tighten up my belt -- it seems already to be at its max tension (which isn't too tight)? Should I get a new belt? Do they wear out/stretch out over time? I've had the saw for about 18 months. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: getting more oomph! from 3650

If the blade stops, but the motor doesn't, the set screw on one of the pulleys may have loosened, letting the pulley spin. Also, check to make sure nothing is interfering with the motor mount plate moving fully in and out as the blade is raised and lowered. Make sure the motor is not resting against an outfeed table, etc, when you drop the blade down.

Look in the owners manual on proper tensioning of the belt. It is done by moving the motor assy in or out. The tension is provided by a combination of the spring tension in the mount plate and the weight of the motor.

I have had mine for almost 5 years, and it has seen a lot of use. Still running the original belt with no problems.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
      If the blade stops, but the motor doesn't, the set screw on one of the pulleys may have loosened, letting the pulley spin.
      Go
      aren't the pulleys on the 3650 keyed? wouldn't loose set screws cause the pulleys to move along their shafts rather than spin, assuming the keys haven't fallen out?
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I just finished building qswo kitchen cabinets a couple months ago. I have a 3650 and used a freud 50t combo blade for most of my cuts including resawing. I ran into the same problem. Thought it was a power issue, and realized 2 things: my blade needed re-sharpening; and the boards were binding against the blade due to internal stresses in the wood. During the resaw process, I rigged a makeshift splitter. For ripping, I put my blade guard back on to utilize the splitter. Once I did that, the binding issue went away, and everything went smoothly. I've also found too much tension on the belt will lead to the blade stopping too. Good luck. I've really developed a liking for qswo now.

Comment

As mentioned in the previous posts, there's lots of things to look at in trying to find the remedy and I think all of them are very valid, though I haven't had the experience myself.

But to answer your question about belts: yes, they can stretch, but it's not likely, IMO, as you haven't had them that long and you state that the tension isn't overly tight. (Belts should only be tight enougn to prevent slippage.) I would think that the problem exists in one of the previously posted suggestions, or perhaps from the belts and/or pulley's being "glazed". Have you tried cleaning the pulleys and belts?

I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Comment

Alignment, setup, and blade selection are the big factors in this equation. It's worth double checking everything...blade alignment, splitter alignment, fence, throat insert, pulley alignment, belts, etc. Even a new blade can be the wrong blade for the job, and even a new blade may not be as sharp as it should be, and may still get dirty quickly....keep them clean. A high quality lower tooth count thin kerf blade like the Freud LU87 or Infinity 010-124 will have the least amount of resistance.

Also be sure there's nothing else running on the saw's electrical circuit. You might try blowing the dust out of the motor, and check inside the capacitor cans to make sure they're not bad (you'll see tell tale signs if they're bad). If all else checks out and you have 220v available, you might find switching to 220v helps get full amperage to the motor.

It's kind of radical, but if all else fails, you could always consider going with a slightly larger 15-18 amp motor (the stock motor is 13 amp IIRC).

Comment

Switching to 220 did the trick for me. Not that the voltage helped, rather the exclusivity on the circuit.

Also make sure the belt tension is set correctly so that it is ALWAYS the spring that is tensioning the belt throughout its range of travel, 5% compression at one end and 95% at the other. Use a one-hand bar clamp as a spreader to get the tension up.

Buy a new blade, and make sure the fence is parallel.

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                X