X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill/drivers - 12V or 18V for DIY/Homeowner duty

I'm looking at either the Ridgid 18V 86006 (here) for $229 (will get when on sale), or this Ridgid 12V 82007 (here). I specifically am interested in Ridgid for the lifetime battery warranty. I've gone through an expensive Craftsman drill (two 19.6V batteries, both toast now), as well as a Mastercraft (Canadian Tire brand).

I want a "lifetime" drill - something that will suit me well for a long, long time. I am looking for general homeowner duty, must be able to drill 3/4" holes with a spade bit through joists with relative ease (no burning out or stalling/overheating). I have a corded electric that handles mortar or paint mixing duties as its literally indestructible.

Would I really be better off with the 18V (dual speed as well), or the 12V at half the price?
    I like the overall length (front-to-back) of both of these drills, as getting between joists with some drills is impossible -- these look short enough to not have that problem.

What advantages does one have over the other that I need to know?

Thanks for any help folks!
    Eric

Re: Drill/drivers - 12V or 18V for DIY/Homeowner duty

Eric,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

In my opinion, I'd forget about the 12-volt compact drill and go with the 18-volt model. While you say "DIY/Homeowner duty", drilling 3/4" holes through floor joists is going to take some torque and the bigger drill would be better, IMO.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

You can never have too many tools! For general purpose drilling/screwing, I prefer the lighter weight and maneuverability of a 12 volt. I still have my Dewalt 12 volt which is almost 20 years old.

For larger holes or a lot of deck screws, the extra ooomph of the 18 volter is welcome.

The secret to boring with spade bits is to sharpen or replace the bits often!

Comment

i got one of those 12v drills as part of a jobmax combo kit. i also have 9.6, 14.4, 18 and 24V drill/drivers. while there's nothing like "more power", i am looking forward to using the 12v for more delicate, precise work like cabinetry. BTW, never buy individual cordless power tools. always buy tools in a combo kit. the cost per tool is much higher on individual item purchases.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Let me follow up on my first reply.

I have the first version of the 12-Volt Li-Ion Drill Driver. It does not have the speed switch, and therefore is only for the slower speed setting, primarily built for driving, and thus does not have the higher speed required for serious drilling, as would the current 12-Volt Li-Ion model.

While I would normally recommend this tool for DIY/Homeowner use, my experience with it is that it does a great job of lightweight, smaller drilling and some lightweight driving. Though the torque specs are better than my 9.6-Volt NiCad Ridgid Pivot Driver, the fact is that the 9.6 will drive more screws without stalling. The 12-V Li-Ion just dies when under heavy torque... to the point where I seriously thought I killed the battery.

I've used it since, but under heavy load it does not perform all that well, and often just quits. My personal opinion is that it has much to do with the Li-Ion battery and I'm under the impression that it simply cannot handle that kind of a load, or at least the same load as a NiCad.

So for that reason, I cannot see this as a tool that will drive anything like a 3/4 hole or series of holes in joists. For that reason alone you really should have the 18-Volt. Other than that, the 12-V Li-Ion would be fine.

Finer999 is correct in that buying a "combo" with more tools is a much better buy. If you feel the 12-V is the better tool, the JobMax Multi-Tool is an excellent tool and, as a DIY person myself, I wishs they had come out with this tool years ago. They do have that "combo" with the JobMax and the 12-V Li-Ion Compact drill and it is priced around $130 or so.

Personally speaking, if your 3/4 hole drilling is less often a need, I think I would reserve that to a corded drill, which can be purchased much cheaper than a cordless of any brand. In that case, I'd go with the Job-Max and Compact drill combo and buy a seperate corded drill.

CWS

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think the initial thought to go with the 18V is what I'll go with. The JobMax seems a bit gimmicky (to me anyhow). I already have an air-powered impact as well as an electric impact for lag bolts. I also have a nice Dremel tool for tight spaces.
            Another thing the 18V would work better with in my case is drilling out hardened steel bolts that seize up on my car. I can't see a 12V having the oomph and longevity required to drill for 30+ minutes on some suspension bolts.

Thanks a lot for the insight guys!
            Eric

Comment

Working...
            X