X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with my new wet dry vac

I recently purchased the WD1250 wet dry vac. I used it once... worked great, today I attempted my second use and during the use it shut off and I cannot get it to turn back on. I have only used it for dry applications so far. I was vacuuming ashes out of the wood stove (no chance of them being warm ashes as the stove had not been used in many months). I thought maybe it was due to the fine ashes clogged it and maybe there was a reset switch. I cannot seem to find anything in the manual. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Keith

Re: problems with my new wet dry vac

Welcome to the Ridgid forum

Sounds like a defect! Only other problem that I can think of would be if you ran it for a very long time and burned out the motor because the filter was clogged. Ashes can be very fine and possibly plug the filter, in which case it is possible to have the motor overheat and fail. However, if I recall correctly, there was a "recall" of sorts a few years ago, in which an adaptor was available that would relieve this "overload" problem, because of filter clogging on older units. I would think that any new vac would have incorporated this design.

(My experience with drywall and saw dust has been that the vacs are very reliable and quite rugged. I do make it a habit of checking the vac often, my feeling the motor housing to make sure it isn't getting hot. And of course, I empty it often.)

Considering the short length of time you mention, I would think something else is wrong. If you are still under the 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee, I'd simply return it, tell them what happened and simply get another one. Beyond that time, you're only alternative is to take or send it to an authorized service center for examination and service under the warranty.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

CWS,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I am sure I couldn't have had the vac running for more than 5-6 minutes when it shut off on me. It did seem to work like a champ when i bought it to clean the sawdust from my hardwood floors after sanding them down. At that time I had run it for some considerable amounts of time without incident. I think I may have lucked out with timing since i think it was about 8-9 weeks ago when i purchased it so I will bring it back and try that route. Thanks!

Comment

Good show. Let us know how you make out, but I seriously doubt that you will have any challenger whatsoever.

I have two Ridgid 12-gal vacs, both of which are over five years old by now. Their terrific and I have yet to have any problems with them. They're also very "strong" and I use one daily in my shop where I hook it to whatever power tool that I'm using. Darn thing has sucked a heck of a lot of sawdust over the years, without any incidences.

The Ridgid forum is really a great place to participate. There's lots of very experienced members and a definite willingness to share their knowledge, opinions, and even a bit of good-natured humor too.

Welcome and good luck with the new vac.

CWS

Comment

no problems returning my vac, except the only one they were out of stock was the 12 gallon I had purchased. I decided to spend another $20 and go with the 14 gallon rather than wait until they got more in stock or downsizing to the 9 gallon. I felt good about the purchase after seeing CWSmith's confidence in the brand. Thanks so much for your help here! Glad to be a part of the community.

Comment

Working...
          X