X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R4512 Table Saw fence rail problem

Been a long time owner of ridgid items and almost purchased every power tool ridgid makes. I have been looking for a decent contractor table saw for some time and ran across this new R4512 that just arrive at my local HD. I was concerned about Ridgid quality after all the problems with the previous 4511 granite top saw, but I went ahead and made the jump based on the quality of fence and cast iron top on the store model.

Once I got home I unloaded this beast....by myself that is....and began the tedious task of setting the saw up. It is well put together and I do like the lift much better than the previous herculift. However, once I began to attach the rail assembly, I ran into my first problem. I noticed that the scale strip was damaged. The way this saw is shipped, the rail is placed in styrafoam directly in front of the saw cabinet. Unfortunately, the bevel handle screw drive is placed directly in front of the rail and it must have slid around during transport. The bevel screw has torn the 10" mark completely and rubbed a round groove into the rail where it was pushing against the cabinet.

Secondly, when I mounted the rail and followed the adjustment directions, I slide the fence back and forth and it tends to go downhill as you move away from the blade. It moves down so much it hangs in the miter fence grooves on the cast iron table. This almost seems like the cast iron table is warped, but I placed a straightedge on it and that was not the case. I tried re-adjusting the fence rails but could not get them to lift up enough to clear the miter tracks enough not to bottom out and fall into it.

I am wondering if the rails were damaged during shipping and they are twisted. Unfortunately, I hate to have to completely package this saw back up and take it back over rails, especially after I already put 5 hours into setup and alignment. Not to mention all the sweat and back pain from lifting this thing by myself.

Any answers from those in the know would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Kevin

Re: Ridgid R4512 Table Saw fence rail problem

Kevin - I'd try checking the rails to see if they're straight....either with a straight edge, or on a level floor. If they're noticeably off, a picture might suffice as proof so that new fence rail parts can be sent as opposed to replacing the whole saw. Your local HD might even exchange the rails if they're bent. You might even try straightening them slightly using a couple of small blocks on each end...if you're comfortable trying it.

The measuring tape is an easy replacement. It should be covered under warranty, but a new one can be purchased from most wwing supply stores for < $10.

Comment

I have no experience with this saw and have yet to see one in the stores (other than one in a box, that is).

I agree with Hewood, regarding checking to see if the rails are actually bent and certainly for taking some pictures of the damage.

Yes, it would be a total PIA to have to return the whole saw, and I'd go to whatever lengths necessary to avert that. But I don't know that I would try to straighten or repair in any way the damage, as these parts should be replaced and certainly Ridgid and Home Depot should know of the problem so that they can possibly change their procedures.

I'd call Ridgid Customer Service and tell them of the problem and see what they can do, and of course let the particular Home Depot know immediately about the problem. Hopefully HD, will come through for you with just the parts you need; but if not, then having reported this to Ridgid CS, will go a long way in getting your satisifaction.

From my understanding (from several sources), much of the problem with the 4511, was damage occurring at Home Depot. These things are heavy and certainly the 4511 with it's granit top was monstrously so. There were instructions that they should not be stacked and yet that seemed to be the standard procedure at Home Depot. That led to crushing and a lot of in-box damage, which was passed on to the buyer. I've been told that the design was good, and certainly the public appeal was very good, but the overwhelming damage because of mishandling by the retailer and their internal practices was what destroyed the product.

Let us hope that your experience withe 4512 is not a picture of future experiences. Personally, I think Home Depot needs to address what appears to be some very serious issues with regard to handling of any of it's products. One can walk through any of their stores, and it is easy to see appliances, lumber, or almost anything else that isn't dinged, scratched, gouged, rammed, dented, or showing some kind of assault damage.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks again guys for all your help. I am going to work on this thing a bit more today and see if I can get it aligned a bit more but if not I will call the local HD where I got it and see if they will swap parts with me. Unfortunately, it sounds like HD is still stocking this improperly, and while they may not be as heavy as the granite model, these are certainly no light weight @ 270lbs but they were stacked on top of each other. anyway.

If I can't get anywhere with HD, I will certainly call the CS department, as I am not about to load this thing back up and take it back over a rail. I am sure somebody will come through with a fix.

Thanks,
        Kevin

Comment

Update on my R4512 problems. After spending the weeknights fighting the alignment of the fence/rails/extension wings I finally gave in and went back to home depot for some assistance. I mentioned to the tool corral rep about my concerns with the new saw and asked him if it would be possible to just swap the parts with the saw that was on the floor new in box. He got me with the assistant manager (Michael) on duty who agreed it would be unnecessary to package the whole thing up for those few parts and he would just swap anything I brought back with the one in the box.

I promptly returned home, disassembled everything and took the wings and rails back to HD. I met Michael and we went back to swap the parts in the box. Upon opening the box, we ran across the same problem I had. The saw cabinet is barely secured by weak styrofoam and moves around inside the box enough that it comes in contact with the rails. The rails are placed in close proximity to the rod that raises and lowers the blade. During transport it slams into the thin aluminum rails such that it damages the measurement tape strip, and also dents the aluminum rail. Needless to say Michael was sorry and furious that Ridgid is sending items like this. We opened one more box and found similar damage to a third rail set, only this time, the rails were just slightly scratched by the cabinet. Michael contacted the manager on duty to inform him of the problem and that they would need to open every ridgid table saw in inventory and check for damage. Once the manager dropped by, he made the comment to me that if I wanted the rails that were slightly scratched he would give me a discount for having the run-around with this. He also informed me that they were having numerous returns on Ridgid drills, planers, and batteries so he was not surprised.

I am not against Ridgid, and I knew going into this that the saw was a Craftsman in disguise, but I am getting concerned about their QC. I own the jointer, free standing drill press, an X2 4pc set, 24V jig saw, 24V circular saw, 2930 Router, RO sander, fuego circular saw, and MSUV (New model) so needless to say I am a ridgid fan especially for the LSA. However, it seems here lately Ridgid is hit or miss. I have two Li-on batteries that barely hold 15 minutes of power on the drill and the recip saw will sap them quick and I am being told I cannot return them without sending the whole X2 set back. I hope that this table saw will not be a constant problem with alignment from here on, but I am concerned. Not to mention, even with the LSA it may be a PITA to get it repaired. Hope someone can set my mind at ease or at least point me in the right direction to get service and possibly get Ridgid to look into their QC issues.

FYI, the replacement rails/extension wings did fix the alignment problems and they appear to be more accurate, although the two-piece rail system is a joke, and the fence rubs on it or has to be lifted to go over it because the rails do not line up well enough to allow the fence to slide freely. I would pay a bit more to have a one piece rail and cast iron wings, but I hope Ridgid reads this and looks into this saw. It is possible it can be a decent TS but it needs some work.

Thanks,
          Kevin

Comment

Hopefully ProBrand or someone else will read this thread and feedback to TTI the problems with packaging. If this is occuring on all the saws sent out or even half they will have so many frustrated customers (and HD store managers) that the introduction of this new table saw will be a disaster if not addressed quickly.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I bought mine today, and my fence was fine. All packaging was intact.

I totally see what you are talking about, though. If the packaging gives way and the saw slides, that protrusion is going to bang right into that part of the fence. Seems like a oversight when designing the packaging.

Comment

Here's a picture of what I believe he's talking about:

Comment

Regdor,

Thanks for the pic, that is exactly what I am talking about. And out of three saws at HD, two of them had slid so much the rod was into the fence. Since the cast iron table is upside down, it has to rip through the side of the box to slide around enough but with 300lbs against thin styrofoam it is not that protected.

By the way, did your front fence rails fit together cleanly, or is there a slight lip around all sides which leads to the fence catching on it as it slides?

Thanks for providing everyone with the pic to describe what I am seeing.

Maybe Ridgid will look into this before they have another disaster like the 4511.

Comment

Greetings Kevin,

I am happy that everything seemed to work out for you, I only saw the post today as I was spending time with family and friends during the Holiday.

We at Home Depot take customer service issues very seriously, and I am quite pleased that the store manager solved the problem in a timely manner.

Please send me a note if you have any further or future concerns, I can be reached at www.community.homedepot.com and my user id is HD 116.

Happy Holidays to You and Yours,

Comment

Originally posted by regdor1999 View Post
                      Here's a picture of what I believe he's talking about:

Looks like one or two pieces of folded cardboard or some foam could eliminate this problem altogether. I hate to see more foam used as it never goes away/breaks down, but this is a time when its use is justified.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I know this is an older thread, just wanted to add that I just pruchased this saw and assembled it yesterday, and apparently the packaging has been improved as mine was not as the picture above indicates, and had no damage at all. And the point where the rail halves join together is virtually seemless and smooth. I have zero complaints, so far it appears to be an amazing saw for the price paid ($499)...time will tell

Comment

Working...
                        X