X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD4070 Portable Vac- Filter Replacement

I have a WD4070 and went to replace the filter today. I unscrewed the white nut and took off the filter. I opened the new filter I bought at the store today (the shortened 3 layer fine dust filter) and it is different than the one that originally came in the machine. The filter originally on the vac has a gasket glued to the filter, not a separate filter plate. The filter I purchased is just a plain filter- no gasket or plate. ???

And yes, the filter and the gasket are absolutely attached. They are glued together. I even ended up ripping the gasket trying to remove it from the filter because it is just some sort of flimsy foam rubber type of material.

Of course, it didn't come with an owners manual and there isn't one available online. Any ideas?

Re: WD4070 Portable Vac- Filter Replacement

Originally posted by acass View Post
    I have a WD4070 and went to replace the filter today. I unscrewed the white nut and took off the filter. I opened the new filter I bought at the store today (the shortened 3 layer fine dust filter) and it is different than the one that originally came in the machine. The filter originally on the vac has a gasket glued to the filter, not a separate filter plate. The filter I purchased is just a plain filter- no gasket or plate. ???

And yes, the filter and the gasket are absolutely attached. They are glued together. I even ended up ripping the gasket trying to remove it from the filter because it is just some sort of flimsy foam rubber type of material.

Of course, it didn't come with an owners manual and there isn't one available online. Any ideas?
    the new filters just pop on without the plate and nut

Comment

That can't be the case because then the air wouldn't be circulating through the filter. The filter is open on the bottom. If there is no gasket/plate on the bottom, then the air can come up through the bottom and bypass the filter completely.

Comment

I'm not familiar with your particular model, I have the older 12-gal WD 1245.

You are right in that the older filters (at least with mine) are basically like a corragated filter paper held between two plastic ring ends that are open on each end and have a soft rubber seal around the edge of the opening on both ends of the filter.

That then sits down over the motor filter cage and the existing cap and nut are used to retain it in position; and of course the rubber seal on both ends of the filter would ensure that the air flow was though the filter, and not leaking into either end.

So, is this new filter too short? Or, is it just that the rubber seals are missing, and could this simply be a possible defect in that one particular filter?

CWS

Comment

This filter is the right size (this is a 4gal portable vac, so it uses a shorter filter). The filter that I purchased is exactly as you described- it has the rubber flanges on the top and bottom and you secure it in place with the separate cap.

However, the filter that came on the unit has the "cap" built-in on the bottom (the cheap foam rubber that is glued directly to the paper filter). There is only a small hole in the bottom to accomodate the threaded screw at the bottom of the filter cage, and then the nut screws on and secures the filter. There is no separate cap.

I don't know what the heck is going on. And, of course, there are no separate cap parts listed for this model.

Comment

Acass,

Okay, so I finally located the manual for this (Ridgid should fix the product page, so you can get the manual link there and NOT have to go searching through Google).

By the instructions, I can only guess that the filter that you purchased is incompletely assembled and thus defective... unless of course it's a completely different model, shoved into the wrong box. According to the manual, the filter should be a VF3500.

On page 5, it states:

"To install a new filter you must first
            determine which filter attachment system
            is used on your Vac.
            The filter cage has a stud on the end with
            either screw threads to receive a filter
            nut, or the Qwik Lock™ ball end which
            will allow the filter to snap into place
            without a filter nut or other attachment
            hardware.
            The stud type will determine which of the
            following sets of instructions should be
            used."

The illustration on page 6 shows a cutaway of the "Qwik Lock" filter, which has an integral fastening plate on top (with to tabs) and a rubber gasket on the bottom, which is clearly pointed to.

Yet in the opening illustration, showing the loose parts, the filter is illustrated with as an open-ended cylindrical type, similar to what I described for my 12-gallon vac (although somewhat shorter). (You may note that on the product page, it also shows this open-ended filter also... but of course, that doesn't match with "Qwik-Lock" filter that is shown in the owner's manual.)

I do have a recently purchased 6-gallon vac that uses a similar "Qwik-Lock" filter, though longer than the one required for your particular vac. I do not see other optional filters or optional parts that would allow you to use a filter of the type that is troubling you.

So, my suggestion would be to return the replacement filter that you have and check another box to make sure that it is of the Qwik-Lock type.

Again, if the particular filter that is in question is marked as a VF3500, then I can only assume it is a defect or possibly old inventory that may have fitted with an older model... though that doesn't explain the lack of an integral gasket.

I hope this helps,

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Could you post the link to the manual? I Googled but can't find it.

If the Quick Lock filter attaches with tabs at the top, then it does not have a hole in the bottom, correct?

According to the box, this is the correct filter. And it can't be another type of filter in the wrong box because I believe it is the only shortened filter Rigid makes. Now, if Rigid has changed the installation method for this type of filter system, that is another story. You would think that they would make note of that on the vac and/or filter box. However, there is no reference on my vac box or the new filter box to indicate any difference in filter systems. Also, there is nothing on the WD4070 boxes currently at the Home Depot (to be sure I was buying the right filter, I double-checked the vac info when I bought the replacement filter).

It's like my filter is a hybrid of the two. Although it has an integrated gasket, it isn't the Quick Lock because it uses a screw/nut attachment, does not have attachments tabs on the top, and it has a screw hole in the bottom. However, it isn't the old system because there is no bottom plate.

Comment

Originally posted by acass View Post
                Could you post the link to the manual? I Googled but can't find it.

If the Quick Lock filter attaches with tabs at the top, then it does not have a hole in the bottom, correct?

According to the box, this is the correct filter. And it can't be another type of filter in the wrong box because I believe it is the only shortened filter Rigid makes. Now, if Rigid has changed the installation method for this type of filter system, that is another story. You would think that they would make note of that on the vac and/or filter box. However, there is no reference on my vac box or the new filter box to indicate any difference in filter systems. Also, there is nothing on the WD4070 boxes currently at the Home Depot (to be sure I was buying the right filter, I double-checked the vac info when I bought the replacement filter).

It's like my filter is a hybrid of the two. Although it has an integrated gasket, it isn't the Quick Lock because it uses a screw/nut attachment, does not have attachments tabs on the top, and it has a screw hole in the bottom. However, it isn't the old system because there is no bottom plate.
                a few pics would help. Cant understand by your descriptions

Comment

Acass,

No, the tabs on the top of the filter aren't used for mounting... at least not directly. With the new style filter, there is either still the threaded center post or a post that has a knob or bulge (it's called a "Qwik Lock stud". The new style filter simple sits down over the post, and if the vac has the thread, you use the nut; and if not, the filter just snaps over the stud and you press the center of the filter top to snap it in place and you lift on the two tabs to pop the filter loose.

In any case, the owner's manual explains it much better and there's an illustration: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...zjBhwzjGhig4iw

Here's a link to the existing product page, where it shows the picture and gives a marketing description of the 4070

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/WD4070-P...c/EN/index.htm

Also, I've attached a picture of the WD4070 from that webpage (see below)

Note the picture of the filter, which looks to me exactly as what you describe your newly purchased filter looks like (if I am interpreting your explanation correctly)... and that doesn't look anything like the filter that is illustrated in the owner's manual.

It doesn't look anything like the current VF3500 filter that is used on the current 4070 either. I couldn't find the new-style filter here on the Ridgid site, but did find it on the Home Depot site and have attached it (see second picture below). Also, here is a link to the Home Depot page, showing the same picture (that's where I copied it from) and giving the description, price and SKU. http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

At this point I'm not sure what is going on, but again it appears that there has been a change. So what does your old filter look like the one in the first picture or the one in the second?

After looking at the various new Ridgid Vac models and Home Depot page, I'm getting the impression that this newer Qwik Lock style filter is replacing all of the older open-ended filters. Basically it does the same job, except that with the new design, you no longer need the old cap... just slide the Qwik Lock over the threaded mount and still use the old plastic nut.

Also at this point, I'm curious as to why you are changing the filter and wonder if your original was damaged and that is the reason? I'm still using the same filter on my old 12-gal as they are washable. I have the original filter as well as one for fine debris like drywall dust. Both have been used for a few years and I just clean them every now and then.

I hope this helps, and I'll look for your reply in case I can be of further assistance.

CWS
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 11-23-2010, 02:17 AM.

Comment

After doing a bit of back and forth "clicking around" I found this page:

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/vacfilters.phtml

It shows several Ridgid filter products and if you will note all of the pleated filters are of the new Qwik-Lock design... except of course for the short pleated filter like used on the 4070. But again, that picture is completely different than the same model filter it shows on the Home Depot web site. I think the picture shown here on the Ridgid site, is simply the old style.

Interesting

CWS

Comment

Ah! Thanks so much! I think I have got it now with your help! I must have the new filter style with the integrated bottom gasket, but it still uses the screw nut rather than the "Qwik Lock".

One of the things that was driving me crazy was that everywhere I looked (product info sheet, product video, online store, etc), the old filter was pictured. The filter that came on my machine is indeed the one that is shown in the Home Depot link.

My guess is that they are shipping the new machines with this new filter style, but are stocking the old open-bottom style in store as replacement filters. Wish Rigid would have noted that on either the vac or filters boxes, would have had the owners manual readily available at their manual site, or had the new style of filter available as a replacement part on the Rigid site.
                      Now I am off to return the replacement filter I bought. I guess I will have to purchase the proper filter via the Home Depot website. What a pain!

(To answer your question, I am replacing the original filter because I had to use my vac to clean up an extremely messy #2 my sister's dog did on my carpet. I decided it was best to buy a new one rather than washing it out)

Thanks again!

Comment

You are welcome.

These filters should be interchangeble, even though they are different styles. I'm not sure what my local Home Depot is stocking, but eventually I can see that this new style "Qwik Lock" will probably be the only style that is available. It should just fit nicely on the threaded stud and then I'll simply use the existing plastic nut to fasten it. Should not be a problem.

I'll have to check on the next visit to Home Depot.

Regarding the dog poo... a hosing out in the yard and then maybe a little bleach and water in the bucket for a bit of a soak and it should be okay for future use.

Best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving,

CWS
                        Last edited by CWSmith; 11-23-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X