X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cordless vs corded

Can anyone please provide power/life technical guidance on the capabilities of the cordless circular saw and cordless reciprocating saw vs corded versions? I know cordless have much less power/life than corded, but would love to see quantified specs. i'm not a contractor or pro, and am only going to buy one tool of each. E.g. if the reciprocating saw was really only good for cutting dry wall or can it also do 10 or 20 2x4s as well?

Re: cordless vs corded

Do a google search on "online cordless tool reviews". You will probably not get any quantified specs of corded vs cordless, however you should find very detailed tests comparing the performance of several manufacturers with detailed specs.
    As you have noted the performance of corded is far superior to cordless, however 18V cordless tools have become very usable performers. We are a contractor and our crews will reach for the cordless for many jobs where they don't want to haul out the cords. cordless saws are very usable for 2X work cutting 10-20 2x4s with ease.
    Hope this helps....Ray

Comment

I don't have any quantified specs, but if you are not a contractor than cordless recip saws have more than enough power and life that you need. I have used my cordless recip for cutting the tops off of 4X4 treated fence posts, did 15 of them and the battery still had some juice. I love the freedom cordless allows. I work in commercial construction and sometimes hundreds of feet away from our power source, so to be able to instant power anywhere on site is crucial to being extra productive.

Comment

I got rid of my corded recipro saw but kept a corded circular saw just in case I have a big job. The cordless tools are strong enough to do most jobs around the house unless there is a big job which would require constant charging of batteries. I like the freedom of going cordless. What kind of projects or jobs can you anticipate?

Comment

I think the specs you are looking for are going to difficult to find. I don't recall seeing any direct comparison between corded or cordless... usually the magazine reviews simply compare between types and models of similar power sources.

But I think you would find that "corded" tools would offer the most power and longer life! However, as the previous members have stated, there is nothing like being free of that cord and I think most people (both amateur and pro) would reach for thier "cordless" tools first.

(But that said, if you're facing some major "demolition" work and intend to spend a few hours at it, I think a corded "recip" saw would be the tool of choice!)

Several years ago, I made a bit of "statement" for corded tools; but mostly, that was those of us who may use battery operated tools only on occasion and would be faced with having to recharge before use. Also, battery-operated tools need to be used frequently (especially Ni-Cads), as long-stored, uncharged batteries have a tendency to fail prematurely. Their replacement cost is also prohibitive, and that power cord certainly is attractive when such expenses become necessay. However, Ridgid's Limited Lifetime Service Agreement (with proper registration) has made me a believer... and it has been some time since I have "plugged in".

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Many thanks to all. (Rigid) cordless it is.

Comment

I use both. If you don't use them that often I'd say just plug in.

Comment

I agree. I use a 13 amp Sawzall. The cord has never been an issue, but the power and no worries about battery charge sure is nice. So what if it takes an extra 30 seconds to grab the extension cord and plug in? If you plan to use it where there are no outlets close enough for an extension cord, then a cordless sounds good.

Comment

With the exception of my impact driver and a couple of drill/drivers, all of my power tools have a cord. I've never found corded tools to be any kind of a hassle to use and the unlimited power supply assures me peace of mind when doing a project. I've helped out friends with projects while only having their cordless tools available to use and on more than a few occasions have been frustrated by a dead battery. Besides, a top of the line corded tool can be purchased most of the time for less money than a run of the mill cordless one.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Take a look at these.

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=36015462

36 volt
                    http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=35918050

I own both and can not tell you the power these have.

Comment

Cordless tools offer more advantages than disadvantages. No shock or trip hazzards with cordless but batteries are expensive and they can die at the worst times. Keep a new blade and let the tool do the work.

Comment

If I could only have one drill, it would be battery. But for anything else, it would be corded. Fortunately, no one says we can only have one .

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                          Cordless tools offer more advantages than disadvantages. No shock or trip hazzards with cordless but batteries are expensive and they can die at the worst times. Keep a new blade and let the tool do the work.

Master you are the MAN.......!!!!
                          The most common mistake with all power tools be them cord or not is that the tool is supposed to do the work. As an analogy we dont get in the engine bay and turn the motor of the car. There are several important things that beginners are never told but hopefully learn from forums like this and older memebers with experience. Tool suppliers tell you how much GRUNT the tool has and how quick it will demolish the job. Good hey...!! Get to have a beer quicker. The real story from them is "lean on the tool and bugger it and I will sell you a more expensive brand next time under the guise of this is what the professionals buy". I like the suggestion to buy Hilti because they are top-end kit. However you must look at budget and use including regularity of such. Like one of the others I would if I were in your position buy a corded circular saw and a battery sabre/reciprocating saw. I must state for the record that I am not paid by HILTI but I do believe that HILTI have the best recip saw on the market today. Now I know we all have favorites and I do respect everyone else's opinion here but this is just mine. The batteries are the best I have used and I have many years of experience with Hilti cordless, just ask my reps. I tell them whether their gear is up to scratch without hesitation. Mind you Hilti doesnt have everything as they would like to believe but they most certainly excel in certain areas. With the recip saw it is critical that you work the blade and dont pressur ethe blade. My first was a Milwaukie and it was a good start. Their blades however seemed to get Chinarised and are crap. The toolman wanted me to upgrade to the bigger model, got upset because I told him it would just mean he would sell me ten times as many blades becasue they wear out quicker. BTW a recip is more of a demo saw and is way less precise than a circular saw.

Enough for now.

Hope this helps in some small way

Comment

Working...
                          X