X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ts 2424

I have come across a TS2424 1 table saw that has not been used. I assume it is at least 5 years old. My question is how much did this cost new and what is it worth now. They are asking $400 for it and I feel this is a little high. The stand has the build in Herc-U-LiftCaster Set.

Thanks

Re: Ts 2424

I agree with you Bruce. The TS2424 is at least 10 years old...it was a successor to the first Emerson made Ridgid TS2412 which was introduced around 1997. The TS2424 was a predecessor to the TS3612, which preceeded the TTI/Ryobi made TS3650 that was released around 2004, then was followed by the TS3660, which preceeded the Steel City/Orion made TS4511 granite top saw, which brings us up to date with the current RS4512 made by Dayton introduced this fall.

The TS2424 was made by Emerson in the US, but likely has an older fence design, steel wings, and the older style lift, though it could have grated cast iron wings. It also has an older style design which puts the motor hanging off the back, which takes up more space, can pose a lifting hazard when tilted, and complicates dust collection. It'll also have a traditional splitter vs a new riving knife, and there's no warranty. Unused or not, $400 in today's market is too steep for what you get IMHO. It's a capable enough saw for sure, but $300 tops is more realistic, and $250 better yet. It probably sold in the $550 range new, but I'm not positive. $400 goes a long ways toward a new Ridgid RS4512 with an inboard belt drive motor, and riving knife, or towards a similar Craftsman 21833...on sale both will drop very close to $400 new.

Good luck!
    Last edited by hewood; 12-08-2010, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Agree with Hewood but I wouldn't go any more than $250. Also, I bought my 3650 in Dec. 2003 and they were out for a few months before that. If I were to sell my 3650 today I would ask $375 to 400, and it has solid CI wings, a better fence, as well as other improvements over the 2424 plus I added a router table insert and the custom folding outfeed table which will go with it.

---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

here is the owners manual for the 2424:

http://ridgid.com/ASSETS/B9BE8FCB73B...le_Saw_Man.pdf

the warranty for the 2424 is on the last page of the linked manual and attaches to the tool, regardless of ownership, according to ridgid CS. so the advantage to buying a used gray ridgid vs. the newer TSs is that it has a warranty. the newer ridgid TSs can be registered for the LSA by the original owner only.

as hewood noted, it is a contractor saw, with the motor hanging out of the back of the saw. and the primary differences between the 2424 and the 3612 are the length of the rails (2424 rips 24" whereas the 3612 rips 36") and the 2424 uses two opposing screws on the rear trunnion to adjust the blade parallel to the miter slot where the 3612 uses an eccentric lever.

true, the 2424 is not a state of the art TS. it doesn't have a riving knife and the motor configuration is less than optimal regarding dust collection and space utilization. however, it should have its original CI wings and the splitter, with its anti-kickback pawls, although a little cumbersome relative to a riving knife, is still an effective safety feature. and although the fence is not a t-square fence, once adjusted parallel to the miter slot and tensioned against the rear rail properly, it is rock solid and second to none in terms of accuracy.

i agree that $400 is too much for a used 2424, even in outstanding shape. i recently helped a nephew purchase a used 2424 in great shape for $225. a used 2424, priced right, is a great first TS. and it will last for years. my 2412 was a 2003 purchase from HD and i've kept it when i could have easily moved to a 3650 or a 4511 for amounts as low a $100. set up properly, there is almost nothing the 2424 won't be able to handle.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          .........plus I added a router table insert and the custom folding outfeed table which will go with it.

And a mighty fine Outfeed Table it is too. If you have the room for one, Bob's design is one of the finest I've seen for a Ridgid contractor saw.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks Dave.

It should work as designed on most contractor style saws with bolt-on wings.

I have a design for a sliding table that replaces the left wing floating around in my brain. Been stewing about two years now. Once I work out some alignment stuff I think I'll have something that will also work on most contractor saws. I know that there are manufactured sliding tables out there, but its certainly fun to make your own and for what they ask for them I know I can do just as good for less.

I think I found my answer, or at least the answers to some of the problems that have been holding me up from working on building my own.
            http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Unisa...dingtable.html

Phil has taken a Delta sliding table and modified/improved it to fit his Unisaw. The design I had floating around in my head was similar to the Delta, using the two round rails as the guides. What I hadn't worked out was the alignment of the rail and table, I might find some answers in Phil's writeup. http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Unisa...dingtable.html

Maybe I can find a delta sliding table and mod it to fit the 3650.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 12-08-2010, 04:51 PM. Reason: added link
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
            X