X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade keeps loosening - R4120 Compound Miter

I have a 1 year old Miter Saw (Model # R4120) and for the last 6 months the blade will become loose after 20 or so cuts. It progressively gets looser and the percision of the cuts is terrible. Why would the blade become loose so much? Is my saw faulty?

Help and suggestions are appreciated.

Sean

Re: Blade keeps loosening - R4120 Compound Miter

I don't know that saw, but there is definitely something wrong. I would start off by looking at the stackup on the arbor to make sure all the parts are present and not damaged. There are washers, and possible a sleeve that fits over the arbor. Is the blade correct with the correct hole size? Look at the large washers on one or both sides of the blade. They may either be distorted or there may be some debris lodged in there... or you might have a missing part (some saws have that separate sleeve). You want perfectly clean metal to metal surfaces on everthing mounted on that arbor. Finally check the arbor to make sure it's not bent.

This situation is potentially dangerous. If you don't find a problem, stop using the saw and take it in for service.

Comment

Are you using one of those add-on laser washers in place of the stock washer?

I have heard of them causing this condition.

Also, does this saw have a blade brake, and does it appear to be operating normally? Just wondering if the arbor is stopping faster than the blade and maybe that is art of the problem. I know which way the blade spins and the nut is threaded and all, but how does the blade brake operate? Does it clamp down on some rotating part using friction to stop the blade or does it momentarily reverse the motor to slow it down. I don't know just asking and thinking of possible causes.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I will have to see if it appears to be missing any parts. It does have a laser guide, but it was stock on that model and it is part of the bolt. The blade is also the stock blade that came with the unit. The brake is useless once it is loose.

When you release the trigger the blade slows down quickly when the arbor is tight, once it is loose it spins for a long time because the break can't engage.

Everything seems flush and metal to metal. How much would service typically run, est? I mean a new saw would be 300 bucks, if a repair is just as much why waste the time?

Thanks for the replies!

Sean

Comment

Repair should cost you nothing if you're the original buyer. The initial warranty is 3 years.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If you are running that saw and the blade keeps spinning after you release the trigger because the mounting bolt is loose then you better pull the plug on that thing and stop using it before you get hurt or hurt some bystander. That tool sounds unsafe in its present condition.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

It has been shelved. I am calling the Rigid Certified repair place so that I can have it repaired under warranty.

Thanks you all the help.

Comment

Interesting... and I whole-heartedly agree that this needs to be shelved and not used until it is repaired.

Just a couple of days ago, I pulled the fairly new Ridgid 50-tooth Titanium blade on my Ridgid 10" CMS and the similar blade on my old RAS. The blade on the RAS has seen a lot of service and I'm currently doing a clean-up, alignment check, and maintenance lubrication on the RAS. I thought perhaps I would swap blades between it and the seldom used one on the CMS.

But, after thoroughly cleaning the RAS mounted blade and then examining the CMS blade, I noticed some concerning wear marks on the CMS one. The RAS blade showed only wear on the lower sides, closest to the teeth; which would be in keeping with the thickness of the stock that I've cut.

But, on the CMS there were black marks and some wearing of the TIN coating on the hub... as if the Laser guide and inner washer were causing wear. This shouldn't be happening! The mounting screw was definitely secure and I have noticed no movement/spinning of the blade on the arbor, as if it were freewheeling. The brake mechanism on the CMS appears to be working fine too and I get nice clean cuts and no noticealbe wobble or telltale marks on either side of the cuts. But, these marks on the hub, under the inner washer and outer Laser, make me wonder what's going on.

At this point I have only vowed to watch it carefully, but it does make me wonder.

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 12-10-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I'm having the same issue with my R4120, right out of the box. The blade repeatedly loosens up after only about a dozen cuts or so. A result of this is that the blade will spin freely after releasing the trigger. The saw backs off of its washers and therefore is not engaged with the electric brake.

In case it needs to be said, the saw was assembled properly, tightened properly and used properly.

I am pretty disappointed, as this is already my second R4120 (the first one I bought had sheered off bolts and a missing lower blade guard cover upon first opening the box).

Comment

I called a certified repair for Ridgid. He says that Ridgid says it is a bad laser screw. He has a new one for me, but he hasn't see my saw. He is just going off of what I described.

The saw doesn't make quaility cuts and the 45 degree cuts are terrrible because the blade looses. I have a Mantle to build and have several 45 degree cuts.

I am nervous to even cut my Walnut with the new screw installed. I will have to make a ton of test cuts to see if the new screw is working or not.

:-(

Comment

If you are that unsure of the saw then maybe you should consider taking it back and getting something else. either another model RIDGID or another brand. So far the blade has only loosened up. What happens when it comes off altogether and starts chewing on the blade guard!!

And like you said, at that point your expensive piece of walnut is ruined, who's going to pay for that??

Up until recently HD had a very nice Milwaukee SCMS on display, about 3 months ago it disappeared. I remember thinking that if I was in the market for a new SCMS I would have to give this one serious thought. But my DeWalt DW708 is working w/o a problem so I am stuck with it for a few more years I guess.

But that new Bosch saw that I posted about recently I think is the ticket. No clearance needed behind the saw, that's a big plus, and the new designed articulated arm in place of the rails I think will be just as good or better than the current design saws no matter who makes them.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

SMahoney6,

Makes me wonder why there isn't some notice being sent to current owners, especially in consideration that there's Ridgid service may be aware and have a replacement arbor screw.

As I mentioned earlier, I have what I think is the earliest model of the 10" CMS and though I haven't had any loosening at all, there is some taletell marking that makes me wonder. But, in consideration of a few reports about the blade loosening, I am wondering what's really up with this. Certainly it's a dangerous situation and no saw, of any type, should ever be used or even "spun-up" if the blade is not absolutely secure!

I think I'd get it back to the store or the service center just as fast as you can!

CWS

Comment

Repair shop gave me a screw that was maybe half the length. It didn't fix the problem at all. Actually made it losen quicker. The lack or carring that my saw isn't function from the manufacter and the service shop don't make me feel good. The service shop guy didn't even want to look at the saw, he just said this is it and it will fix it. Well it didn't so the Miter Saw is shelved for good (HD gave me credit) and my New DeWalt cuts so nice and clean. It has been 100% better then the Ridgid.
                          Last edited by smahoney6; 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X