X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Base Advice

I need to buy a new router and see that there are several packaged with multiple bases. All have a fixed base, then the choice is between a plunge base and a base for a router table mount. I've done some basic work with a router, but I am still learning. I'm looking for advice on which base (plunge or table mount) to go with.

Thanks.

Re: Router Base Advice

I bought a PC-690 variable speed a few years back. this kit came with a plunge base and a standard fixed base. I put the fixed base in my router table and leave it there use the plunge base for everything else I use the 690 for. But then I also have a Milwaukee that I use with its standard base but usually leave it set up with an offset base.

If you have questions about routers a visit to Pat Warner's website and a cup of coffee are a good pair.

You might want to start with his Selecting A Router page.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Also consider a set that has a D-handle base. It's more of a personal preference thing but I like my D-handle so much for hand held usage that I sold my fixed base.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I agree with Dave that a D-handle base is a big plus .
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ditto!

I have the 2-base Ridgid and I use the fixed base mounted in my Rockler table top, and the plunge for out of table use. I also have an older Ryobi 3-base set, and the D-Handle base is excellent for some kinds of projects where that extra grip lends itself better stability.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Gentlemen, thanks for the info. I hadn't considered the D-handle base as an option. I went to HD/Lowes/Sears Hardware to see what's available and do some hands on. What I really need is to do some actual routing, but the stores seem to frown on that. I liked the Bosch 1617 series, the fit/feel of the handles and the micro adjust seemd to be easier than the P-C. I haven't seen a D-handle option from Bosch, but haven't really looked. Also the price (around $200) is within budget.

Bob D. - I'll check out those links. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X