Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R82235 Job Max reviews

Hi Fellas, long time no posting..

I'm looking at buying the 12v JobMax Multi-tool. The reviews on HomeDepot.com have not been kind in terms of the quality of the tool and attachments.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...3#BVRRWidgetID

That is kinda unusual to me. I might have complaints on some Ridgid tools *ahem* crapsman knock off tablesaw *ahem* but generally I'm impressed with Ridgid's innovation and quality.

So I ask you the following.

1. Do you own this tool?
    2. Have you had any problems with this tool?
    3. Have you had any problems with the attachments?
    4. Does the battery hold a charge well?
    5. Do you like it and why?

Thanks for your responses in advance...

Re: Ridgid R82235 Job Max reviews

1. yes
    2. no
    3. no
    4. yes
    5. great for cutting electric boxes in plaster and wood lathe walls. also good for making close cuts in wood and other materials where a saw, circular or recip, won't get you close enough to complete the cut. i'll be trying it on tile soon and i'm optimistic it won't have a problem. the RA drill head and the RA impact head would be quite useful.....since i have a 12v RA impact driver, that's one head i won't need, but when i can get the RA drill head at a good price, i'll try to add that to my tool complement. HTH
    Last edited by FINER9998; 12-25-2010, 02:12 PM.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Same here as Finer. I have all the attachments except ratchet head

Close cuts in wood flooring using the multi-tool was the big seller for me. The grout removal blade almost works too good. Quick clean cuts in drywall and plaster without disurbing anything else.

I'm not very coordinated swinging a hammer so for me, the angle hammerhead attachment rocks!

The angle drill speed seems a little slow but haven't needed that too many times.

As for battery life, it's hit or miss with me. Some of my lithium batteries work great and some just die quickly.

Comment

Merry Christmas Sgt Beavis, good to see you back.

I agree with the two previous replies. I purchased my JobMax back in September and it has performed flawlessly. Charges quickly and the 12-Volt Li-Ion batteries seem to go on endlessly.

It cut's very precisely, is especially nice for cutting holes in plaster and lath for those electical boxes (as Finer9998 has described). In addition to that, I've used mine to trim away the top window molding when I was fitting the bookcase in the new library. I was surprised at how quickly it cut through that and especially how easly and precisely it was to control, being able to shave even slight amounts off the trim. (The oscillation is enough to cut quickly, but the minimal vibration allows for precise control.)

When I first got this tool, I sort of wrestled with removing the "head" from the power handle, as it requires pushing in the two "tabs" while pulling at the same time. MY first impression was that it required three hands. It certainly installed easily! But, after the first couple of times, I figured it out and have no further problems with it.

As yet I haven't purchased additional accessories, but I do like this tool.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 12-25-2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

We were just talking about the JobMax last month. It has received favorable reviews in almost every test by the various woodworking magazines and also Popular Mechanics. I have read very little if anything until this thread about bad performance.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Considering the comments here and the lifetime warranty, I decided it was worth the risk. I bought the r92236 Combo kit. I'm looking forward to putting it to work.

Comment

So far so good. I'm refinishing a set of drawers that my wife found at a thrift store. I knew that this tool would be perfect for sanding off the rest of the paint that the previous owner moronically painted over the maple.

The sandpaper that comes with it doesn't last very long but that definitely isn't a biggie. Does anyone have suggestions for better quality sandpaper?

One thing I noticed was that the trigger switch becomes intermittent when the battery starts getting low. So if you find yourself pulling the trigger with nothing happening, try changing the battery first. The power drop off on these batteries is VERY sudden.

So far so good. I will probably give this a full review over on Lumberjocks and woodnet.

Comment

I purchased the jobmax multi/drill combo set just before Xmas. I used the sheetrock blade to cut about 3 feet (worked great), also used the metal/wood blade to cut a dozen or so nails (worked OK but the blade dulled quickly). I bought the impact head and used it to drive about a dozen screws into 2x4 (actually worked better than expected). Then the LED light stopped working and the tool would work only intermittently. I thought it might be the battery but did the same thing with a fully charged battery plus the drill worked fine. The good news is that I went to HD store and they quickly replaced it and also reminded me to be sure and register for the free lifetime service agreement. Hopefully, this one will last because I liked it when it worked and now have more invested since I bought the impact head.
                BTW, if anyone has the mico 12v impact driver (R82238) and doesn't want it, I'd be interested.

Comment

I ended up buying 1 full kit and the basic kit with the cutter and sander attachment, I use them on jobsites for cutting drywall for electrical boxes
                  drilling holes in tight area's were my drill cant go, the impact head is real nice for driving screws in tight areas. The tool appears to be real tough as
                  I've dropped it off the ladder a few times, still holding up after 6 months using it almost every day.

Would I buy this tool again, YES

Cheers
                  Glen

Comment

Glen,

Thanks for the review and welcome to the Ridgid forum!

Lot's of great members here and it's a good place to share experience and discussions.

Welcome ,

CWS

Comment

I have purchased a Job Max just after Christmas and had to return it 2 weeks later because it would only work if I twisted on the battery. If I let go it would stop. Home Depot replaced it with another that is now in the shop for the same problem. They said they do not yet know what the problem is and also have 3 others to be repaired. I love the tool, but it would be nice to find out the problem so it can be fixed and I can use it again. Does anyone here know what this problem could be?

Comment

I too am having issues with the intermittent trigger. I think it may be the connection from the battery to the tool wearing out due to vibration of the tool. I love this system and would buy it again but not use it for long periods of time as I think from using it continuously it over heats the battery and I am sure that is why I have killed almost all of my 12v batteries. I can't wait for the AC powered unit that is set to be released this spring that uses the different heads

Comment

That is to bad if they are using a different heads. Would be nice to use them on the cordless. I think you are right about the vibration with it. But I dont think the battery is the issue. at least it isnt with the 2 I have trouble with. The shop that I took mine to still does not know what the problem is and still trying to find out. They now have 4 units with the same problem one being mine and no answers. I need this tool for the month long job I am on right now. Try and twist your handle at the battery and see if it will work till you let go. That says to me that there is a bad connection somewhere not a bad battery or switch etc. Hope to find a solution soon as I really do like this tool.

Comment

Sorry, I worded that wrong, all the jobmax heads will fit the new AC unit.

Comment

I had this tool and used the oscilating blade and it worked great until it became dull. I bought the impact hammer head and it did not have torque it should. I returned it and bought the ratchet head unit and it does not have the torque claimed. It must be a problem with the hand unit, I had a full charge on the battery and I can stop the ratchet with my fingers. I thought it would have more power than that. Does anyone have a solution or do I need to return it for repair?

Comment

Working...
                              X