I'm getting a jointer tomorrow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting a jointer tomorrow

So, for several weeks I've been eying a Ridgid band saw at the local store. It was marked with a yellow clearance sticker for $369. I know that is the regular price so I figured I'd wait. The wife and I went today to get it with Xmas gift cards and it was gone. I asked a sales clerk and was told it was sold. We walked around and found several large items shrink wrapped up on the top shelves. I wrote down some Sku numbers and had them check them. One was a band saw ($369) and one was a jointer ($288). When I asked to speak to a manager, the clerk asked why. I told her so I could see about getting some more money off. She went into the office to speak with the manager and upon her return, I was told " All we can do is give $25 off of each" When I asked why so little, she replied "Because it's Sunday and we have to be careful". My guess is only weekday managers can make big discounts. Anyway,I'm returning tomorrow and getting the jointer. I need it more than a band saw.

Re: I'm getting a jointer tomorrow

I think that you will be pleased on two points. The first is that the Ridgid Jointer is a very well made jointer that will perform as well as any jointer in its price class and even some more expensive ones. The second point being that you didn't buy the Ridgid Bandsaw. Don't take my word on that though, just do a Search on this board and see what others have to say about it.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Honestly, I really wanted a jointer. I saw one about 8 months ago at the store, haven't seen it since. So, I was going to settle on a band saw. I spent about 2 hrs Saturday night researching this forum about the band saw. I figured if I could get it cheap enough, I could spend some time to tune it and be somewhat happy. Now, I know I will like the jointer, again after reading this forum. Thanks to all of those who posted about these 2 machines.

Comment

I own the Ridgid bandsaw. Don't buy it you can buy better ones at around the same price.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I got it!!! Talked 'em down to $230. Best I could do. I'm excited.

Comment

Congrats on the jointer purchase! I own the bandsaw and all I did to fix the vibration problem was install a link belt (and the vibration really wasn't that bad to begin with). It works perfect now. I've used some larger General's and aside from re-sawing 6" maple, this one runs very similarly.

Its a finicky machine to set up (especially lining up the motor on the rubber grommets and keeping the pulleys' in line and the motor square) I think half the problems guys are having relate to proper set up. That being said, I agree that it is definitely one of the weaker Ridgid products out there. I have the TS3650 and the DP1550 and they are absolutely amazing and performed that way right out of the box.

Comment

Having to decide between the 2 was easy. I have a project in the works that I can definitely use the jointer for and it was over $100 cheaper. I assembled it yesterday and it works great. I will be making a mobile base for it based on the posts here on this forum, just need time.

Comment

Working...
              X