X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand new JP 610 Jointer "snipe"???

Hi, I am the proud new owner of a Ridgid JP 610 Jointer that I got on sale and have filled out the paperwork to get the lifetime service agreement with HD and Ridgid.
    I have noticed that I don't get any "snipe" when I face plane, but when I joint the edges of a board, there are little ripples that appear all the way down the board. This occurs no matter where the fence is located perpendicular to the blades.
    I am thinking this is a blade height issue, but this is how it came right out of the box. I tried to check with a piece of wood to see if the blades are Any suggestions? It is annoying to joint something with this jointer and then have to sand it all anyway.
    Ken

Re: brand new JP 610 Jointer "snipe"???

It's been my experience that this is a result of too deep of a cut and too fast of a feed rate. Try a shallower cut and a slower feed rate. Also, apply steady pressure "downward" as you move the wood along.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols_ks View Post
      Hi, I am the proud new owner of a Ridgid JP 610 Jointer that I got on sale and have filled out the paperwork to get the lifetime service agreement with HD and Ridgid.
      I have noticed that I don't get any "snipe" when I face plane, but when I joint the edges of a board, there are little ripples that appear all the way down the board. This occurs no matter where the fence is located perpendicular to the blades.
      I am thinking this is a blade height issue, but this is how it came right out of the box. I tried to check with a piece of wood to see if the blades are Any suggestions? It is annoying to joint something with this jointer and then have to sand it all anyway.
      Ken

first of all, the lsa has nothing to do with HD. it is strictly a program offerred by ridgid. second, it's usually unwise to assume that a new tool is set up or "tuned up" for propper use right out of the box. here is an article with a video that covers the basics of jointer set up. the video seems to cover the ripples you mention:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/usejntr.html

HTH. BTW, museum guy seems to have nailed the problem and the solution. good luck with your new jointer.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. I have seen that website video before; it is good. I went even slower with the chestnut oak, but still have ripples on the 3/4" edges. I use the same technique on my friend's Jet with no ripples on the same chestnut oak. And I have no ripples on the face which would be causing the cutter head to be doing even more work. Also, I am cutting anywhere from 1/32 to 1/16, no deeper. It might be worth a try to go 1/8???
        That is why I tried to check out the cutter height. I don't have that measurement tool to make sure. I was just using a straight edge.

Comment

Put a layer of masking tape on your straight edge and check the blade height relative to the outfeed table. The tape will protect the knives from hitting the metal straight edge. Rotate the cutter and each knife should make a slight tic sound as it brushes by the taped straight edge. Check all three front and back. If straight edge moves - the blades are too high (or table too low if all the knives are the same), if there is no noise then the blades are not high enough (or table too high if all the knives are the same)

Comment

Working...
          X