questions about plunge base in Ridgid router combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about plunge base in Ridgid router combo

I got the Ridgid router combo for Christmas. So far it is a great router, but I have a question about the plunge base. I have never used a plunge base before, so I don't know if this is normal or not. The plunge base plunges smooth when you use both hands and the bottom of the base is completely supported by a work piece. But if I have a bit with a bearing on it and want to set the plunge for a certain depth of cut and try to plunge on the edge of a workpiece, it is very hard to plunge. It seems like any slight pressure that is not totally downward causes it to stick. Is the just the way plunge bases are? Should the plunge only be smooth if the base is completely supported by a work piece? If I have slightly less pressure on one hand on a bit more on the other it sticks too. I have lubed everything that can be lubed. Any ideas? I don't want to return the router if I just don't know what I am doing.

Re: questions about plunge base in Ridgid router combo

I also noticed the same thing and I viewed a lot of reviews. Many have said that there is a sticking problem with the plunge base. I have tried greasing, loosening the locking pin a little extra, bored the plunge tower caps a little extra, removed the spring sheaths and even romoved the plastic guide pins. None of this seemed to make any difference. I have tested other plunge routers and the action was much smoother, so it's definitely the tool itself. As a fixed base router, it's fantastic. If you can afford to, I suggest keeping it and buying a dedicated plunge router for those applications.

Comment

Working...
    X