Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Knives on 6" Jointer

Hello All,

I own the Ridgid 6" jointer. The model number is JP06101. I bought and I have received brand new knives. I am getting ready to install the knives so I have been doing a lot of reading and watching various videos. My only remaining question is, how high do I set the outfeed table so that I can set the knives in relation to the table? I have had the same knives for a while - at least 3 years. Over time, I have adjusted the outfeed table to compensate for the knives as they have worn over time. If anything I am betting that the outfeed table is set too low. Is there some magic distance between top dead center and the correct outfeed table height? I looked in the manual and I don't see anything. I watched a video that said that the distance between top dead center should be 15 thousdands between top dead center and the correct outfeed table height.

Thanks, Bill

Re: Replacing Knives on 6" Jointer

With a new set of knives, install them "all the way in" and set the table to the knives. (Use a straight edge on the out feed table and adjust to the point where the knives just barely touch.

Comment

You can find some drawings describing the steps PK mentioned on pages 29 and 30 of your Owners Manual.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Many thanks... makes sense. I did read the owner's manual but I did not see anything specifically that described how to install new knives.

Comment

I am curious--How many times did you have the original knives sharpened? Three years seems like an awful short life span for joiner knives.

Comment

Originally posted by bpatters69 View Post
            Hello All,

I own the Ridgid 6" jointer. The model number is JP06101. I bought and I have received brand new knives. I am getting ready to install the knives so I have been doing a lot of reading and watching various videos. My only remaining question is, how high do I set the outfeed table so that I can set the knives in relation to the table? I have had the same knives for a while - at least 3 years. Over time, I have adjusted the outfeed table to compensate for the knives as they have worn over time. If anything I am betting that the outfeed table is set too low. Is there some magic distance between top dead center and the correct outfeed table height? I looked in the manual and I don't see anything. I watched a video that said that the distance between top dead center should be 15 thousdands between top dead center and the correct outfeed table height.

Thanks, Bill
            Hi, Bill,

Instead of adjusting the table to compensate for blade wear, you should have been adjusting the blade-height screws on the blade-cylinder itself.

In any case, the table should be the same height as the blade, all the way across, and the manual shows how to handle that. It is possible to build a gauge for measuring this more effectively than using a straightedge ruler.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

this video covers a simple jig for correctly setting blade height.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolG...e.aspx?id=5294
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                this video covers a simple jig for correctly setting blade height.
                Thanks Finer, that's a great, affordable way to set the blades. Pat

Comment

Working...
                X