R4512 Read Rail hole problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 Read Rail hole problem

I just picked up a R4512 table saw. Everything was going good with assembly until I started putting the rails together. The longer section of rear rail has a larger hole where you insert the bolt and then the smaller hole where the bolt attaches to the saw. The problem is that the larger and smaller hole do not match up like on the shorter section. They are about 3/4" off. This makes is very difficult to get the bolts into the smaller hole and nearly impossible to tighten it securely. Also, because of this it doesnt align correctly to be attached to the saw either.

Has anybody else come across this?
    Last edited by RYamry; 01-01-2011, 06:28 PM.

Re: R4512 Read Rail hole problem - Pics added

Here is some pics of what Im talking about:

This is a pic of the smaller left rail taken straight on. You can see that the larger outer hole is aligned correctly with the smaller inner hole.

This is a pic of the longer right rail taken straight on. You can see that the the larger hole does NOT align with the smaller inner hole, making it very difficult to put the bolt in and impossible to tighten.

This is the longer right rail taken at an angle so you can see where the smaller holes are. The smaller inner holes are all about 3/4" to the right of the larger outer holes.

This is a huge bummer as I cant install the rail now!

Comment

Re: R4512 Read Rail hole problem

Sorry that no one has posted a reply to this yet.

I don't own this saw or have any familiarity with it beyond a close look at the display model. However, if I was in your predicament I think I'd simply take the mis-drilled (as it appears to you and me) rails back to the store where you purchased it and see if they will swap with another saw that they have in stock. Talk to the store manager if necessary!

That works far better than having to pack the whole thing up and taking it back. (You have 90-days from date of purchase to return this tool... I'm sure neither you or Home Depot want to go through that.)

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Let us know how you make out,

CWS

Comment

I didn't get a chance to reply back earlier today but I did just what you said. I took the rail to HD to get it replaced. They quickly suggested to swap out that single part.....though they didn't have any more in stock. They found another one at a different store and had them check the part to make that one was no defective as well. It wasn't so I went and picked it up. The whole deal was handled very well without and problems or anything. And now I have the saw all put together!! It's working great!!!

Comment

Great!

I'm very happy that this problem was quickly resolved with Home Depot's help. There have been posts in the past with other tools and a return of the defective part and an exchange has most always been the resolution with little or no challenge from HD. So, I'm very happy that it worked out for you too.

BTW, Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

Work safely, enjoy the new saw and best wishes for a grest New Year!

CWS

Comment

RYamry,

I just got the R4512 myself. Fortunately, I didn't run into any problems with pieces not fitting together. I am trying out how to use dado blades with the saw. The manual says that you can use up to an 8" dado blade but when I installed the blades on my saw, the orange release button wouldn't close. I'm guessing I'll need to go with a 6" set. I'm just curious if I was doing something incorrectly. I posted this issue on another topic in this forum but no one has responded (that actually has the saw). Just curious what your experience is with the saw (assuming you've attempted to use dado blades). Thanks!

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by jaythevikesfan View Post
              RYamry,

I just got the R4512 myself. Fortunately, I didn't run into any problems with pieces not fitting together. I am trying out how to use dado blades with the saw. The manual says that you can use up to an 8" dado blade but when I installed the blades on my saw, the orange release button wouldn't close. I'm guessing I'll need to go with a 6" set. I'm just curious if I was doing something incorrectly. I posted this issue on another topic in this forum but no one has responded (that actually has the saw). Just curious what your experience is with the saw (assuming you've attempted to use dado blades). Thanks!

Jay
              Can you post a picure? I don't own that saw but don't understand how a 10" blade will clear and an 8" dado will not.
              SSG, U.S. Army
              Retired
              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                Can you post a picure? I don't own that saw but don't understand how a 10" blade will clear and an 8" dado will not.
                The orange lever in the pic is halfway down (rotates counter-clockwise) and is into the 8" dado blade at that point.

Mike
                Attached Files

Comment

jaythevikesfan:

"You would leave the lever in the up position when you use a dado on the saw. You can not go higher than 1.5" when using the dado or the lever will hit the throat plate. "

That's the reply I received from Customer Support when I quizzed them on this. However, the height restriction isn't the problem. The vibrating lever is. My plan is to cut off and re-weld the lever 90 degrees to the right of where it is now. That will leave it pointing away from the dado blades or vertical with no chance of it vibrating back into the blades.

Mike

Comment

Whoa, looking at it now, if I move the lever so that it is upright when locked, it will hit the plate and restrict the height of the regular blades. Got to rethink.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X