Customer Support email responses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Support email responses

Hello all, New to this site but have a question.

I have a Ridgid cordless drill MODEL NUMBER: R84001 that the batteries will not hold the charge anymore. It was my understanding that I had a lifetime warranty on this unit.

I was told by the sales associate at Home Depot to return the registration card to Ridgid in order to qualify for the lifetime warranty.I had done this within 3 days of purchasing the drill. This was Dec 3, 2005.

Fast forward to this week. I contact the authorized service center in Winnipeg, and he tells me that I need to contact Ridgid to get an authorization number in order for him to replace the batteries. So I contact the Customer support line in order to get the information, and it is at this point where the fun begins.

When I give him my address, and other information he tells me that the product is not registered. When I tell him that I submitted the paperwork, and I am holding a copy of such paperwork in my hand, he tells me that that is not the correct registration paperwork. I tell him that this is the paperwork that came with the drill and the paperwork that the sales associate told me to fill out to be covered, and he tells me....NO. Apparently there was another phantom display somewhere in the tool department at the store that neither the sales associate or myself were privileged to see.

He then as much proceeded to say to me :it sucks to be you...is there anything else I can help you with"? Well not exact words but those were the implications.

So I thought I would compose an email to the customer support team that is on this site. Well I submitted 1 email on Jan 3, and 1 on Jan 4.

I was wondering if they reply to those messages, and if so, how long does it usually take?

The drill has worked wonderful for me, and has seen a lot of use, but if this is the type of support I will receive, given the fact that I did what I was told, I may have to go with a different brand. I know the sales associate does not work for Ridgid, but apparently Ridgid did not make the requirements for the Lifetime warranty coverage very clear for many people.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Customer Support email responses

Unfortunately your first mistake was taking that HD's employee at his word and his instructions to you were incorrect. Sending in the card that comes with the tool does register that tool into the Lifetime Service Agreement. The LSA Program is above and beyond the tools standard 3 Year Warranty, not lifetime BTW, and you must register the tool into the program within 90 days of purchase. Sending in the card that came with the tool actually does little but give their Marketing Dept. information about your buying habits. I wish there was better news for you but at my HD there were and still are quite a few of those "phantom displays" in the tool area dealing with the LSA when I bought my RIDGID tools which was about the same time as you bought yours.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

not that it's going to make you feel any better, but when the registration is followed up with ridgid and the owner makes sure the tool is properly registered, i can personally report that the LSA program does work. unfortunately, it takes 6-9 mos. for ridgid to update tool status from 3 yrs to LSA, and, based on other postings, they routinely lose, misplace or never receive the appropriate documentation for LSA registration.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

FishingAmigo,

I'm sorry for the situation, if you were mis-informed. A lot of that seems to happen and it never goes down easily. Unfortunately without some proof, you're out of luck with the LLSA.

One of the very unfortunate things with Ridgid's "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" is that it seems that there are simply too many customers who either mis-interpret it (either on their own or with influence from others) as being a "WARRANTY" or, perhaps more importantly, that it is automatic.

Personally, I do NOT understand that mis-interpretation. Perhaps it simply falls into the catagory of being "unimportant" or "disinteresting". Perhaps it's simply being one of those "man-things", that are often the point of jokes... like not wanting to stop for directions, or never reading instruction manuals.

The problem of course, is letters of grievance like this, in which someone feels that they have been wronged; and because of that, they're never going to buy another "Ridgid"-brand tool.

You can search through this forum and you'll find a "history" of this sort of thing. So much so, that one can easily presume that Ridgid is really screwing us over and that the "LLSA" system is purposely designed to do exactly that. Unfortunately, there are a number of members who feel the way, either because they've had that "not registered" experience, or know a good friend who has.

In all fairness to Ridgid, there certainly appears to be some level of "problems" with the registration and/or communications system. For one, information on the LLSA and it's requirements isn't presented in a real "IN YOUR FACE" fashion and maybe that's necessary. But hey... when you're offering something for free... IS IT REALLY NECESSARY TO WRESTLE A PERSON TO THE GROUND IN ORDER TO HAVE THEM TAKE IT?

l don't consider myself to be an overly intelligent person and certainly I don't have a college degree as proof of my higher learning or my amazing comprehension abilities. But I have purchased many "Ridgid" branded tools since 2003, registered every one of them, and have yet to have a single tool that has NOT been assigned LLSA status. So, it isn't that difficult or challenging.

With every tool, I received a card like this:

https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=623406

It contains an explanation of the LLSA and the steps that need to be taken. I don't send in the card, but do follow the instructions for online registration and for sending in the necessary copy of the receipt and the original UPC. Likewise, in letter form, I include all the contact information and the details required of the tool, like the model, serial number, etc. And, because the LLSA is so important to me, I follow-up within the recommended time period and verify that Ridgid Customer Service has in fact done their part.

For me, this falls in the same category as automobile insurance, life insurance, and any other contract in which one depends on the promised service or payout.

Finally, one has to ask, is there any case, ever, in which any of us can totally trust that everything just went through perfectly? And likewise, would any of us, regardless of our jobs, take somebody's word, with no proof that they did thier part to meet the requirments; and now, years later, want us to provide free service?

Respectfully,

CWS
        Attached Files
        Last edited by CWSmith; 01-07-2011, 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo's

Comment

Thank you all for your information.

Don't get me wrong, I am partially to blame as well. I should have followed up, but I didn't, and I guess that I should not have taken the word of the HD rep with regards to a Branded product that they do not own. At the time, I did not have good internet access, but in hind sight I guess I should have called Ridgid to confirm my registration. I guess life just gets busy sometime, and we have brain farts, and this is the outcome.

I do not assign all the blame to Ridgid, but it would have been nice if the customer support person I called was more personable or supportive, but I guess he is not there to make friends.

I do like the product, but if I am going to have to pay $70 dollars to replace a battery for a 5 year old drill, I might as well look at a new one for $150 with 2 batteries. The brand will be the question, I guess.

Comment

I think it's all BS and you were not treated right.

And I'm 100% serious that if they cannot turn around a battery or part for ANY of these tools in less than 10 days then they should never offer a lifetime agreement.

Just a sales tool that sometimes works for some customers that are willing to wait and go through a bunch of stuff.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-07-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Fishingamigo,

You should know that you are by no means alone in your problem. It happens all too often and I wish there was an effort to correct this kind of thing. One thing that you should know (especially if you decide to go out a buy another battery), is that batteries that are sold separately are NOT eligible for registration into the LLSA!!!

I don't understand why that is so, but it is! Only batteries that come with the original tool purchase are covered; and that makes absolutely no sense to me.

However, to my knowledge, "Ridgid" is the only brand out there that offers anything like the LLSA and it's free battery and charger replacement. For that single reason, it is the only brand of cordless tools that I will consider.

You should also know, that the "Ridgid" brand of power tools is made by Techtronics International, which uses the "Ridgid" brand name under a licensing agreement with Emerson Electric who owns the "Ridgid" brand. Emerson makes the shop vacs, and plumbing and electrical hand tools. Techtronics International (TTI) is a Hong Kong based company with manufacturing in China, Taiwan, and elsewhere (here in the U.S. too). TTI owns One World Technologies, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Dirt Devil, and several other brand names. It is TTI that offers and covers the LLSA, not Emerson Electric or Home Depot.

In any case, I'm sorry that you've been caught in this mess, like so many others. Not sure actually who can be blamed, and I think there's a bit of fault with both the manufacturer's support as well as with the customer. I also think a major cause lies with Home Depot too, as that is the source for an awful lot of the misinformation.

CWS

Comment

You should know that you are by no means alone in your problem. It happens all too often

This one fact alone shows that they (RIDGID/TTI) need to address the way the LLSA is presented to consumers during the purchasing process.
                • If that requires educating HD employees then that's what it takes.
                • If it means doing away with the dual registration process then that's what it takes.
                • If it means increasing the staff who process the LLSA applications then that's what it takes.
                Of course from TTI's perspective the fewer people who avail themselves of the LLSA the better for them because it is fewer tools they have to back up with the LLSA.

How the consumer misses out on fully registering their tools for the LLSA is of no concern to them. They just look at is as for every tool sold with the expectation that the LLSA would be in force (by the consumer) and it actually is not because of a mix up in registration (consumer error, lost paperwork by TTI or USPS, etc), that they have made a sale with no future commitments on their (TTI's) part to support the promises of the LLSA.

If I am wrong then why is it so difficult or confusing to register the tools for the LLSA? Having to register twice is what confuses people I would think. They pick up the registration card that looks like the card that came with every other device they have bought for the past 20 years and send it in, thinking they have done their part and all is well. However, due to a little marketing slight-of-hand, they have not jumped through all the hoops required to obtain LLSA status for their tool.

Their loss and TTI's short term gain, because when this person goes to make a claim under the LLSA that they thought was in force for their tool and they find out it is not, they are not going buy tools with the RIDGID name on them again. The problem for RIDGID is TTI is invisible in this game, because RIDGID has sold the use of its good name and allowed it to be placed on tools made by TTI. The only one who gets a black eye and suffers future sales here is RIDGID. TTI has a couple other well known brand names to hide behind so they will not feel the pain.

For every one person who comes on this forum and tells a story similar to this, there are probably a hundred or more out there who don't. The magnitude of the problem is bigger than the dozen or so a month we see here on the forum. We all know what the best form of advertising is right...word of mouth. So for every one of those people who feels screwed, be it by their own hand or with some help from RIDGID/TTI, they will tell at least 10 other people and that is now 10 more who will think twice before they buy tools with the RIDGID brand.

Doesn't matter to them who made the tool, the only name visible to them is RIDGID.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 01-08-2011, 04:05 AM. Reason: fixed some typos
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

i agree with your thoughts but also remember for every one person that comes on this forum to complain about a problem, there are 100,000 people that had no problems or any issues. People are 100 times more likely to talk about their bad experiences than their good ones!

Comment

I totally agree with you Bob. What amazes me the most is that for the last 7 or so years Emerson/Ridge Tool has put up with TTI totally trashing the Ridgid trademark. I wonder why that is? The vast majority of complaints concerning Ridgid tools and the LLSA voiced here are about tools that are made and sold by TTI and not the tools produced and sold by Ridge Tool. I'm beginning to wonder if when that licensing agreement between Emerson/Ridge Tool and TTI was written up if TTI didn't have the smarter lawyers.
                    ================================================== ====
                    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I suspect that the lifetme warranty is working for them exactly as planned and they have no intention of getting it anymore in your face than it is. There is a carefully calculated percentage of users that they would actaully want to register their tools for the warranty. They could not possibly come out ahead if everyone registered and held them to the warranty.

This is no different than mail-in rebates from just about any company. The rebate is a marketing tool and the company is planning on a certain percentage of customers actually fulfilling the mail-in requirements. You can promote a very significant rebate amount if you know only a small percentage will actually take you up on it.

Comment

And the saga continues....lol.

I had originally sent an email request through the dashboard on Jan 3, and another on the 4th. Well I finally got the replies. I guess that would be approx 7 working days, and 9 days total.

Anyways the reply was as follows "There would have been a warranty card in the box and extras available at Home Depot stores. You would have had to mail that with a copy of the receipt to obtain the lifetime warranty. If not, the tools have only a 3 yr warranty. I do not show that you have an account listed. "

So here we go again with inconsistent information. When I spoke to the customer support person on the phone, he stated that the card would not have been in the case, but there would be a separate display with the agreement.Now this guy states that it would have been in the case! Well I have all of my paperwork that came with the drill (other than the original Registration card, which was mailed in, but I have the photocopy), and the case, and the registration card that is/was in the case was not the document for the service agreementaccording to the customer support person I spoke too.

Is anyone else as confused as me????

I give up!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

every single ridgid power tool i have ever purchased that is in the "orange" family of tools has had an LSA registration card in the box. i never use them, choosing to register online and provide the required follow up documemtation. every single one of my "orange" ridgid power tools has been successfully registered for the LSA.

maybe i'm just getting cranky with users not following the procedures and then complaining that the tools and the company stink.
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                            every single ridgid power tool i have ever purchased that is in the "orange" family of tools has had an LSA registration card in the box. i never use them, choosing to register online and provide the required follow up documemtation. every single one of my "orange" ridgid power tools has been successfully registered for the LSA.

maybe i'm just getting cranky with users not following the procedures and then complaining that the tools and the company stink.
                            i agree, all my 50 tools the same. Its not rocket science, easiest way is to create account online, register tool, send receipt copy with original upc, xerox copy all of above!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              I think it's all BS and you were not treated right.

And I'm 100% serious that if they cannot turn around a battery or part for ANY of these tools in less than 10 days then they should never offer a lifetime agreement.

Just a sales tool that sometimes works for some customers that are willing to wait and go through a bunch of stuff.

J.C.
                              I dont believe its called the ten day service agreement!

Comment

Working...
                              X