Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old charger compatible w new Li Ion bats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old charger compatible w new Li Ion bats?

Hi all,

I'm considering buying an older model 18v cordless circsaw kit off of Craigslist, to supplement my new R963 outfit. I don't really need another saw, but I suppose it'd be nice to have a dedicated plywood rig handy. The real attraction is the double charger, and hopefully the pair of NiCad batteries.

Charger: Rapidmax Twin, G0427, 140276002. I believe this means it was built sometime in July 2004, before Li batteries appeared...correct?

Batteries are also G0427. The seller claimed they hold a good charge, but I get the impression he's not been using them as often lately.

More questions:
    1. For $80, is this a fair deal?
    2. How likely are the bats to be duds?
    3. What other questions should I consider asking the seller, ie: how were the bats stored (temp, charged frequently, etc), or how often has the tool been used (construction vs home use)?
    4. MOST IMPORTANTLY: will the charger work with my new 18v LiIon batteries?
    5. Should I instead be talking to Ridgid cust service, rather than hoping for a quick response from this forum?

Thanks in advance, hopefully I'll get some advice before I miss this boat!

Re: Old charger compatible w new Li Ion bats?

Originally posted by chamaeleo View Post
    Hi all,

I'm considering buying an older model 18v cordless circsaw kit off of Craigslist, to supplement my new R963 outfit. I don't really need another saw, but I suppose it'd be nice to have a dedicated plywood rig handy. The real attraction is the double charger, and hopefully the pair of NiCad batteries.

Charger: Rapidmax Twin, G0427, 140276002. I believe this means it was built sometime in July 2004, before Li batteries appeared...correct?

Batteries are also G0427. The seller claimed they hold a good charge, but I get the impression he's not been using them as often lately.

More questions:
    1. For $80, is this a fair deal?
    2. How likely are the bats to be duds?
    3. What other questions should I consider asking the seller, ie: how were the bats stored (temp, charged frequently, etc), or how often has the tool been used (construction vs home use)?
    4. MOST IMPORTANTLY: will the charger work with my new 18v LiIon batteries?
    5. Should I instead be talking to Ridgid cust service, rather than hoping for a quick response from this forum?

Thanks in advance, hopefully I'll get some advice before I miss this boat!
    1.deal?....check out ebay. I don't think this is a great deal for a six year old circ saw, charger and batts
    2. batts are duds?.....very likely. Ours need to be replaced after 2-3 years
    4. charger will NOT work with LI batts
    Hope this helps......Ray

Comment

Working...
    X