X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collet for Rigid Laminate trimmer

Where can I get a 1/8th" collet for a Rigid laminate trimmer. I need it to use 1/8" micrograin end mills.

Sherm

Re: Collet for Rigid Laminate trimmer

Sherm,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

As far as I know, you can't buy an 1/8-inch collet to fit the laminate trimmer or, in most cases, any other 1/4-inch colleted brand router.

What you can do, however, is buy an 1/8-inch adapter to fit a 1/4-inch collet. I think these can be purchased from most any source that sells the smaller diameter shank bit. As I recall, both Rockler and Lee-Valley sell them as well as others. The source of your cutter bits should sell adapters to go into either of the standard-sized 1/4- and 1/2-inch collets.

NOTE: I looked on the Rockler site (www.rockler.com) and couldn't find one, outside of it being included in a miniature bit set... but, I did find them available at the Lee-Valley web site: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...168,46180&ap=1

(I have no connections to Lee-Valley except as a very happy customer!)

I hope his helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      Sherm,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

As far as I know, you can't buy an 1/8-inch collet to fit the laminate trimmer or, in most cases, any other 1/4-inch colleted brand router.

What you can do, however, is buy an 1/8-inch adapter to fit a 1/4-inch collet. I think these can be purchased from most any source that sells the smaller diameter shank bit. As I recall, both Rockler and Lee-Valley sell them as well as others. The source of your cutter bits should sell adapters to go into either of the standard-sized 1/4- and 1/2-inch collets.

NOTE: I looked on the Rockler site (www.rockler.com) and couldn't find one, outside of it being included in a miniature bit set... but, I did find them available at the Lee-Valley web site: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...168,46180&ap=1

(I have no connections to Lee-Valley except as a very happy customer!)

I hope his helps,

CWS
      Yes, I've used the split bushings before with other laminate trimmers but I know other cuemakers who've found 1/8" collets that seemed to run a little bit truer. I have a cnc router I hope to use this rigid laminate trimmer on to cut inlay pockets and the parts to fit the pockets. Accuracy is very important. For the last several years I've used high end spindles for this purpose but I've got tired of paying $450 to $1000 for them and they don't seem to last any longer than the laminate trimmers. I, at one time used Porter Cable laminate trimmers on the machine. If I could find a "good one" that had little or no run-out so they were accurate enough, it worked out OK. I just had 2 high end cnc spindles go out in a weeks time and decided to take another shot at the laminate trimmer route. I like the Rigid trimmer MUCH better than the Porter Cable ones I've used in the past, I just hope it works out accuracy wise. It's certainly much quieter and seems like a better piece of equipment but when you're using bits as small as 1/64" if they don't run very true, the bits break too easily and give me a bad fit on the inlays as well. I may take the 1/4" bushing to a machine shop and see if I can have a couple of 1/8" collets made that will run true if the split bushing doesn't give me the results I need. I wish Rigid offered them as an optional accessory.

Comment

Your work sounds very interesting. I bet there are many other forum members who'd love to see a photo or two (sorry if that's a bit presumptious).

On my Ridgid trim router (the R2400), the collet appears to be rather simple, with a single split; not nearly as sophisticated as the collet on the larger R2930.

I say that only because I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a decent machine shop or tool maker examine the existing design, take dimensions, and make something that would fit your demands. You could determine the thread size of the shaft, or call Ridgid Technical Support to see if they can provide that to you. Of course it's a moot point if the router doesn't run as true as your operation demands.

Unfortunately, my router use is strickly hobby/homeowner kind of stuff and obviously my experience and application would pale in comparison to other's experience, I'm sure.

May I suggest that you post with a more specific title regarding use of a micro-router bit or something. It might draw out some of the more experienced members.

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful,

CWS

Comment

Your work sounds very interesting. I bet there are many other forum members who'd love to see a photo or two (sorry if that's a bit presumptious).

On my Ridgid trim router (the R2400), the collet appears to be rather simple, with a single split; not nearly as sophisticated as the collet on the larger R2930.

I say that only because I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a decent machine shop or tool maker examine the existing design, take dimensions, and make something that would fit your demands. You could determine the thread size of the shaft, or call Ridgid Technical Support to see if they can provide that to you. Of course it's a moot point if the router doesn't run as true as your operation demands.

Unfortunately, my router use is strickly hobby/homeowner kind of stuff and obviously my experience and application would pale in comparison to other's experience, I'm sure.

May I suggest that you post with a more specific title regarding use of a micro-router bit or something. It might draw out some of the more experienced members.

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful,

CWS

Well I received a new split bushing today and was able to run some tests with my new Rigid laminate trimmer. The split bushing in the 1/4" collet was extremely difficult to tighten up adequately. Using the built in spindle stop feature is not an option. I was

afraid I was going to break the trimmer using it. I did use it the first attempt and the bit quickly slipped down and out of the split bushing. I used 2 wrenches to tighten it up next and hopefully it's going to hold. It did for the couple of hours I ran it through

it's paces. I must say this is the nicest laminate trimmer I've used to date. The spindle had no measurable run-out. It seemed as accurate as the high end spindles, at least for now. I hope it doesn't get sloppy as it wears in, but so far so good! It's much

quieter than any spindle or laminate trimmer I've used to date. I always before had to use a compressor under the CNC to supply a jet of air at the cutter to keep the pockets clear. The exhaust on the Rigid serves that purpose very well so I have one less

machine running, using electricity and making noise. The little LED light on the bottom is also a great feature that makes it easier to see whats going on. So far I'm extremely pleased with the Rigid Laminate Trimmer. I hope I don't get too much mileage out

of the "Lifetime Warranty" that came with the unit. It looks like a great tool so far! I do wish I had a good 1/8" collet instead of using the split bushing because I'm a little concerned about the possibility of rounding off the hex heads on the spindle due to

the extreme pressure necessary to close it adequately enough to grip the 1/8" shanked Micro Grained Carbide endmills I have to use, but that's the only downside I've encountered. I'm going to be very busy for the next week due to the fact I'm leaving

the 19th for a major pool tournament I play in and sell cues at which will last til the end of the month, but maybe when I get back I'll find some time to post a few pictures of the work I'm doing with this set-up.

Sherm
          Last edited by cuesmith; 01-13-2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Sherm,

Just a quick follow-up to your comment about the "Lifetime Warranty".

Please be aware that the "warranty" is three years!

The "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" that is available, requires you to properly register your tool. IF YOU DON'T register, you will only have the 3-year warranty!

Registration requires a couple of steps, first being that you should register the tool online and second and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you need to send in a copy of your purchase receipt AND the original UPC from the Trim Router package.

Along with that, you either fill out the enclosed registration form or do something similar to what I do... type up a letter, including your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, the product model, serial number, date of purchase. Attach to that the UPC and a copy of your receipt.

It takes five to six months for the tool to be entered into the system and it is very important that you follow up, check your tool registration page (they call it your "dashboard"). If it doesn't show up in five months, you will need to call them. Stuff has been known to get lost and if it does, you will be S.O.L., never knowing until you need service and find out you didn't get the LLSA!

I know it sounds like a PITA, but it is worth the effort I think. I've registered all my Ridgid tools and so far everything has been registered fine. I'm still waiting on my Jointer and JobMax purchases though which were registered back at the beginning of September. Hopefully the warranty status should be upgraded soon!

If I can answer any questions regarding registration for the LLSA, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kindest regards,

CWS

Comment

Sherm,

Just a quick follow-up to your comment about the "Lifetime Warranty".

Please be aware that the "warranty" is three years!

The "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" that is available, requires you to properly register your tool. IF YOU DON'T register, you will only have the 3-year warranty!

Registration requires a couple of steps, first being that you should register the tool online and second and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you need to send in a copy of your purchase receipt AND the original UPC from the Trim Router package.

Along with that, you either fill out the enclosed registration form or do something similar to what I do... type up a letter, including your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, the product model, serial number, date of purchase. Attach to that the UPC and a copy of your receipt.

It takes five to six months for the tool to be entered into the system and it is very important that you follow up, check your tool registration page (they call it your "dashboard"). If it doesn't show up in five months, you will need to call them. Stuff has been known to get lost and if it does, you will be S.O.L., never knowing until you need service and find out you didn't get the LLSA!

I know it sounds like a PITA, but it is worth the effort I think. I've registered all my Ridgid tools and so far everything has been registered fine. I'm still waiting on my Jointer and JobMax purchases though which were registered back at the beginning of September. Hopefully the warranty status should be upgraded soon!

If I can answer any questions regarding registration for the LLSA, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kindest regards,

CWS
              CWS,
              I did fill out the paperwork and send it in as it requested but I didn't see anything that said I had to also register online. Are you sure it's necessary to do both?

Sherm

Comment

I honestly don't know that it's a necessity, but I've registered all my tools both online as well as the required in the mail with the receipt and UPC.

The "online" registration allows you to setup your "dashboard" and it gives you a direct indication of the tool's registration status... which takes a way-too-long five to six months. With the online registration you can at least check in and out of your "dashboard" to see when the "3-year warranty" gets upgraded to "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement".

When you do the online registration, you'll be given a customer ID number and the tool will also be assigned a registration number. It will give you something to refer to, when you start to wonder where in the heck your LLSA is?

If this is your first Ridgid purchase, soon after it gets entered into the LLSA system, you will be mailed a customer ID card... little plastic (about the size of a keychain card) thing with your Customer number embossed on it. You will only get one of these on your initial tool registration and all other tool registrations will just be assigned to that customer ID.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

It seems silly to answer my own question, but possibly this can help another craftsman. After purchasing a 1/4-1/8 split bushing, which actually didn't work too bad except it takes a lot of torque to tighten the nut sufficiently to compress the 1/4" collet and the split bushing enough to grip the 1/8" micrograin carbide endmills I use for inlay work on my cues. I was shopping at my endmill supplier and lo & behold I noticed a tab for collets. It seems that "Think & Tinker" the makers of the finest miniature endmills on the planet, makes precision collets to fit several common routers & laminate trimmers, including one that fits both the Bosch Colt and the Rigid 2400 series spindles. These are highly precision ground and designed so that they will close on a bit without needing a large torque wrench to get them to compress to the proper size. Here's a link to the page where the collets are but you can also navigate from there to the other quality products they sell. http://precisebits.com/gateways/ColletsNutsHome.htm

I love my Rigid spindle and I'm sure that with the addition of this precision collet, I'll even love it more!

Sherm Adamson
                  Sherm Custom Cues

Comment

Sherm,

Thanks for the update and the link!

These collets are certainly much superior to the OEM collet. While I think the collet on my Ridgid 2900 is excellent, the one on there trim router is a very basic, to say the least.

I was surprised too at the price of the PreciseBits' collets as they don't seem out-of-line at all and would fit well into most of our budgets for such things.

So THANKS for the link and I appreciate your update,

CWS

Comment

I just stumbled upon this discussion after researching the same question. You may want to look here: http://www.precisebits.com/products/...h_Colt_Collets

They seem nice and I'm planning on getting a set of 1/4" and 1/8" for my cnc router table.

Comment

Working...
                      X