No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8408 Radio MAJOR PROBLEMS

I've had my radio a year, but it stopped working correctly after only three months so it's been in a closest for nine. I was so busy at work last year that I never had time to deal with it so I figured I'd get some input from you guys.

I have a R8408 Ridgid radio. When I plug it in it'll get constant power and never loses it ( I know this because I can charge my ipod and it never stop charging). Even though it gets constant power, the radio itself will only stay on for a few minutes at most. It doesn't matter if I use AM/FM or one of the aux options it still won't work. It's almost as if there is a loose connection or something, it just really confuses me because like I said the radio does have power at all times. Any help would be much appreicated.

Re: R8408 Radio MAJOR PROBLEMS

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

Radio's (any radio) are fairly complex. Intermittant operation could be from any of a number of causes. Without an actual "hands-on" by a radio tech, it's just a wild guess.

It could be something as simple as a loose-connection, but then it seems like it would just as easily come back on from time to time if the radio is jiggled or moved. Or, it could be that there's a failure in the power supply, or almost any other part of the circuitry.

You don't mention a hum or any other audio noise, so I can only guess that it's a power problem, but "guess" is about the limit.

Probably the best thing you could do is get it in for service. Most likely no one in the nearest service center will be able to directly help either, unless of course there's a tech bulletin regarding a known problem. Generally speaking radio repair and tool repair are about as different in skills as plumbers and electricians. (In other words, it will have to go to specific service department where they'll probably swap out the power module or a circuit board.)

The alternative of course is to find a local radio repair guy, but that will undoubtedly void the warranty and you'll have to foot the bill yourself... I'd simply send it off to your nearest Ridgid authorized service center and they should be able to take it from there.

Sorry this isn't more helpful,

Last edited by CWSmith; 01-12-2011, 11:26 AM.