X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roto zip jobmax idea

Topic. Spiral saw attachment for the jobmax. Thoughts? Or does the multi head kinda outclass a spiral saw for cutting outlet boxes?

Re: Roto zip jobmax idea

Originally posted by Alajeff View Post
    Topic. Spiral saw attachment for the jobmax. Thoughts? Or does the multi head kinda outclass a spiral saw for cutting outlet boxes?
    it maybut a good idea anyway. Maybe a combo roto zip dremel?

Comment

It might be worth looking into, but I don't know the rpm of either the JobMax or the requirements for the efficiency of a rotary cutting bit.

I can say that for cutting outlet boxes and similar pierce cuts, I think the straight-cut efficiency of the JobMax an similar straight-edge blades is greater. At least that has been my experience with the couple of times I've used rotary cutter drill-like bits.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

If Ridgid is going to keep the jobmax line then adding things like a rotary cutting head and a small circular saw head would be great. Rotary cutters spin at a very high speed but they could gear it in such a way to obtain the speed. I used my rotozip tool to cut outlet boxes and it is kind of hard to control, it wants to spin off. I did like to use the Rotozip circular blade to cut cement backer board. The jobmax equipped with a small 2~3" circular blade would work well.

Comment

IMO the multimax type tools are far superior to rotozip types for electrical boxes - no contest, really. Easier to control, far less dust and the multimax gets used for tons of other tasks as well. The rotozip type tool... well... let's just say that I have a top of the line one and have been disappointed from day one. Wish I had the money back.

Gearing up a tool to get router speeds isn't easy because of the speed. It probably can't be made durable AND inexpensive... the gears themselves have to be very accurate. It's one thing to gear a drill... quite another to get 25k-30k rpm. That's why routers are direct drive.

Comment

I thought that the guts that made the tool work went into the attachment head. I had a Dewalt 12v impact driver that worked awesome. How's the ridgid jobmax right angle impact? That should spin pretty fast. Wouldn't a properly geared head work as a rotozip? Or, would it technically be impossible? I had a ryobi spiral saw a while back and didn't use it much. I do have a small investment of multiple 12v ridgid stuff, so I thought it would be the perfect complement to my arsenal. I would use it more than the ryobi I used to have, since it would go into my van kit.

Comment

It isn't technically impossible. It would just be expensive. There is a very large difference in the accuracy of the gears required when you try to gear a shaft up to 25k-30k rpm compared to 500-1300 rpm like most geared tools. Without that accuracy, the thing's life under load would likely be measured in minutes. Acurate gears at that level are a whole lot different than the molded, sintered or cut gears in most commercial tools.

I would guess that the complete Rotozip would costs less than the gearbox attachment would cost.

Comment

Gotcha. I guess that shatters my dream. But, not really. The multi head cuts a pretty good box. I guess I just didn't grasp how much speed those rotozip/spiral saws put up. Dang.

Comment

Sign me up for that one, just add a 1/4 collet for router bits and perhaps a plunge attachment, if it go's that far then add a circle cutter and guide
                  fence. don't know how well the batteries would hold up

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                  it maybut a good idea anyway. Maybe a combo roto zip dremel?

Comment

Well maybe the roto head has more limited uses now with the oscillating but I still think a small circular saw head for the jobmax would be nice.

Comment

i agree thats the best idea in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                      X