X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Dado blades on the R4512

I recently bought an R4512 and I'd like to make dado cuts. The manual says that I can use up to 8" blades. Yesterday, when I installed the blades, they were too close to the release switch and I am unable to flip it down. The manual says to remove an internal washer and spacer from the arbor but they don't seem to be removable.

I've seen some discussions on here about only using 6" dado blades instead of the 8". I'm wondering if I'd have the same problem mentioned above with 6" blades.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm somewhat over a woodworking novice. This is my first brand new table saw.

Thanks!

Re: Using a Dado blades on the R4512

I believe they are talking about the washer the goes between the nut and the blades. For wider dado's it's OK to not use this washer when you mount the dado setup onto the arbor.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I think you're right about the washer. There's plenty of room on the arbor so that's not a problem with using the dado blade. The problem is that the release switch won't come down because it's right on top of the blade. I'm only trying to make a 1/2" dado cut so I don't have that many blades on there.

That's why I was thinking that I wouldn't have that problem with a 6" blade.

Comment

I have yet to see a 4512 show up at the local HD so I'm not familiar with it and don't know what your referring to when you speak of the release switch. That being said, I've run both 6" and 8" dado sets on my TS and have yet to make a dado that would be deeper than the 6" set could handle. The lighter 6" set would also put less stress on your motor.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Here's the release button (with the orange handle) I was talking about. This picture has the 10" blade on it. You can also see that removing the washer on the outside of the blade wouldn't make a difference.

I think I would probably have plenty of clearance with a 6" blade. I still find it weird that the manual says you can use a 8" blade. I just don't see how it would fit.

Comment

I have the same question. Just finished putting the saw together two days ago and found I absolutely could not use my 8" dado set. That lever runs right into it. My solution to get around it was to remove the two cap screws that hold the entire assembly on the trunnion. That got rid of the lever completely. Of course, this would be a real PITA if I had to go through this every time I wanted to use the dado set. I'm looking for a better solution.

Maybe a knob instead of that lever. Maybe a re-machining of the cam action so the lever is straight up when engaged instead of interfering with the blades. Maybe a quick-removal setup of some sort that doesn't require removing the back as I had to do.

Sent in a note to Customer Service to ask how they intended dado sets to be used on this setup.

Mike

Comment

Re: Using a Dado blade on the R4512

Got a reply today to remove the blade guard for dado cuts. Obviously, the question was not fully understood by Cust. Svc. Tried a more detailed explanation (wish a pic could be attached).

Mike

Comment

I've never seen a release lever quite like that. Is there anyway to remove the release lever? If not, it does look like a 6" dado set would probably clear the lever.

Also, I'd suggest upgrading the stock blade to at least something like a Freud Diablo D1040, D1050, CMT P10050, or a Ridgid Titanium R1050C (also by Freud). If you want even better performance you can opt for a top shelf blade like the Infinity 010-150, Forrest WWII TK (30T or 40T), Ridge Carbide TS2000 TK, or Freud Fusion TK.

Comment

I'm using Freud blades for everyday operations. The one that came with the saw is in a drawer.

Yes, the release lever and its mount can be removed by removing the two cap screws that hold the assembly on. However, that's rather clumsy to do (tight space - easy to drop stuff - don't ask how I know) and it affects the side-side adjustment of the riving knife when you put it back together. If you do drop a screw, it goes right out the bottom into the plumbing for the dust collector. Real PITA to go looking for it in the hose.

I posted a pic showing the interference in the thread titled "R4512 Read Rail hole problem". Someone asked for it there. The picture shows the lever halfway down and already hitting the dado blade. Naturally, you would leave it pointed up, but it vibrates like crazy because it isn't cam-locked in that position and the fear is that it will vibrate itself down into the dado blades once it starts to move. I tried to turn the assembly 90 degrees to the right so that it would be cam-locked in the vertical position and open at the 3 o'clock position, but the machining doesn't allow for any variation. It needs re-design to do anything different.

Mike

Comment

Forgot to mention, already invested rather heavily in 8" dado set and box cutter set (Freud). Switching to 6" isn't an option.

Mike

Comment

Found this pic of the previous saw - the R4511. If you look on the right side of the assembly, you can see a 'wingnut' type of knob for tightening the riving knife. This looks much better than the lever used on the R4512 that interferes with dado blades, unless of course this knob setup had its own problems. Question is whether or not it could be used on the R4512 as a replacement.

Mike
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is the reply I received from Customer Support:

"You would leave the lever in the up position when you use a dado on the saw. You can not go higher than 1.5" when using the dado or the lever will hit the throat plate."

The height restriction is not a problem, the vibrating lever is. I suspect I will do a little cutting and welding on it. Plan is to cut the lever off and re-weld it 90 degrees to the right so there is no chance of vibrating down into the blades.

Mike

Comment

Well, re-welding it the way I described won't work. That would mean the lever is pointing up when locked when a regular blade is installed and restrict it's cut to a height of 1 1/2".

A knob sounds like a better solution.

Mike

Comment

I happened upon the owner's manual for the Crapsman and Dayton sister saws to the 4512 and the riving knife on both is secured with a knob rather than the lever. Maybe it would fit the 4512 with little or no modification?
                            Mike

Comment

Nearest Sears store is 140 miles from me. May get to it some time in the next month or so and will check that out, if they have one on display.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X