Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Kerf

Hi,
    I have a 3650, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with using a thin kerk 3/32 blade since the splitter/guard seems also to be only slightly more narrow than this. I've been using regular 1/8 kerf blades and wanted to try something different if even makes a difference...
    Steve

Re: Thin Kerf

I run a Forrest WWII thin kerf on my 3650 with no problems. I hate to admit this - I don't use the splitter.

Comment

Thanks. That's what I thought. And that's exactly the blade I'm looking to get too! Good timing. And yeah, I'm Mr. Safety First around here. Watch those fingers!
      Steve

Comment

A year or so ago there were some threads dealing with what you described. I can't recall what the outcome was but maybe a Search will turn up something for you. I believe that this was a hit or miss problem with some of the 3650's but not all of them. I remember that at the time I measured the splitter on my saw and it was quite a bit thinner than any thin kerf blade I looked up with the WWII being one of those.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I remember a couple of years ago, Ridgid sold some saws that had an ultra thin kerf blade (in the 0.080" range) that made kerf thinner than the stock "normal" thin kerf splitter (~ 0.090")....I'm not positive, but I think it involved some of the TS3660's. A very dangerous situation for sure.

As long as your splitter isn't wider than your blade, it should be fine. Most 3/32" thin kerf blades run in the range of 0.090 to 0.106", with the majority in the 0.094 to 0.1" range. Pick a good quality blade like a Forrest, Infinity, Ridge Carbide, CMT, Freud, or DW Precision Trim, and it should work fine for you.

Comment

hewood jump started the ole memory. That's the issue I was thinking about.

Comment

Re: TS3660 blade narrower than splitter
              I received my replacement blade from Ridgid and the teeth meas. .098". The blade that came with my TS3660 meas. .071". This new blade should work fine since my splitter meas. .085". I'm very pleased with the quick response to my concern from Ridgid.

Comment

Cutnail - Unless Ridgid sent you one of their Titanium series blades (by Freud AFAIK), I'd still suggest a new higher quality blade for furniture work.

Comment

Thanks to all. I just ordered a Forrest Woodworker II 40T 3/32 thin kerf. Should be here in a few days. I am going to be intersted to see how it measures up (literally) to my current $40 blade.
                  Steve

Comment

Just the fact that you will be able to get many more sharpenings out of the WWII already makes it measure up better than that $40 blade.

Comment

New WWII blade arrived. Very impressive. Something to say for the simplicity of its look and the the amount of carbide on each tooth! I'm going to spend the next couple days setting up the alignment on the table saw and tweak the trunnions and whatever else. Should be a good little cabin fever project since they are predicting about 30+ inches of snow!!
                      Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X