Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD6800 Questions

Hi,
    Is the 30 Amp connector on the 6800 watt generator the twist type?
    Does this unit have surge protection?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brian

Re: RD6800 Questions

Yes, it's a twist-lock plug. See this link:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HUB...659?Pid=search

No, it does not have surge protection... if you're referring to circuitry intended to protect devices being powered by the generator. It DOES have circuit breakers, but they're only intended to help protect the generator in case you overload it.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Doctor,

Thanks for your response.
      An electrician has advised me to find a unit that has "surge protection".
      Unless he means circuit breakers, I don't think I am going to find one.

Thanks again,

Brian

Comment

Yes, there are generators with surge protection. Inverter generators, by design, are surge protected. The problem with them, however, is two fold...
        1) They're usually small generators - the bigger ones are in the 4000 watt range.
        2) They're astronomically expensive when you get up to the 4000 watt range ($2k-$3k+).

As an alternative, if surge protection is a necessity, you can use a standard generator in conjunction with a "whole-house" surge protector such as the one in this link...

http://www.smarthome.com/4860/Levito...otector/p.aspx

Comment

Thanks again.

I just bought the RD6800.
          I'll look into the type of surge protection you suggested.

Comment

Brian, what's the intended use of your genny?

The reason I ask, I'm trying to figure out why an electrician suggested surge protection. Most gennies produce power that's at least as clean as, and often cleaner than what's coming in from the street.

Comment

I'm not doing anything special here. Just a unit to have on hand to deal with the fairly frequent power failures in the area.

It's a good size house, but I don't have anything special that I need to run. Heat, well water, a few lights, microwave, fridge, etc.
              I do have TV's and computers, but I could get by without them if using them with this generator is ill-advised.

Two last questions:
              Would power strips with built in surge protectors properly protect things like TV sets and PC's? I'm using a couple of them now. I know that some of these items are better than others.

What is meant by the comment "Armourâ„¢ Heavy-Duty Alternator with Auto Voltage Regulation - reliable and clean power for your tools & equipment" in Ridgid's description of the RD6800? Isn't this saying that this unit delivers clean power?

Thanks

Comment

Just as an fyi as well,

My RD8000 is used to power (when PGE fails) a small house/cabin in which I do live. My touchy gear, HT stuff and computers, are all on APC battery back-up devices and those, when the power is out, are connected to the generator directly. The readouts on the APC units show delivered output that is indeed as Doctordeere reported... better than the PGE that is the main source.

Incredibly stable power as when the refer cycles, a voltage drop of 6 to 10 volts might be read on PGE and yet the RD8000 fluctuation is gentler and actually seems quicker to respond to the new draw.

Pretty cool....

Doug k
                Last edited by d6500k; 01-23-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Would power strips with built in surge protectors properly protect things like TV sets and PC's?
                  Don't put a whole lot of faith in those strips. Most of them aren't really capable of much protection.

Most desktop PCs have a power supply that is more than capable of cleaning up any power source as long as it's the correct voltage and frequency. Laptops have a step-down transformer, regulator and full-wave bridge rectifier in their power supplies, so they're OK too. TVs? Just depends on the TV. Your computer gear really should be on a UPS anyway. Printers, especially laser printers, sometimes don't do so well on some generators.

What is meant by the comment "Armour™ Heavy-Duty Alternator with Auto Voltage Regulation - reliable and clean power for your tools & equipment" in Ridgid's description of the RD6800? Isn't this saying that this unit delivers clean power?
                  Like I said earlier... it's probably as clean or cleaner than what you have coming in from the street. I think your electrician just wants to sell you a surge suppressor. You're really far more likely to need one with street power than with the generator.
                  Last edited by Doctordeere; 01-23-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the assistance.

I think the unit I bought will do the job.

Comment

I think the unit I bought will do the job.
                      Yep. Probably so.

Just remember to buy a bit of Sta-Bil to add to the fuel so it doesn't go skunky between uses. Nothing worse than needing your genny just to find out the gas turned to cat pee a few months back...

Comment

Re: RD6800 NO power

HI I have a new 6800 and I cannot get power. Followed instructions, oil and gas started right up but cannot get power GFCI's tripping and I can't figure out why...even with a short 12ga extension. They trip even without anything plugged in. Also, should the little red light by each outlet be lit?

Thanks

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                        X