No announcement yet.

ryobi 18v one+ batteries won't charge

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryobi 18v one+ batteries won't charge

i have 2 ryobi 18v one+ batteries that i haven't used in a couple months. i went to charge them, and when putting them in the charger, the green+yellow lights come on right away showing they are fully charged...but they're totally dead. left one in for hours and it won't pick up a charge at all - but still shows fully charged. same thing happens with both batteries.

i've read that over time these batteries can end up not being detected at all by this charger, but i've not read anything about them being dead and still showing as fully charged.

do i have any options here? (other than buying 2 new batteries).

Re: ryobi 18v one+ batteries won't charge

I would try another battery charger first. Next thing I would try would to zap the batteries. Do a search on Youtube for that. Otherwise the batteries are cheap, buy a new $80 kit with two batteries and new tools to sell to offset the purchase price
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

This is an old thread but I figure someone may google the issue and land here as I did when I had this issue. For that reason I'll post what I did to fix this issue on about a half dozen dead batteries.
      ** disclaimer: I don't recommend messing around with power or that you do this, it's just what I've done in my own experience.

I popped my battery in the charger and it's almost instantly yellow & green, though I noticed I get a hint of red. I unplugged the charger with the battery still in it and then plugged the cable back in and notice the same behavior. I then barely plug the cable in the power outlet and pull it out, maybe three times a second, the red light becomes more prevalent but green/yellow still come on too. I just time it so that I end up with the power cable landing in the outlet at the exact moment the red light comes on and leave it in. Battery charges up like new, this process worked on all dead batteries I've had so far.

Just my opinion but seems weird that all of my batteries lasted about the same time frame and then just died quickly. It would seem like the product is engineered to force you to buy the batteries again as consumables, after all who wants to replace their tools if they can just buy a new battery. It's an ingenious design to make all the tools use the same power source, get you totally invested in multiple tools and a shared battery, then force you to buy more batteries.

I would put a test meter on the charger contacts to verify it's working properly (by this I mean the charger output is greater than 18 volts DC. Next inspect the battery contacts themselves and measure static battery charge. If the charger is good, and the battery contacts are making good contact, the battery is most likely defective. Just be sure the batteries aren't too hot or too cold going onto the charger (although not winter anywhere yet) as a temperature sensor event can inhibit charging...although I don't think this is the problem.

For reference, I have over 100 M12/M18 batteries (and over 20 chargers including a 6-station rapid)--some batteries sit long periods--extreme hot and cold--while others get used daily and/or charged multiple times per day. In over 3+ years I've completely switched to M12/18 not one malfunction or bad battery. It's mindnumbing how much money I have in batteries but comforting to defects, zero worries.

I used to used cordless Dewalt, Makita, B&D, Snap-On, Craftsman, Hitachi, endless pile of chargers and useless non-interchangeable, non-compatible batteries...but got ride of them all. I grew so SICK of Dewalt going from 12V to hey try our new 12.2V and new charger for exact same tools...every year! Hitachi batteries came out great but within 2-years the same batteries new didn't last at all. Build a brand on quality then destroy it with bad batteries. Ridiculous.

So I promised ALL OEMs--I reached out to every one of them--I would be the first to spend upwards of $100,000 on a complete line of tools that offered: (1) all the tools I need across multiple disciplines (2) all the batteries must be interchangeable (3) all chargers must be compatible (4) must have heavy-duty tool option (5) best batteries available (6) and you won't stop innovating...we'll want more.

Turns out I've spent a bit more. Other OEMs are now scrambling to catchup (better late than never I suppose) whcih should mean better, more productive tools--better value--for consumers. Heck even my new Ridgid cordless SeeSnake Compact2 is incredible. Love it. So while im never going back to everyone's batteries and chargers all over my place, I do appreciate salting my operations with a few specialty tools that have unique batteries and charger. My hope is more cordless tools use the same so efficiency increases and clutter is minimized.

Anyway, my apologies for random musings here, but a nerve was struck. Next time, please call before you dig....

Was at a local phcc trade show over the weekend where I purchased a 18 volt milwaukee bandsaw and the newest 18 volt super hawg. This is the plumbers version with the gearing desigend to drill large holes up to 4 5/8" self feed or 6" holesaw. With a 5ah battery it drilled 75- 2 9/16" holes.

hopefully it will replace my corded timberwolf as my 1 1/4" sectional drain drill.

Salesman threw in a free 18 volt hacksaw and 5ah battery. charged it all last night and will hit the road today with it. Although my jetter might not be too happy to have a sidekick.

phoebe it is

Nice move, Rick. Any key takeaways from the PHCC?

You're going to love the new gear. If you haven't tried any of M18 LED lights, give the lantern a go. Amazing work area lighting. Entire product offering is stellar. Not one tool yet I've purchased where I say, it's good, but don't use. Even the M12 copper pipe cutter. I've probably done upwards of 2,000 cuts on just one of mine.

i have 3 of the copper cutters and they seem to loose tension on the cutter after a short time. no tension takes lots of time to cut the copper.

phoebe it is

• Colorado Contractor
                Editing a comment
                What diameter and type you cutting? Mostly 1/2in L here. Maybe try new wheels? If you're not getting the performance I am, something isn't right. Only problem I've had was soaking the unit. I got out my backup and let the primary dry a day. Worked fine next day and from then on.