X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID R4330 13 In. Thickness Planer with 3-Blade Cutterhead

I'm looking at purchasing a portable planer, It's a toss up between the Ridgid and the Delta? any thoughts on these or can you recommend another brand.

The reviews I've been reading on the Ridgid appears to be good and the price is right at $499 from HD or the Delta 15 Amp 13-Inch Benchtop Planer at $649 Portercable also has one for $399.hmmm

Cheers
    Glen

Re: RIDGID R4330 13 In. Thickness Planer with 3-Blade Cutterhead

In the price range of the Ridgid and well below the Delta you could get yourself a factory reconditioned DeWalt DW735. The DeWalt consistently receives the highest marks whenever benchtop planers are compared. If you do consider the DeWalt you should also either buy their optional infeed/outfeed tables or build an infeed/outfeed system yourself. Without the use of infeed/outfeed tables the DeWalt will have a tendency towards leaving snipe on your workpiece but the addition of those tables will eliminate that.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would be hesitant on the Ridgid, or at least do some searching here on the website for further comments. While I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the previous R1300 model (2-blade cutter head with locking mechanism), the newer R4330 (3-blade cutter head, no lock). The latter has had a few posts concerning the movement of the cutter head during operation.

Basically the design changed between models, with the newer unit dropping the cutter head lock in favor of a four screw-post design. While that should be an improvement over the R1300's two screw-posts, there apparently is a problem with movement. It's NOT something that appears to be a prevalent complaint; but still, it has been reported a few times. And for that reason, I would be hesitant and I haven't read anywhere that Ridgid has a technical fix for the alleged problem.

The DeWalt does appear to be very popular, though quite pricey. I would have to agree with BadgerDave on his advice.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Comment

for some objective, expert information regarding benchtop planers, wood magazine tested several popular benchtop planers in the 11/06 issue and did another test in 2010 ( the month escapes me). and while its old, here is a 2004 FWW test of benchtop planers:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...aners.0204.pdf

hope this helps.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks all for the great advice and the review from FINER9998, It looks like the Dewalt DW-735 has the edge on portable planers
          Dave I'm going to sit on the fence post until HD puts them back on sale at $499.

I dropped into HD today to have a peak at the Ridgid and the DeWalt and it looks like the DeWalt is a better built unit.

Cheers
          Glen

Comment

Glen, you HD must be one of the few that have any DW735's left in stock. HD decided last year to quit handling the DW735 and go with the lesser expensive DW734. I would approach the store manager at that HD and see just how bad he wants to get rid of that old stock. I don't remember exactly what their closeout price was but I think it was quite a bit under $499. God luck and I hope you can go get yourself a great deal.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              Glen, you HD must be one of the few that have any DW735's left in stock. HD decided last year to quit handling the DW735 and go with the lesser expensive DW734. I would approach the store manager at that HD and see just how bad he wants to get rid of that old stock. I don't remember exactly what their closeout price was but I think it was quite a bit under $499. God luck and I hope you can go get yourself a great deal.
              Dave I'm going over to HD tomorrow to give that a try.hmmm... feeling lucky

On another note I learned today that HD Canada will be soon stocking Delta tablesaws to replace the Ridgid R4512 model they discontinued stocking.

Here's the HD Canada link http://www.homedepot.ca/catalog/planers-joiners/172147

http://www.homedepot.ca/catalog/tools/172081
              Last edited by Glen L; 01-28-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X