Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cordless impact driver Ah rating

Hallo

I am about to invest in cordless impact driver on 18v system, I shop around (RIDGID, Makita, Hitachi, DeWalt etc..), then I notes that not all 18v system are the same theres 3.0 Ah and 1.5 Ah on the battery system, What are the difference.

I will use my impact driver in tight spaces to extract bolt, I do some woodwork, but mainly automotive

Sorry if I am in wrong forum or in wrong section.

thank you

Re: cordless impact driver Ah rating

You're obviously only looking at Makita if you're mentioning this...

3.0 / 2 = 1.5

The smaller batteries don't last as long...
    Last edited by dlarrivee; 02-06-2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

IMHO, if you're doing automotive, try like hell to find a kit with NiCad batteries. They don't last as long (both service life AND runtime), but lithium batteries aren't the best idea for high load use. If you can't find a NiCad set, opt for the highest Ah lithiums you can get.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
        IMHO, if you're doing automotive, try like hell to find a kit with NiCad batteries. They don't last as long (both service life AND runtime), but lithium batteries aren't the best idea for high load use. If you can't find a NiCad set, opt for the highest Ah lithiums you can get.
        Since when do you use an impact driver for automotive work?

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
          The cordless impact drivers won't loosen a lug but I have used them for removing small rusted nuts/bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by ws6316 View Post
            Hallo

I am about to invest in cordless impact driver on 18v system, I shop around (RIDGID, Makita, Hitachi, DeWalt etc..), then I notes that not all 18v system are the same theres 3.0 Ah and 1.5 Ah on the battery system, What are the difference
            The higher Ah batteries will have more endurance. The lighter 1.5 Ah batteries can be useful for overhead work.

Comment

Go to your local shop and ask for yourself. Impact wrenches (but usually pneumatic) have been used in automotive service for decades. Milwaukee has had 18V & 28V 1/2 inch impacts for several years (which WILL remove/install lug nuts), and the smaller 3/8 and 1/4 have become very popular with mechanics as well. Any professional mechanic will have a few. I have almost a dozen in various configurations and use them daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                Go to your local shop and ask for yourself. Impact wrenches (but usually pneumatic) have been used in automotive service for decades. Milwaukee has had 18V & 28V 1/2 inch impacts for several years (which WILL remove/install lug nuts), and the smaller 3/8 and 1/4 have become very popular with mechanics as well. Any professional mechanic will have a few. I have almost a dozen in various configurations and use them daily.
                I guess I should have made it obvious and bolded DRIVER for you.

An impact driver, and impact WRENCH, are NOT the same thing!

Do you own any impact sockets with a 1/4" hex shank?

Also, you're not getting anywhere near my vehicles if you install and torque lug nuts with an impact wrench...

Comment

I guess I should have made it obvious and bolded DRIVER for you.

An impact driver, and impact WRENCH, are NOT the same thing!
                  Aside from the retainer, yes, they are.

Do you own any impact sockets with a 1/4" hex shank?
                  Actually, yes. An inch set, 1/4 to 1/2 and a metric set 7mm to 13mm

Also, you're not getting anywhere near my vehicles if you install and torque lug nuts with an impact wrench...
                  Didn't offer to.

Comment

Working...
                  X