X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid X4 for 2011 with Hyper Lithium Ion Batteries

I'm hoping that the 18volt hyper lithium will be available separately at Home Depot. I like the idea that it is more cold weather friendly and has a fuel guage.

Comment

fuel gauge rocks

Comment

Off topic but whatever

$119 at Home Depot. The Tool Dept Manager says they've been there for 2 months and they have not sold a single unit.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Re: Off topic but whatever

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
          $119 at Home Depot. The Tool Dept Manager says they've been there for 2 months and they have not sold a single unit.
          Would it kill them to advertise it? How about setting up a demo for a half hour or so two or three times a week to let folks know it's there and what it can do? Granted with the economy the way it is, this is probably not the best time to push tools but if folks don't know what's available it only makes things worse. I know Ridgid likes to keep things secret till the last moment, but I still don't see the harm is getting the word out on what coming to the stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Would it kill them to advertise it? How about setting up a demo for a half hour or so two or three times a week to let folks know it's there and what it can do? Granted with the economy the way it is, this is probably not the best time to push tools but if folks don't know what's available it only makes things worse. I know Ridgid likes to keep things secret till the last moment, but I still don't see the harm is getting the word out on what coming to the stores.
            When i first saw it i didnt know it was 18 volt bat run, ours is also not by the ryobi display

Comment

I had to ask for it, got a few looks of "Huh?" and I asked the Dept. Mgr who was surprised anyone bothered to ask about it. He cant wait till it gets clearanced so he can get some room back.

Comment

I understand this is not a full size corded miter saw, but it will find a useful place for many woodworkers. Now who is to blame when a tool is put on the shelf and not advertised or pushed? Will Home Depot do the same thing with the next great tool from Ridgid? Let's say Ridgid finally comes out with a 1/2 inch heavy duty cordless impact wrench, something plenty of folks would buy and Home Depot sticks it on a shelf with no display? I'll bet unless someone is searching around and discovers it, they would just sit there just like the Ryobi.
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 03-14-2011, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I understand this is not a full size corded miter saw, but it will find a useful place for many woodworkers. Now who is to blame when a tool is put on the shelf and not advertised or pushed? Will Home Depot do the same thing with the next great tool from Ridgid? Let's say Ridgid finally comes out with a 1/2 inch heavy duty cordless impact wrench, something plenty of folks would buy and Home Depot sticks it on a shelf with no display? I'll bet unless someone is searching around and discovers it, they would just sit there just like the Ryobi.
                  the pin nailer and pin, brad nailer combos were never brought off top shelf, clearanced! The portable table saw never taken out of the package, clearanced! The x3 single tools i personally emailed home depot and probrand because they didnt come up when you typed RIDGID on the search. Now they are finally on there just in time for the x4 tools to come out. Home depot sucks, sorry but true, and the individual store managers should be held accountable. Ryobi has a better in store display than RIDGID.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                    I'm not surprised. There's really no need for a cordless mitre saw IMO.

Comment

There is if you are out in timbuktoo and don't have power, or don't want to roll out 200' of extension cords to make 5 cuts. If I had one, I would seldom use it I admit, but there are times when having it, (just like my other 18V tools) would be handy.

Comment

Originally posted by tesrl View Post
                        I'm not surprised. There's really no need for a cordless mitre saw IMO.
                        The point of it is for a few cuts here and there to not have to lug your real miter saw out. Thats worth 100 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                          The point of it is for a few cuts here and there to not have to lug your real miter saw out. Thats worth 100 bucks.
                          I could see someone who owns a 12" slider that weighs 70 lbs not wanting to take out their saw for a couple of cuts but for the same price as this 7 1/4 cordless you could get yourself a 10" or 12" CMS which is only 25lbs and much more versatile. Actually, I don't believe this saw even comes with batteries so once you add the cost of those you can get the bigger, corded version for less.

My point is that you're paying more for the cordless option and theres no real benefit to owning a cordless mitre saw.

Comment

My point is that you're paying more for the cordless option and theres no real benefit to owning a cordless mitre saw.
                            Myself and others already own the batteries(and they are cheap, $54 for 2 NICD). And when you don't want to deal with 200' of cords on a small job I would disagree with your assessment of the merit of owning or disowning a cordless mitre saw.

I can only dream of ways this saw would have made my life easier when I was running up and down stairs cutting stain grade base and door casing everyday.

I think its cool that somebody had the balls to develop and release a tool that not too many folks would use, but that small percentage would find very handy and a great asset. Would I buy one now, no. I have no justification to own it, my money is better spent towards other specialty tools that I dont own yet.
                            Last edited by masterbeavis; 04-12-2011, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I've talk to a lot of contractors over the last couple of weeks to gauge how useful a cordless mitre saw would be. The general consensus is, "bring it on." two had used this saw in the past and loved how convient it was. They both worked for a major home builder and would go do repair and warranty work, and did a lot of minor trim fixes. They said that for the size and the convience it was the perfect saw, they didn't usually have a lot of cuts so the battery life wasn't an issue. Also mentioned is that on most commercial job sites electrical service is only at 1 main panel and running a 100ft extension cord across the bays, or making that walk between every cut would a waste of time. The argument against this saw can't be just about price and weight, there are so many variables in situations where mitre saws are used to say it is useless everywhere is foolish and short sighted.

I really think the two biggest issues are that it's made by Ryobi and that it is only 18 volts, if makita or Milwaukee made one and had it 36 volts, you would see every finish carpenter with one.

Comment

Originally posted by kenthanson View Post
                                They both worked for a major home builder and would go do repair and warranty work, and did a lot of minor trim fixes.
                                Repair and warranty most likely means theres people living in the house... you can't just go running around inside with your mitre saw blowing sawdust all over someones home. You would have to be set up outside or in the garage where you can clean up and since the saw isn't moving anywhere it might as well be a better stationary one.

Also mentioned is that on most commercial job sites electrical service is only at 1 main panel and running a 100ft extension cord across the bays, or making that walk between every cut would a waste of time.
                                I know its a pain but you really aren't wasting that much time running a cord. My logic is, when using the saw all day, will the time spent running back and forth for batteries really be any different than the time it took to run a cord and set up a saw close to where you're working?

I really think the two biggest issues are that it's made by Ryobi and that it is only 18 volts, if makita or Milwaukee made one and had it 36 volts, you would see every finish carpenter with one.
                                I agree about it being made by ryobi, but with the 36v makita or milwaukee you would end up with something no different than a full sized saw minus the cord which is too big to be running around with anyway.

I just don't get the fascination with this tool. I get cordless nailers, drills, and impacts but I don't understand a cordless mitre saw.
                                Last edited by tesrl; 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X