Ridgid X4 for 2011 with Hyper Lithium Ion Batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid X4 for 2011 with Hyper Lithium Ion Batteries

I do own a 12" DeWalt, and 8" Craftsman mitre saws. I will be picking up the Ryobi for several reasons. I already own Ryobi cordless tools and two lithium batteries so that's not a added expense. Lugging either of those corded saws is a hassle, especially if it's only going to be several mitre cuts for a window or door molding. I'm sure the battery (lithium) would make enough cuts on one charge to more than make it worth the investment for small lumber work.
    If I need to do a job away from home, taking this saw along for the ride is a breeze compared to the corded ones.

I'm a home owner, not a Pro, and a few years ago I got rid of all my corded tools with the exception of just a few. I rarely need to use my corded circular saw, only a couple of times did I miss a corded drill. Unless I am building something big, I rarely use the corded mitre saws. I think the cordless mitre saw will be a big hit this time around, especially since lithium batteries are so much better than the nicad only available way back when the saw was first introduced.

Comment

What is it that you do, because I work for a general contractor and those whom I talked to are as well and these people and I all agree it would be handy saw, so if pro's think it's a good idea why can't you believe that somewhere in this great big huge world someone maybe might on the off chance find this to be a worthwhile tool. These also were not made up fairy tales of lore that I posted about, these are true stories from actual people, so the guy who used his cordless mitre saw on home warranties is wrong, and he shouldn't have done that because you said it makes no sense to do it that way. As well with the running cords across a job site, that's not for a whole day worth of cuts, but if you need to case out two windows you don't want to walk back and forth at a minimum 10 times, when a cordless saw will make 10 cuts on charge and not having to run back and forth charging and changing batteries.

Comment

Going to check out this Ryobi 18v miter saw for light trim work/repair and put the Li batteries to work. Recip/circular saws are power hogs on batteries but intermittent miter cuts should have decent battery endurance. 7 1/4 blades are inexpensive and it will be ez to transport nearly anywhere. Just hope the build quality is decent

Comment

BACK ON TOPIC. I was at home depot today and they had the sign out for the new X4 5 piece package. The price is the same as the X3 $499.00. The problem is they did not have any but did have a space on the shelf with a sign stating the spot was reserved for the x4 kit. They did not have any X3s left. The other Home Depot I went to day still had a X3 kit and no sign for the X4.

Comment

I was looking at the HD site and saw the new impact is listed http://www.homedepot.com/RIDGID/h_d1...atalogId=10053 but no X4 yet. I'll be patient . . . I guess

Comment

why does description say:

features a rocker-style switch to toggle forward and reverse modes.

Dont believe to be true

Comment

Wow, this thread went some different directions.

X4 should be out later this month but could stretch into May. I think you'll like it. I am particularly impressed with the circular saw. I had a blast tearing up some wood with it. The hammer drill is smaller but kept all the power. Neat stuff.

The batteries are great. Better weather performance, fuel gauge, good chemistry. We also updated the chargers, which have often been an afterthought. The new one is energy efficient and the icons are intuitive.

Looking forward to your thoughts when people get their hands on the tools.

Comment

So Proband..have the new battery chargers been tested for RFI/EMC
                  radio frequency interference
                  FCC pat 15 compliant?
                  Or will they be noisy unfiltered switching/pulsing chineese crap chargers?

How about a 3 wire grounded power cord and charger instead of a 2 wire polarized plug!

If you recall a while back I visited the three generations of the single charger Ridgid has
                  offered. The first two models are awful! and produce all sorts of radio noise!
                  The newest one is quieter.
                  Physically you only can identify the newer charger by the front decal saying "RIDGID"

To be fair...Ridgid is not the only battery powered tool with awful chargers...
                  I have a neighbor with some sort of battery powered tool and when he plugs it in the noise is just awful..He is 4 houses away and the noise is fed back into the power lines! This is due to improper filtering of the charger and cheap poor engineering!

Drill Doctor drill bit sharpeners...the newer models have a cheap! DC type motor and they also cause radio interference....After communicating with Drill doctor their engineer verified
                  that this is TRUE!. The units they ship to Japan includes an additional electrical noise filter
                  to reduce/eliminate the noise! They do not include it in the USA products because it could
                  add fifty cents of additional components...2 capacitors and a choke coil!!!!

Cactus Man
                  Last edited by cactusman; 04-06-2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Sure sounds like the X4 will be a hit, and I doubt there will be an offer of a heavy duty 1/2" impact wrench or grinder/cutoff tool. I still think there are plenty of professionals and home owners who will be looking for those tools and figure as nice as the Ridgid X4 kit may be, why should I have to go to another brand and batteries for them. Ridgid has the LSA, better designed batteries and tools, so why not offer a few more requested and often used tools?????????

Comment

With the new batteries and motor platforms, a cordless grinder is a lot closer. I hear you on the impact wrench - for the last few years ;-) Unfortunately, the market for that product is just not big enough (when primarily selling through one outlet.)

As for the radio noise, I'll have to ask the engineers.

Thanks for the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                        With the new batteries and motor platforms, a cordless grinder is a lot closer. I hear you on the impact wrench - for the last few years ;-) Unfortunately, the market for that product is just not big enough (when primarily selling through one outlet.)

As for the radio noise, I'll have to ask the engineers.

Thanks for the posts.
                        Thanks for the response and not getting sick and tired of my requests and questions on that tool. I know DeWalt has their heavy duty impact on display at Home Depot, and so does Ryobi. It just makes sense to me that folks shopping for a cordless tool set might compare such options by the competition. There is also the fact that many bare tools end up on Ebay and that increases the exposure for Ridgid. Think of the thousands of folks looking to buy a cordless impact wrench on Ebay, now consider if they could buy one made by Ridgid? They either buy the Ridgid heavy duty impact because they already own a kit with batteries and charger, or they buy the tool and figure they will purchase a kit from Home Depot. They get the LSA on the kit, and the better tools and batteries to boot. Just thinking, and hoping. I could go out and buy the Ryobi heavy duty impact but I think Ridgid would make a far superior tool. The Dewalt would cost me $300 and then I would have different batteries and more complications, that's why folks want to stick with one brand, one charger and one battery style. Thanks, and this is the last I'll say on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          Thanks, and this is the last I'll say on the subject.

You mean in this thread right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
                            You mean in this thread right?
                            Yes. I refuse to take no for an answer!Who doesn't want that tool? Never mind don't answer that. If they want me to stop all they have to do is make the darn tool and price it between the Ryobi and Dewalt. I'll even go to Home Depot and demo it for free, and that's the last I have to say on the matter.

Comment

Sometimes I have to use a corded impact wrench to loosen the over-tightened lug nuts after tire service before it's discovered on a dark road. It would be nice to keep a Ridgid impact wrench plus 19mm impact socket loaded and ready in the garage

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                                Sometimes I have to use a corded impact wrench to loosen the over-tightened lug nuts after tire service before it's discovered on a dark road. It would be nice to keep a Ridgid impact wrench plus 19mm impact socket loaded and ready in the garage
                                My Dad would always loosen the lugs after they were tightened by a mechanic or road service. He also added a bit of grease to the threads. I of course agree that a cordless impact would be a very useful and convenient tool to have.
                                Not only good to have at home for auto use, and heavy duty stuff like decking, but also to have along on a road trip. Whenever we would visit our daughter five hours away at college, I would take several of my Ridgid cordless tools and assorted hardware. There was always something that needed to be fastened, tightened or fabricated. Cordless is the way to go in my opinion. When I'm taking tires off to do brake jobs or suspension work, it's a hassle to drag an extension cord around and through all the other clutter that accumulates during the job. I'm not suggestiing the cordless impact would be used as often as a drill or circular saw, but it sure would come in handy.

Comment

Working...
                                X