Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ts 3650 just quit -- do I need a new motor?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts 3650 just quit -- do I need a new motor?

I was resawing some heart pine for flooring. About 3 1/2 inches thick. Was cutting it one half at a time. Bogged down a few times but seemed to be okay and then the motor just stopped. Tried the reset, jiggling, etc. I'm worried I burned out the motor, but I never smelled anything before it stopped. Any thoughts? Is there anything short of a new motor that will fix it? If I do need a new motor, anybody have any idea where I can get one?

Re: ts 3650 just quit -- do I need a new motor?

Is there a circuit breaker you may have tripped? If no smoke or burnt smell hartd to believe motor fried!
    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

checked the circuit breaker. plugged my planer in the same plug and it worked fine. scratching my head.

Comment

I meant the curcuit breaker on the induction motor on the saw. There is a push button on the motor to reset motor! Also the capacitor on the induction motor could of went! The capacitor jump starts the motor!

Comment

Hi Akita,

Yeah. I pushed that reset buttom a bunch of times but it didn't do anything. I'm afraid my knowledge of electric motors doesn't go much beyond the on-off switch. Is the induction motor the small box that sits on the top of the motor? The one that has the red buttom? Is the capacitor something inside that smaller box?

Hope I don't have to buy a new one. Just checked the ereplacement.com web site and they want something like $600. That's more than I paid for the saw. I really like my ts3650. Perfect for my small shop.

Thanks for your help. And akitas are wonderful dogs.

Best,

Bob

Comment

Induction motors are big! It's the big cylinder under the small box! The capacitor may be in the small box!

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for your patience. Would a capacitor cause the motor to just stop dead right in the middle of a cut?

Comment

Originally posted by bobhobbes View Post
                Gotcha. Thanks for your patience. Would a capacitor cause the motor to just stop dead right in the middle of a cut?
                Maybe ? The capacitor just starts the motor. Once motor is going I think it's idle! Hopefully some more people will chime in!

Comment

Sounds more like the reset to me. Does the motor spin freely? (remove the belt and spin by hand.) Sometimes the reset has to cool awhile before it will catch--reset. Now that it has cooled, try it again--if it spins freely, that is.

Comment

Thanks everyone. It cooled down and the reset button clicked in. It's humming again. Again, thanks.

Comment

Thanks everyone. It cooled down and the reset button clicked in. It's humming again. Again, thanks.
                      AWESOME! Glad it was nothing serious!

Comment

Glad all is well.

Comment

bob......is your saw registered for the lifetime service agreement (LSA)? if not, and it's less than 3 years old, it might be something to look into. that way, if you do fry the motor, ridgid will repair it for free.
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                          X