X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v lithium ion batteries won't hold a charge

I purchased a 18v ridgid cordless drill, model # R860071B about 6 mo ago and for the past 2 weeks neither battery will hold a charge over night, there has always been a burnt electrical type smell that emits from the drill while in use, it has done that since new. Anybody else have similar problems? I bought it from my local Home Depot, called them today and they said they would replace the batteries but the don't have them in stock at this time. What should I do?

Re: 18v lithium ion batteries won't hold a charge

I have the exact problem, Ive bought ridgid tools before with ni-cad bat teries and have never had a problem, I am not happy with these lithium ion batteries. I work in cold climate conditions and need reliable tools to do my job. I originally bought my drill from home depot but may have lost my reciept. Is there any way to try get replacements as in new ni-cad batteries instead of the lithium ion which do not seem to last. The batteries themselves will charge but last only 10 seconds. Please help restore my confidence in tools Ive trusted for years.

Comment

Re: 18v lithium ion batteries won't hold a charge

Originally posted by brent potts View Post
      I originally bought my drill from home depot but may have lost my reciept. Is there any way to try get replacements as in new ni-cad batteries instead of the lithium ion which do not seem to last.
      If you bought your drill with a credit card you can possibly talk the person at the returns desk into talking to the accounting department and look for a copy of the transaction. I do not know how far back they can go, but if you are nice, they will try.

Also, If it was within a reasonable time frame (say 6 months) you could "return" your drill kit and "re-purchase" it so you have a new receipt. I lost my receipt and did this (the guy at the pro desk suggested it) because my purchase was a cash transaction and they sold 15 of these kits that month. After 2 years however, you might get a funny look from the tool repair shop, i dunno. Either method will not hurt to try.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
      X