X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood magazine 14" band saw test, 05/11 issue

the may, 2011 issue of wood magazine contains a comparison test of 14" band saws. seven saws were tested and the laguna 14suv (220v) and the rikon 10-325 (110v) were both rated top tools with the grizzly go555x rated top value. two observations about the test:

1. the laguna is 50% more expensive than the next two highest priced saws (jet and powermatic @ $1000) and has a motor that is either 50% or 100% more powerful than any of the other saws. seems to almost be in a different class. should this laguna have been included?

2. jet and powermatic continue in their quest to be almost the most expensive version of whatever tool is included in a comparative tool test and yet continue to miss being rated a top tool, at least according to the results of wood's last 5 years comparison tests of common place stationary power tools(6" jointers, benchtop planers, band saws, contractor table saws, hybrid table saws and cabinet table saws.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: wood magazine 14" band saw test, 05/11 issue

I believe by now that everyone in the free world, with the possible exception of those two GEICO guys who live under rocks, knows that you're not fond of either Jet or Powermatic products. As far as I can tell, the title of your thread has nothing to do with what you posted.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Me thinks he has an identity crisis as well ,Toolie,Toolguy2000,Finer998B and who knows what other names,yet we never see anything but his deals and quotes of what he has or may not have,but your correct here and every other forum he's on, its down with Jet and Powermatic tools and the WMH group

Comment

[QUOTE=Ralphyboy;337109]....yet we never see anything but his deals and quotes of what he has or may not have.......[/QUOTE

no disagreement with the fact that i believe jet and powermatic are overvalued stationary power tools. i am an unhappy jet customer and while happy customers tell 2 or 3 people about their good product experiences, unhappy customers tell EVERYBODY. to the best of my knowledge, i am complying with the TOS for the forum. accordingly, i will continue to demonstrate, wherever possible, what a foolish and economically illogical purhcase they are.

as for not contributing to the forum, try using the serach function. here is one example:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=25836&page=2

try reading posts 14 and 15. also, note the number of participants that lauded the OPs work prior to those posts, and obviously never took the time the really analyze and understand the work enough to point out the error in the examples. johnny-come-latelys like you should try contributing something constructive first before you start piling on the all too infrequent criticism.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Maybe the Laguna is in another class than the rest of the bandsaws tested, but in a way this is good. It lets you see how well the one price/quality point tool does against one from another price point, and one that has a respectable reputation in that class. This side-by-side inclusion of the Laguna was good for comparison but it should not have been considered when judging. It's performance should have been included only for comparison.

That being said I have had the Rikon 10-325 for about 3 years now and overall I like it. If I had another grand to sink into a BS at the time I might have bought the Laguna or another brand 16" BS. But I am happy with the Rikon.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X