X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 7000w generator questions

I'm thinking of buying the 7000w generator with Honda engine. I saw it at home depot in Canada. I can't find it on the ridgid website. That scares me. Can't find specs. I intend to use it as a backup power source for my house. I need to know how noisy it is. Is the Honda engine quieter than the yamaha? Does it produce clean power for household high tech stuff, or is it better suited for power tools? Where can I find an online manual?

Thanks

Mike

Re: Ridgid 7000w generator questions

here you go. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Generators/index.htm

welcome to the forum.

read up and ask questions.

there are enough knowledgeable people on the forum, that can most likely answer all your questions

waiting for japan to ask for help

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the link Rick. However, it only shows the 6800 and the 8000 models. No mention of the 7000.

Mike

Comment

Where are Ridgid generators manufactured? Home depot's description doesn't say. I called ridgid and they referred me to one world technologies (where they get them from).

Comment

Mike, chances are it's gonna be loud. I'm guessing 9hp to drive 7000watts peak. Not sure about how clean the voltage will be for high end electronics?
          Have you considered a couple of deep cycle batterries and a good inverter? You could buy a smaller generator to charge up the batteries if the power is out too long. 7000watts is very limiting so you would have to choose wisely what household units to power. There is also the issue of gasoline consumption to consider. Good luck, Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikecanada View Post
            ... I need to know how noisy it is. Is the Honda engine quieter than the yamaha? Does it produce clean power for household high tech stuff, or is it better suited for power tools?
            I would assume that the noise levels of the Honda GX390 and the Yamaha MZ360 would be about the same. It's intended primarily as a portable jobsite generator, so noise level isn't too high on the list of priorities. If you want quiet, you're going to have to pony up the coins and purchase a generator designed to be quiet, such as the higher end home standby generators.

Ridgid generators deliver power clean enough for about 98% of the stuff in a typical home. The other 2% tend to be stuff like LCD monitors, LCD/plasma/DLP TVs, DVD players, etc. Not all of them work well with generators, it just depends on how well made their power circuitry is.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by ckelly33 View Post
              Where are Ridgid generators manufactured?
              ... they referred me to one world technologies (where they get them from).
              China. Like everything else you buy nowdays. The exception is the ones with Honda engines. The Honda engines are made primarily in Taiwan, the rest of the unit is made in China.

Ridgid doesn't "get them from" OWT, they license the Ridgid name to TTI/OWT.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Generator almost stalls. HELP in FLOODED area in NJ !!!

We are in NJ in the Flood Zone. No power 2wks + still going. bought a rigid 7.125W generator with Yamaha MZ300 engine. Have been running 24/7 for 1wk. Backfed into panelbox + is running lights + heat upstairs. Only one in area with electricity. Problem now is the engine seems to want to stall very frequently but then recovers before it stalls. I am assuming it may be gas filter or do I need to turn the generator off for periods of time. I did change the oil a few days ago. Everytime I look up this model# I can't find any info + I have no owner's manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Rugman

Comment

Re: Generator almost stalls. HELP in FLOODED area in NJ !!!

fuel filter is most likely the issue. also check the fuel cap. if the fuel filter doesn't do the trick, loosen the fuel cap to allow in air. it could be sealing and not venting properly.

best of luck that you don't need it much longer.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Generator almost stalls. HELP in FLOODED area in NJ !!!

no one should not have to shut it off except for refueling, (it should be shut off and cooled down before refueling to reduce risk of fire),

why it is stalling I have no idea, but my guess is it could water in the ethanol blend fuel, the fuel will suck water out of the air and at some point it will cause the alcohol and water to separate out of the gasoline and end up in the bottom of the tank and carburetor, and it may be sucking some of this separated product into the engine from time to time,

here is some more on phase separation, via temperature changes,

a fuel stabilizer many help, definitely use when you store the machine,

I have always ran my engines dry to an empty tank, for storage, as I do not know when I will reuse, but some say to do it this way,
                    If I was knowing I would use it in three months or less I would most likely do this way as the video suggests,

no saying this is the problem but could be,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD:

I am sure you are correct. During the recent Hurricane Sandy I have helped many neighbors who have had similar stalling/surging and not starting problems with their gen sets.. I soon realized the problem might be bad gas. I couldn't get a straight answer from my neighbors if they had used old stored gas or gas from a nearby station. We were under gas rationing and the few stations open were operating on generator power, possibility from tanks they were questionable. Also on the east coast the refineries in NJ were knocked off line. Not sure where the gas was coming from and what tankers were hauling it.

I dumped all the gas from the generators tank (at the horror of the person I was helping). I flushed all fuel lines, checked the filter for flow and flushed and drained the carburetor and its float bowl. I checked, cleaned and dried the wet fowled spark plug. After all this, the generators started and ran fine after , bad gas who knows???? Any gas stored over a few months most likely bad, me thinks!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X