Pressure Washer no flow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washer no flow

PW model #80746 circa 2008. Worked fine then following morning when turning on water flow valve motor would come under load and shut down immediatly. Motor will run fine with no water going thru pump. Water will flow thru pump when motor is not running. But start it up and introduce water and motor siezes up. Temperature did drop to 28 degrees that night but water was disconnected.

Re: Pressure Washer no flow

Just disconnecting water for low temps. isn't really enough IMO. I also blow all water from hoses/wand with compressed air, with engine in OFF position pull start handle a few times to blow out any water remaining in pump and finally I use PumpGuard anytime temps get lower than freezing when I've recently used my PW.

Sounds like your unloader could be sticking, causing the issue(s). Using something like PumpGuard after each use will not only protect it from low temps. but also lubricates all moving parts in the pump and conditions the seals/o-rings. It's around $6-8 per can and you should be able to get a dozen or more uses out of it. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

Comment

Yes, the unloader is sticking. Happens quite often on the AR axial cam pumps. Unfortunately, that's not a service part from Ridgid/TTI.

If it's less than three years old and you still have the receipt, a new (but different) pump will be installed under warranty if it is determined that the unloader has indeed failed and the pump shows no evidence of abuse, misuse or tampering. If it's not under warranty, the new style pump isn't particularly expensive, especially when compared to the original AR.

If you're skill level is up to it, you can probably repair the pump yourself. There are some AR dealers who sell individual replacement parts. Here's a link with a basic breakdown of the pump:

http://www.arnorthamerica.com/rmpumps/rmv3400bd.html
      Last edited by Doctordeere; 04-02-2011, 02:24 PM.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

May not have to "fix" the pump. I had a sticky unloader on an older Karcher pump, used PumpGuard and let it sit awhile and all was good. All that was needed was a bit of lubrication. I'm a firm believer in using it before storing my PW for any length of time. Some people don't realize how damaging minerals in their water can be.

Comment

PumpGuard / PumpSaver can be very helpful, especially after use and before storage. But the AR axial pumps are notorious for the small o-rings and back-up rings on the unloader stem deteriorating, coming apart, and causing the unloader to bind... numbers 16, 17 and 18 on the diagram in the link I provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
            Yes, the unloader is sticking. Happens quite often on the AR axial cam pumps. Unfortunately, that's not a service part from Ridgid/TTI.

If it's less than three years old and you still have the receipt, a new (but different) pump will be installed under warranty if it is determined that the unloader has indeed failed and the pump shows no evidence of abuse, misuse or tampering. If it's not under warranty, the new style pump isn't particularly expensive, especially when compared to the original AR.

If you're skill level is up to it, you can probably repair the pump yourself. There are some AR dealers who sell individual replacement parts. Here's a link with a basic breakdown of the pump:

http://www.arnorthamerica.com/rmpumps/rmv3400bd.html
            Thanks for the quick response.
            It is still under warranty until December 2011.
            Locating receipt may be troublesome, it was registered on line at time of purchase. Will that suffice?
            Since warranty is expiring soon is it advisable not to attempt lubrication but to just have it repaired.?

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
              May not have to "fix" the pump. I had a sticky unloader on an older Karcher pump, used PumpGuard and let it sit awhile and all was good. All that was needed was a bit of lubrication. I'm a firm believer in using it before storing my PW for any length of time. Some people don't realize how damaging minerals in their water can be.

And my well water does have a lot of iron. I will get the PumpGuard for future use.

Comment

Iron can surely cause issues such as this. Hope you're filtering the water somewhat before it enters the pump.

DoctorDeere, there may be issues with the cheaper AR axial pumps, but I have been running a PW with the AR SJV pump for about 3 years now and it's been flawless. Even though it's axial in design and isn't as efficient as the typical triplex design, it's heads above the typical axial cam pumps on the market based on my research and what the tech guys at AR have told me. It's rated for 800 hrs. and is easily rebuildable. FWIW it's rated at 3GPM @ 3100 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickW View Post
                  ... it was registered on line at time of purchase. Will that suffice?
                  Since warranty is expiring soon is it advisable not to attempt lubrication but to just have it repaired.?
                  It entirely depends on the service center. Most will require some sort of proof of purchase. Some will let it slide if the date of manufacture is still within the three year period. You can try printing out the Ridgid website registration and see if your service center will accept it. Go ahead and try lubrication if you wish, you don't have anything to lose at this point.

Shadow, The XJV/XJW and SJV/SJW series pumps are vastly more reliable than the RMV and RMW series (which is what TTI used in the past). They're also way more expensive... You can buy three or four Himore pumps for what one of your SJVs would cost. So you just won't see them on many units sold by the big box retailers. AR triplex piston pumps are pretty damn good as well, but they're not as cost efficient as a General pump... so you don't see them often on units sold by the big box retailers either.

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you! End of last summer my karcher gas power washer started acting up. Sometimes when I pulled the trigger there would be no high pressure. I put the machine away for the winter and figured I would look into the problem in the spring time. Thanks to your post as I was researching the "pump guard" product I came across a link describing how it worked and how to lub the unloader which is usually the problem with loss of power. I will be accessing the unloader soon and either lubing it up or replacing it with one that is supposed to resolve the problem. Thank you. Frank
                    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-04-2011, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Those Karchers seem to go forever too! I had used mine (2200psi/2.3gpm) for maybe 8 years and the guy I gave it to is still using it. Had the 6.5HP B&S Intek engine. My only regret is that I didn't buy a larger sized one when I got that one. Only reason I eventually bought a bigger PW 3 years ago was because we had moved into a much bigger property and needed something to clean faster.

The unloader had just started to stick after 8 years of use and I had never used any type of product such as PumpSaver/Guard in it before that. And like you noted Frank, there would be bouts of low/high pressure, not steady high pressure like it should've been. BTW, I think that's a testament to Karcher quality.

Comment

Those Karchers seem to go forever too! I had used mine (2200psi/2.3gpm) for maybe 8 years and the guy I gave it to is still using it. Had the 6.5HP B&S Intek engine. My only regret is that I didn't buy a larger sized one when I got that one. Only reason I eventually bought a bigger PW 3 years ago was because we had moved into a much bigger property and needed something to clean faster.

The unloader had just started to stick after 8 years of use and I had never used any type of product such as PumpSaver/Guard in it before that. And like you noted Frank, there would be bouts of low/high pressure, not steady high pressure like it should've been. BTW, I think that's a testament to Karcher quality.
                        Just finished removing the unloader valve, it was bone dry and after I wiped off the powder like residue from some of the metal surfaces I applied a generous amount of Amsoil Synthetic Multi Grease. The power washer is working like new. Thanks again, and be sure I will check the unloader every season. I will also drain the pump and use the Pump Guard product.

Comment

I'm a big believer in Preventive Maintenance and a little effort pays off most of the time. After every PW use I disconnect the high pressure hose from the pump/gun and blow all water out with compressed air, as well as pulling the recoil starter on the engine a few times to force water out of the pump. Of course the engine should be in the OFF position when doing this. Then I run the Pump Saver/Guard through the pump and should also mention I spray a bit of WD-40 on all the couplings (male and female) to prevent rusting as that can happen when not in use, especially if hoses are left coupled to the pump/gun.

Comment

I'm a big believer in Preventive Maintenance and a little effort pays off most of the time. After every PW use I disconnect the high pressure hose from the pump/gun and blow all water out with compressed air, as well as pulling the recoil starter on the engine a few times to force water out of the pump. Of course the engine should be in the OFF position when doing this. Then I run the Pump Saver/Guard through the pump and should also mention I spray a bit of WD-40 on all the couplings (male and female) to prevent rusting as that can happen when not in use, especially if hoses are left coupled to the pump/gun.
                            Good practice and advice. I have been using WD-40 on the nozzle quick connect, but I still find it difficult to switch them in and out sometimes? I was thinking of a light grease instead of the WD-40. I am also big on preventive maintenance, cars, lawn and garden machines and so forth. I clearly dropped the ball with the pump part of the pressure washer, it's my own fault for not learning more.

Comment

Working...
                            X