How to find Ridgid tools?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to find Ridgid tools?

No impact wrench Well, I have Ryobi lithium batteries so for $99 I'll get their 18volt impact wrench. Max torque is 200ftlbs which is plenty for my needs. I usually go for overkill and would have preferred something closer to the DeWalt's 300 ftlbs but I did not want to get invovled with another brand, battery and charger.

Comment

Franky, from my conversation with a ridgid (tti) rep today, don't blame ridgid for the lack of an impact. It's all due to the big Orange box that dictates what they sell... its bull crap IMHO, but from my experience in retail, it all but confirmed my theory. HD wants the ryobi tools, they sell for half the price as ridgid, and Joe home owner cares about price and nothing about quality or longevity of a tool. Also, I am guessing here but my guess HD makes a killing on the margins of the ryobi line. From experience at watching close out pricing, when a ridgid tool goes on clearance the price drops on average 20-25% and if you ask for more from a manager, good luck. Now, when a ryobi tool gets the axe, hello 30-50% off the original price. That means one thing, they make HD a lot more money, so why put yet another low margin high end tool in a home improvement store that truthfully caters to Joe home owner and not Joe contractor. It's frustrating. Franky, if you can find a refurbished or new maxselect impact and want a 1/2" impact, buy it and send it my way, I'll mod one like I did mine so you can have a sudo ridgid cordless impact, its on me buddy. I feel your frustration my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        No impact wrench
        +1

ProBrand, thank you for your reply. I especially appreciate you taking responsibility for something lacking at Ridgid -- it makes us all happy to know our "complaints" are actually being heard and acted upon. I'd rather complain all day than waste my breath and money on a brand who isn't listening, so again, thank you.

As far as the website and tools, I think I personally would prefer if everything is online, even if it is sold in limited markets. Without knowing what tools are available, I don't really know where to start to search. I think just a simple product list with pictures, even without all of the detailed specifcations, would be a huge help.

The biggest thing I'd like to see is how to purchase some of the individual items without buying a larger combo kit. The handheld reciprocating saw might be a nice addition to my tool bag, but I wouldn't spend another $250 on an entire kit just to add one tool.

Since you seem to know Ridgid's roadmap, is there any chance we can get an idea of what products to expect in the near and long term future? You know, before we read about them on the dewalt forums?

(Does anyone besides me wish they had an adaptor to use Ridgid batteries on Ryobi tools so they could use a few random niche products they sell?)

Comment

Alphacowboy, thanks for that generous offer and I remember the mod you posted. Think I'll just go with the Ryobi in a couple months. I agree that most consumers don't understand paying more for a better product, then again nowadays that's not always the case. Nofear made a good point about having a adapter so I could use my Ridgid batteries in Ryobi tools. I just hate having different batteries and chargers to keep after. A couple of years ago I bought a cordless hedge trimmer, had it's own battery and charger. Today I see that Ryobi offers a Oneplus 18 volt model which would have saved me the trouble.

Dam shame that the demand for better products is not greater and that in this economy folks make a greater profit by selling things that wearout or break every two or three years. Alphacowboy, if you are right about HomeDepot calling the shots on what tools Ridgid can offer, why would Ridgid stick with the exclusive agreement? They are losing business by not offering a greater tool selection. In my opinion HD does a poor job of show casing Ridgid tools, a few years back they used to have real tools on display and demonstrations. They made an effort to sell, now you have to search in order to find something to buy. The world's gone nuts!

Comment

I apparently flipped through this thread rather quickly and missed most of your responses, so I'll reply myself:

I think Ridgid makes a better tool. I don't think I would've spent over double the price for Ridgid over Ryobi based on warrantee alone; reliable tools make me more efficient, effective, and save me money in the short and long term. I probably put down Ridgid more than I meant to just because I was frustrated in general, but I think you would all agree that a cordless drill, no matter how well it's built, is going to fail one day, a cheaper drill sooner. The LSA makes me feel a lot more confident purchasing the more expensive model, given similar pricing between Ridgid, DeWalt, Milwaukee, and other "Pro" brands.

As far as individual tool selections, if HD doesn't want to carry individual tools for floorspace or competition reasons, I think I would love to see the individual tools sold on the Ridgid website so we have these offerings available to us. To be perfectly honestly, and realistic, I am NOT buying a Ridgid one-handed saw because it is only sold as a kit, and I'm not buying my tools off of E-Bay. I think others might agree, and from a management standpoint, Ridgid should be aware that their decision to not sell individual tools is costing them potential sales, even if it's just one single saw. I'm not trying to rant, I'm just explaining my point.

Comment

Nofear, the issue is that home depot has a contract to be the sole retail outlet for NEW ridgid powertools. From my understanding, HD approached ridgid and asked them to develop a powertool line with the trusted name of Ridgid plumbing tools and that they would be sold at HD exclusively. My guess there is A LOT of money involved in this deal with the devil and TTI bends to what ever mold HD tells them to. I absolutely love my ridgid tools and own damn near every orange tool they make(made) and wouldn't buy any other "color" at this point. But, to be honest, I wish they could be had through a number of different outlets.

Franky, that's totally cool, but if you change your mind, let me know. I am half tempted to buy one, modify it, and mail it to josh or pro just so they can bring it to the boys upstairs and show them we are so serious about the impact that we have found ways... but want the real thing...

Pro, please put EVERYTHING, online. If its there but not in the stores yet, it will cause us to ask about it. If managers in the stores pressure corporate about a tool that isn't in the store but is online, they will get those tools in their stores if enough people ask... but if we don't know model numbers and what IS available, how are we to ask?

How about this, just to see if word gets back to ridgid, let's play a game of "telephone". Every member that reads this, emails home depot and also asks managers and TTI reps in the stores about a ridgid 1/2" cordless impact and when it will hit the stores. Tell EVERYONE you know frequents HD to ask about it. Let's make a serious push on this, maybe finally someone will listen!

Who wants to start WWW.iwantaridgidimpact.com and start this campaign.....

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                Pro, please put EVERYTHING, online. If its there but not in the stores yet, it will cause us to ask about it. If managers in the stores pressure corporate about a tool that isn't in the store but is online, they will get those tools in their stores if enough people ask... but if we don't know model numbers and what IS available, how are we to ask?
                ^^^ What he said

I don't think anything at HD store level will make a difference. Why not just start a forum topic that says "who wants a Ridgid Impact?" and when it reaches 100 users, email the thread to TTI.

"Hey corporate, 100 people buying $100 impact guns is $10 grand. Want it??"

I thought there was other stores selling Ridgid cordless... where can I find more info about that agreement? Is there a press release somewhere?

Comment

@Alpha -- details on your 1/2" impact mods??

Comment

Originally posted by NoFear13X View Post
                    @Alpha -- details on your 1/2" impact mods??
                    Enjoy!

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...334#post341334

Comment

[QUOTE=NoFear13X;341319]

[QUOTE]

$10,000? If it was pure profit that wouldnt cover the design and packaging costs, let alone the cost of tooling. You guys need to think realistically. Ridgids net margin on any item is probably 5% (or less). If they can't foresee moving 40 or 50K pieces of an item that they have to do any developement on, they are not going to do it.

Comment

[QUOTE=tomapple;341339][QUOTE=NoFear13X;341319]

$10,000? If it was pure profit that wouldnt cover the design and packaging costs, let alone the cost of tooling. You guys need to think realistically. Ridgids net margin on any item is probably 5% (or less). If they can't foresee moving 40 or 50K pieces of an item that they have to do any developement on, they are not going to do it.
                        You make some good points, however the designs for a 1/2" heavy duty impact already exist with TTI which makes the Ryobi model. Hard to say how many units would sell, but I think the number would be in the thousands. You have to consider how many people currently buy such a tool, how many would buy it either as a stand alone or along with the purchase of a cordless tool kit. Ridgid has the LSA in it's favor, now if more tools such as the impact were available it makes sense the number of buyers would increase. I don't think the problem is with Ridgid or potential lack of profit or sales, I think the root of the problem is Home Depot and it's desire to push Ryobi while keeping Ridgid exposure and offerings limited. Imagine a Ridgid display at Home Depot, tools such as a cordless impact wrench, grinder/cutoff tool and some others which have been suggested along with the five piece kit and the LSA, right out there for the public to see, handle and purchase. I think Ridgid would crush Ryobi, DeWalt and others with a combination of quality, price and warranty.

Comment

Net Margin is definitely over 5%. If 1 in every 20 tools was returned or broken they would go under. Makes no sense at all. I'm not going to guess the actual margin, but tools, at this level, is not a 5% deal. Even harbor freight is probably above 30%, and their stuff is dirt cheap.

My point is not entirely that 100 tool sales is worthwhile, but that if 100 people were showing an active interest in a product that, like Frankiarmz mentioned, is already designed in-house, it might make them realize that they are missing potential revenue. As far as Ridgid crushing Ryobi and others, I agree, but that too is probably the reason they haven't let Ridgid run free with their name and quality. Honestly, I'm not sure why they've added so many sub-brands to TTI's line-up. At the very least, I'm not sure why they've made all the batteries different. Then people wouldn't mind if a Ryobi or a Black & Decker died because you'd be able to just use your batteries in another tool, or the batteries from your new tool in the old one. I wish the whole world would just make 18V batteries identical in shape, size and connection.

Comment

Perhaps you should look up the term "net". I stand by the 5%.

Comment

You stand alone

Comment

Emerson Reports First Quarter 2011 Results:

"Operating profit margin improved to 15.4 percent from 15.2 percent in the prior year period."

I'm so pissed I actually wasted time looking this up...

From now on, lets stick with the topic of this thread instead of opinions about financial aspects of the company. Where is my list of current and upcoming Ridgid tools? Dewaltforums.com?

Comment

Working...
                                X