Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust collection question -r4512

Hello all,

I just bought an r4512 TS and I am at the point where the instructions say to install the dust chute but it has a warning that says "Only install dust chute when using a four inch dust collection system. Failure to heed this warning could result in serious personal injury or death".

So my question is what if I just want the chute to make a pile of sawdust below my saw without a dust collection system connected to it?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and I can't think of one thing that you could get hurt from the chute being installed and just letting the dust fall to the ground(other than breathing the dust). Otherwise it seems like the dust would just be a bigger mess below the saw without the chute.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me out on this.

Thank you,

Ron
    Last edited by rone; 04-17-2011, 03:20 AM.

Re: dust collection question -r4512

I have the R4511, and it came with the same warning. The only reason I could think of is that the sawdust "could" collect inside the saw and possibly cause a fire. Even with my dust collector connected, I still get some sawdust collecting along the edges and in the corners. I don't think it will take long to build up and block the exhaust port.
    Brian

Comment

Ahh Ok that didn't come to mind and makes sense. Thank you.

I plan to get a hose reducer and hook up my shop vac to it though but I just wanted to know why that warning was there.

Comment

Keep in mind to check the elbow periodically for thin long pieces that can't pass the curve, until you have a zero clearance insert.

I fastened a big PVC elbow to the bottom of the plastic chute (had to put two, rows of duct tape on the black plastic so the elbow would stay in place by friction) and then reduced it with an extra piece so the shop vac hose would slip in / "attach". I had several long thin pieces of cabinet plywood stuck into the elbow, blocking the air flow, from trimming some shelves down a whisker and the cutoff pieces disappearing in the saw.

Comment

PS:

Granted mine had a few pieces lodged in the elbow, but after completely cleaning my unit the other day, I'd probably recommend periodically flipping on the shop vac and blowing some compressed air down into the saw stand through the insert and adjustment slots. The shop vacs don't move a large enough volume of air to suck it all in. Quite a difference between vacuuming at the nozzle and sucking an n foot square area. I know I could see clouds of dust above the table saw and everything in our garage got a bit dusty when I was trimming some shelf pieces.

Comment

Having no Dust Collecting System and having to rely on a shop Vac, I came up with a solution with the R4512 TS. Being that the dust chute is four inches and my shop Vav is only 2½", I figured out a simple solution to the problem.

I went to my local HD and got one of these;

Attachment Attachment

I also got this adapter set;

Attachment Attachment

I inserted the 2½ adapter so that it would be flush inside the smaller end;

Attachment

I also got another hose so that I could keep it hooked up all of the time instead of climbing under the saw every time to hook it up. Not that it's a big deal because with the adapter, to hook it up is the same as hooking into the Vac itself;

Attachment

The one thing I hadn't counted on was the longer length of the connector of the newer hose. So, I just used the older original hose from the Shop Vac. If need be, it would not take much effort to cut down or shorten the new connector. The main reason for having the shorter connector is because of the lift system, there's not much room to play with. This shows the difference between the new and old hoses;

Attachment

Now, the installation is pretty simple once you give the inside of the connector a light coating of 3 in 1 oil so that it will easily slide onto the dust chute. Because the rubber connector is 3" and you're putting it on a 4" chute, it takes a little muscling and stretching to get it on, but with the oil coating, not very hard;

Ah oh....can't post any more images within this post
            so.....to be continued

Attached Files

Comment

Continued from previous post

Now, the installation is pretty simple once you give the inside of the connector a light coating of 3 in 1 oil so that it will easily slide onto the dust chute. Because the rubber connector is 3" and you're putting it on a 4" chute, it takes a little muscling and stretching to get it on, but with the oil coating, not very hard;

Attachment

Because the rubber is pretty flexible, I was able to angle the devise towards one side to avoid the lifting bar between the front and rear casters. With that done, here's what it looks like;

Attachment Attachment Attachment

And if you don't use the fence holder on the side of the cabinet, it is a good place to store the hose when not in use;

Attachment

So.....this is my solution to the dust situation and after testing it out, works like a charm for only being a Shop Vav Collection System.

Hopes this helps someone else out wondering what to do with their dust.

Semper Fi,

Ron

Attached Files

Comment

well done! nicely executed solution. but move up to a dust collector when you can. it's worth it.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Great post, thanks! I went to HD today and bought the exact same parts. I used a hair dryer to soften the rubber to make it easier to push over the 4" saw port. I only made one small modification to the plan: cut 1.5" off the length of the 2" tube to give a little more clearance above the bar on the lift assembly.

Comment

With the dust chute in place, how do you guys maintenance the saw? (i.e. adjust the trunion bolts to square the blade, etc.?) I was thinking about this for the same reason as I was going to build your adapter, but I'm not sure how to get the dust chute in place since I assembled the saw without it (heeding the "you might die if you don't have a 4" dust collection system" warning). Would you really have to disassemble the rails to lay the saw on its back, then flip it on it's table to take the legs/stand off, insert the chute, then reassemble?

Thanks,

David

Comment

Originally posted by daviddoria View Post
                      With the dust chute in place, how do you guys maintenance the saw?
                      (i.e. adjust the trunion bolts to square the blade, etc.?)

isn't that why the motor cover is made to be removeable?

I was thinking about this for the same reason as I was going to build your adapter, but I'm not sure how to get the dust chute in place since I assembled the saw without it (heeding the "you might die if you don't have a 4" dust collection system" warning). Would you really have to disassemble the rails to lay the saw on its back, then flip it on it's table to take the legs/stand off, insert the chute, then reassemble?

that's how i would do it. i wouldn't risk having the weight of the saw possibly damage a fence rail as i overturned the saw. it's not a really heavy piece of equipment, but it's got enough weight to potentially damage parts like fence rails.

Thanks,

David
                      hope this info helps. always better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Finer9998 - Are "motor cover" and "dust chute" synonyms?

Comment

I guess you mean the back panel (the flat orange square piece held on by 6 or so screws?

Comment

see your OM. page 15, figure 8, part "p" is the dust chute. see page 36, figure 54, the panel affixed to the saw cabinet with 6 screws is the rear access panel. i assume that's there to provide access to the saw's innards for adjustment and maintenance. i thought the part that protruded from the side of the cabinet which provides room for the motor when bevelled was removable. apparently, it's not, which is why the rear access panel is probably there.

Comment

Working...
                            X