Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryobi 24V

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
    They are 2.4Ah roughly. Divide the WH by the Voltage and that gives you the Ah roughly, it's not exact.

57.72/24 = 2.405Ah

They are using the lowest Ah Sanyo 18x65 cells.

Here it is taken apart.

http://dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php/topic,694.0.html

Thanks AlphaCowboy for the interesting modification!
    Correct

Comment

Well guys, let's say I "took one for the team". They will work, but PLEASE, take the battery apart to modify it! I made the mistake of wanting to trim just a little more plastic to make it slide on the tools a little easier, well I trimmed a little to much and hit the power blades with the Jobmax cutting blade. Even though it was just a little tiny spark, it is dead!

Fuel gauge says its full, charger says its full but when I put it on the tool I get the "battery dead pulse".

Bawls... oh well, at least I have an extra charger since the cords on the ridgid charger is lucky if it makes it 6 months with out cracking....

Any idea what else I could do to "reset" this battery or am I up poop creek? I am to honest to try and exchange it...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        Well guys, let's say I "took one for the team". They will work, but PLEASE, take the battery apart to modify it! I made the mistake of wanting to trim just a little more plastic to make it slide on the tools a little easier, well I trimmed a little to much and hit the power blades with the Jobmax cutting blade. Even though it was just a little tiny spark, it is dead!

Fuel gauge says its full, charger says its full but when I put it on the tool I get the "battery dead pulse".

Bawls... oh well, at least I have an extra charger since the cords on the ridgid charger is lucky if it makes it 6 months with out cracking....

Any idea what else I could do to "reset" this battery or am I up poop creek? I am to honest to try and exchange it...
        just wondering, did you try to see if the 18 volt batteries worked as well

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
          just wondering, did you try to see if the 18 volt batteries worked as well
          Sorry for the late response, but yes, the 18v Batteries do work on the unit. There is a couple hitches though; One, the Ryobi tool lacks the 18v battery locking slots, so the battery doesnt "lock" onto the tool. It does fit snug though and I guess if you wanted to play with a rotory tool you could add the two small slots so that it would attach. Two, the 18v batteries don't run the tool quite as fast as the 24v units. It cuts just as well, just slower.

I'll have to admit, I am kind of impressed with the clipper. It works quite well for a battery powered unit, and cuts right through 1/2" branches on my pine trees without issue.

Comment

I bought one a week ago... the arm that ratchets the spool has two nubs that hold the ratchet teeth, after the first use those nubs were wore out and it dispensed the whole spool.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul GA View Post
              I bought one a week ago... the arm that ratchets the spool has two nubs that hold the ratchet teeth, after the first use those nubs were wore out and it dispensed the whole spool.
              Paul, you will probably be returning the tool for a refund or replacement. I have posted that in our "made in china" society we need to do our best to modify and repair better that new the junk we are forced to purchase. IF you are handy, I'm sure you can figure a better replacement for those plastic nubs that wore out. Perhaps a couple bolts shaped just right with a dremel? I just think we need to beat them at their own game when possible. I myself would not attempt a repair on such a new tool Good luck. Frank

Comment

I checked the 18v version, has the same thing on it. The nubs aren't very big to start with, they are on the flat part that slides over to release the ratchet by centrifugal force to advance the line .. the darn thing worked great before then... plenty of power just too much I guess?? If there was something like the Echo Rapid-loader head I could replace it with I would keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul GA View Post
                  Good to know, I have the hedge trimmer, I have a 4cycle string trimmer, so didn't think that I "needed" that, so I figured I might as well try out the hedge trimmer.

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks for the tip on the batteries. I bought some used 18V tools on craigslist a while back, in the kit was a 24V circular saw. I was not impressed with it using my 18V batteries, so it sat on the shelf. Fast forward a few months, I was at HD and spotted the Ryobi battery and charger sitting in a cart full of returns in the tool dept. I am buddy buddy with the tool dept DM(store A), he said its not his, he cant sell it, it belongs to garden... Came back talked to a garden associate, they found the batt/charer, said they could not sell it separately, but had to sell it as a package. I rolled my eyes, asked how much the whole package was (the 24V trimmer), get this, a whopping $30! Mind you the battery had some how gotten hot and slightly metled itself to the unit, but two minutes with a screwdriver and a mapp gas torch (remembering your bad luck with the multi max) had self clearanced everything back into shape!

That 24V saw runs circles around my 18V one. I remembered my other buddy at the other HD (store B) had a 24V drill sitting in his pile o junk, he sold it to me for $10! In the garden section I found another 24V weed whip that had a note on it stating "no credit, missing screws" No green sticker on it, I asked, the guy talked to the store manager, he said they would sell it to me for $100. We look in the box, I find the screws, but find that the head of the tool has a broken tab where the shroud attaches. We go talk to the manager together, I get it marked to 50% off.($80!) There is one more of these used units I might buy for the battery for $75(store B), I don't need 3 weed whips!

My only complaint is when I tested these on my new old stock 24V drill. I did a side by side test of the X3 with the 18V 3.0ah battery and the 24V with the Ryobi battery. The test I performed, see if I can stall the drill with my hand. I tried the 24V first. The battery died! WTF! I tried the same test with the X3, it tried tearing the skin off of my hand. I tried both 24V batteries, same result. I thought maybe the first battery had been made angry because of the high heat it seen, the other was brand new out of the box.... The 24V drill with the 18V battery did not have the punch, but the battery did not quit and need to be "reset" by putting it on the charger. I had mixed results with using the 24V to mix half a bag of hotmud. The 18V drill will be my weapon of choice when there is no electricity.

I think the 24V stuff will be left to cutting, not drillig holes. It cut almost as good as a worm drive saw with a blade that isnt so sharp anymore. Now I get to carry around MORE stuff in the car....

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t9223/#post64844
                    what some of you may have experinced is the overload circuit in the battery tripping, it happens occasionaly and the fuel guage registers no charge and the drill wont go, but all you have to do is put it in the charger for about 3 seconds to reset the circuit and it works fine again.
                    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Been a while since I visited the forum. Want to say thanks to the brave pioneers who figured this out. I was about to get rid of my entire 24v set, in favor of the new Dewalt 20v stuff. I like the Ridgid tools, except for the weight (they are HEAVY) and the batteries (pretty much all of mine have died or been reduced to a few minutes of charge.) I bought 2 Ryobi batteries off Ebay and a 24V Hedge trimmer. I actually use the Ryobi 18V hedge trimmer now (for light stuff) and am looking forward to the extended reach of the 24V model. Hopefully, I should be good for another 4-5 years.

BTW, I noticed the discharge problem early on, with the 24V batteries, and developed a recharge schedule that seemed to help. I had planned on tearing them open and installing a switch that would disconnect the cells from the circuit to keep it from draining them, but never got around to it. I also forgot the recharge schedule a few times and that was all it took to kill some of the batteries.

Comment

Following up. I ordered a couple batteries from Ebay ($70) and a reconditioned 24V hedge trimmer (for $120.) Batteries all work great after modifying and the hedge trimmer worked much better than I expected. I have a Ryobi 18V hedge trimmer that is really weak. While this one isn't the equal of a good corded hedge trimmer, it is pretty darn good. It sliced through branches that hang up the 18V one with ease. Now I have a spare charger and 3 new batteries to breath life back in the 24V tools.

Comment

I was eyeballing two weed whips that were on clearance, had asked the mgr when they were going to get lowered again, a week later the entire clearance are had disappeared, been donated to the trash.
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Well with the new ryobi 40v lawn tools just released. I would try and pick up any of the 24v items for batteries you can find. Can't wait to replace my 18 volt blower with a better one.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                              I was eyeballing two weed whips that were on clearance, had asked the mgr when they were going to get lowered again, a week later the entire clearance are had disappeared, been donated to the trash.
                              The best deals are always in the dumpster.

Comment

Working...
                              X