X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi 24V

I came across the new Ryobi 24V outdoor equipment. The battery & charger look identical to the Ridgid 24V XLi stuff. I'm sure the answer is no, but I was wondering if this stuff would fit in my ridgid 24V tools.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ou...hargers/OP241A

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ou...immers/RY24201

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ou...immers/RY24601

Re: Ryobi 24V

The batteries looks depressingly similar to the extinct ridgid 24v. Ryobi being innovative again....

Comment

I hope they fit the ridgid 24v line as they look identical. So, maybe there is hope for a return of the powerful 24v line to ridgid if they are resurrecting the technology for ryobi.

Comment

With assistance of my jobmax, these fit the ridgid 24v tools with honestly, 2 seconds of modification. I don't know if the ridgid batteries fit on the ryobi unit as I didn't have any with me in the Orange box parking lot. But, I don't see why not, they honestly are identical to their ridgid cousins with one small plastic blade in the way. The charger is a spitting image of the ridgid unit.

Comment

Thanks Alpha, so in order to maximize power to my max/select vacuum and planer with 24v power I can use Ryobi.........

Comment

Alright guys, got home and did some more playing around. My Ridgid 24v batteries are at a jobsite so I cant test them on the charger or the Ryobi trimmer I bought. But, the 24v Ryobi battery fits the Ridgid charger without issue just like it fits the tools. It does charge the battery as well. From the looks of it, I dont see any issue why the Ridgid 24v batteries wouldnt fit the charger or tools as the tabs they placed on the Ryobi model only makes them not compatible with Ridgid, the Ridgid battery is no different except it doesnt have the tabs.

I attached some photos of what I am talking about.

BTW, I am not endorsing modifying your tools, by doing so you do this at your own risk and my guess voids warranty on the Ryobi set (3 year warranty)

But, for 150 bucks I got a 24v battery, charger and a trimmer (that I may use once or twice a year tops) but if you ask me, its a good deal as the Rigid 24v batteries sell for 100 bucks from ereplacementparts.com and Ridgid parts and the charger I beleive is the same.

My question is this... what else is hitting the Ryobi line? I cant beleive they launched the 24v batteries with only 2 tools in mind...
            Attached Files

Comment

I think you just increased the value of all those unwanted clearanced cursed maxselect power tools on cl/ebait singlehandedly

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                I think you just increased the value of all those unwanted clearanced cursed maxselect power tools on cl/ebait singlehandedly
                if so, Ridgid owes me.... guy infront of me at HD said he had a full 24v kit with dead batteries at home that he never registered... I should have asked for his phone number and a price.... doh!

Comment

Update!

Ridgid Battery will work on the Ryobi Charger and Yard Tools with a little help of the JobMax! I could have modified the Ridgid battery easily enough to work on the Ryobi tools but I would rather leave the lifetime warrantied batteries alone and modify the Ryobi tool and charger.

There is a slight difference in the batteries, and from the attached pictures you can see what needs a little trimming. be VERY careful when trimming the plastic blades on the battery as they are close to the power terminal blades and you dont want to cross them!

On the tool and charger, you can see the small plastic piece in the middle that I removed. This eliminates the need to modify the XLi Ridgid batteries to work on the Ryobi charger and tool.

The charger has a "smart power save mode", and also blinks a green light when charging unlike the Ridgid unit. Length of charge is the same.

Enjoy!
                  Attached Files

Comment

and the way they look modified...
                    Attached Files

Comment

One difference though... there is no mention of the Amp Hours on the Ryobi battery. It only says 24v 57.72 W h on it instead of the 24v 3.0Ah on the Ridgid batteries...
                      Attached Files

Comment

They are 2.4Ah roughly. Divide the WH by the Voltage and that gives you the Ah roughly, it's not exact.

57.72/24 = 2.405Ah

They are using the lowest Ah Sanyo 18x65 cells.

Here it is taken apart.

http://dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php/topic,694.0.html

Thanks AlphaCowboy for the interesting modification!
                        Last edited by Kanxrus; 04-21-2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                          One difference though... there is no mention of the Amp Hours on the Ryobi battery. It only says 24v 57.72 W h on it instead of the 24v 3.0Ah on the Ridgid batteries...
                          so still safe to use in each others tools?

Comment

I'm not going to endorse anything, but yes.... It will work, you will just see a shortened runtime. As far as being charger compatible, AlphaCowboy has shown that they will work. I personally think it's ill-advised to-do-so, most smart chargers are programmed to charge the specific cells it was meant to charge. I don't know what technology is involved in either charger.

If Ridgid has locked the 24v users out, and they present a near identical battery in a sister brand...... do whatcha gotta do. I would just be safe going about it. Noone want's to see a battery explode!
                            Last edited by Kanxrus; 04-21-2011, 10:21 AM.

Comment

If my math is correct the Ryobi batteries are only 2.4Ah instead of the 3.0Ah I don't see the issue though as the Ah rating shouldn't matter but the V does. Correct me if I am wrong. To get Ah rating you divide the Wh rating by the voltage correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X