Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Who has used guide bushings with R2401 Router?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has used guide bushings with R2401 Router?

I have a few different routers, including PC893, the new DeWalt Compact router 2 base kit, the Ridgid 2.25 HP kit and the Ridgid R2401 trim router. The holes in the clear sub bases of the R2401 seem to be made to fit Porter Cable style guide bushings. (Mine are Rockler.) However, unlike the bases of my other routers, there is not a recess in the clear sub base to fit the flange of the guide bushing. This keeps the router from sitting flat and flush with the wood's surface.

Has anyone used guide bushings with your R2401, and can you offer advice? Thanks
    There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Re: Who has used guide bushings with R2401 Router?

Steve,

You wrote, "there is not a recess in the clear sub base ".

That surprises me, but I must admit that I haven't examined the base on the 2401 that closely. I have the R2400 and that subbase (the clear acrylic) does have the recess and the P-C style guides fit perfectly.
    -
    Good thing, because that is the router of my choice for using a pattern to round off corners, etc. and I have a complete set of brass guide bushings that I purchased from Lee-Valley.

I also a set of guide bushing for use on my router table (they don't have the "nose").

If there is no recess, I can't imagine any way to use the standard P-C guide bushings. It seems like an oversite. I think I would call Ridgid "Technical Support" and see if they've made a correction and if not, ask if the R2400 base plate would fit and how much it would cost you to get one.

I hope this is helpful... Happy Easter,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CWS. I have since read that the R2400 does have the recess, but the R2401 does not. I make take your advice and see if the R2400 clear sub base will fit the R2401. It does appear to be a frustrating oversight on Ridgid's part. Like I said, the hole in the subplate is perfect for a guide bushing, but there is no recess. I really like this router for light work such as laminate trimming, roundovers and edging. I also love my Ridgid 2.25hp combo router kit. After I got mine, the dropped the amperage. I have a PC 890 motor mounted in my router table. Just a week ago, I picked up the DeWalt DWP611 compact router kit. Each router serves a purpose. I can get by without the guide bushing for the R2401 - just wish the plate would take one.
      There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Hey SS, did you ever find out if the R2400 base fits on the R2401?

Comment

one can usually make new bases out of 1/4 Plexiglas (or similar) or hard board, mount on a face plate on wood lathe (or metal lath) and turn one out and transfer the holes for the screws,

do not know about the Ridgid routers but at one time some companies sold "Universal" bases for routers, that either had slots in the base for the screw or multiple holes,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yea, it's not so much the base itself, but the recess for the guide bushing. I don't really have the time, tools or patience to machine that part, especially when the factory base only costs $2.37.

Comment

So, just a follow up for those who will read this in the future, I purchased a couple of R2400 bases from mowtownusa.com for .99 each (Ryobi Power Tool Part # 512688001 SUB BASE). Shipping was $6. Cheaper than the $10 ones on ebay. They do fit the R2401, however, they don't have the same locking/guide pins like the base on the R2401 has. This shouldn't be a big deal as the screws appear to hold it in place well enough. Best of all, the universal router bushings fit, which was my primary objective.

Comment

This ended up working out okay. Found some R2400 bases online for under $1. They aren't the same design, new ones have alignment guides, but they still fit.

Comment

Working...
                X