Lithium Ion Charger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Ion Charger

I am curious if the charger that comes with a 12 volt li-ion battery and tool will also charge an 18 volt li-ion battery. I see that the 18 volt charger will charge lesser voltages. Just curious.
    Thanks,
    Conwaygolfer

Re: Lithium Ion Charger

the 12v (pistol load) batteries only have their own charger, there is no multi-port ridgid charger. Not sure if they ever made a 12v Li-Ion slide on battery

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      the 12v (pistol load) batteries only have their own charger, there is no multi-port ridgid charger. Not sure if they ever made a 12v Li-Ion slide on battery
      Pretty sure you're right. We waited for a 12volt standard size lithium but it never came, so we used the 14.4 nicads.

Comment

I am tempted to check with a battery builder locally about using all the NiCad battery casings I have and building a clone LiIon core for them. I seriously have 2 dozen 18v NiCads that collect dust (most are in-op as they were salvaged recycled units i got from a local HD for nothing) Most had the security strap fuse blown and I just soldered them and they worked for quite awhile until the solder finally let go. I just never use them with the Li-Ions around, why!? The case is basicly the same size, so I dont see why it would be too hard, and with some work i am sure I could figure out the charging curcuit board as long as the part numbers arnt scraped off. I also have a dozen or more of the NiCad 12v units. I loved those drills, light with still enough power. I wonder if it would be possible to rebuild those with Li-Ion cores and still find a way to use the Multi-Cemistry charger. Same thing with the 14v units too, I have 4-5 of those drills as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
          I am tempted to check with a battery builder locally about using all the NiCad battery casings I have and building a clone LiIon core for them. I seriously have 2 dozen 18v NiCads that collect dust (most are in-op as they were salvaged recycled units i got from a local HD for nothing) Most had the security strap fuse blown and I just soldered them and they worked for quite awhile until the solder finally let go. I just never use them with the Li-Ions around, why!? The case is basicly the same size, so I dont see why it would be too hard, and with some work i am sure I could figure out the charging curcuit board as long as the part numbers arnt scraped off. I also have a dozen or more of the NiCad 12v units. I loved those drills, light with still enough power. I wonder if it would be possible to rebuild those with Li-Ion cores and still find a way to use the Multi-Cemistry charger. Same thing with the 14v units too, I have 4-5 of those drills as well.
          If I was going to have a battery rebuilt for a power tool, I would opt for NIMH. There is a battery rebuilder who offers 3300mah cells. Not cheap, but I think they last longer than lions and are not affected by cold weather. Sounds like Ridgid solved the finicky lithium ion problems with their newer battery, but why pay good money for old lithium ion technology on a rebuild?
          I know a guy who has the panasonic drill with the 15.6 NIMH battery and it's lasted for years under heavy use.

Comment

I'm trying to follow your thoughts on a better battery but if you switch to NIMH on the rebuilt Ridgid batteries...what charger would you use?

Comment

I think the nicad charger would be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the rebuilder. I have replaced cordless telephone battery packs which were nicads with NIMH and they have charged fine on the standard docking setup, only difference is that the phone can be used several times longer.

This link is informative, but I'd still ask the rebuilder. I'm thinking plenty of Ridgid, DeWalt and other cordless tool owners have opted for the NIMH rebuild and continued to use their old nicad charger.
              http://www.greenbatteries.com/bachfa.html
              Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-26-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X