X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting pressure washer at Home Depot

There is a new Cat Pumps branded pressure washer model CT80020 at HD that has TTi written all over it (in not so many letters), most notably the frame and idle down features. It has a 301cc MZ300 Yamaha engine (10 HP). $999 with free shipping. Any thoughts? Experience with Yamaha engines? Thx!

Edit:

I found a link with some documentation available for this machine: bluepowersite
    Last edited by Fishobaby; 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM. Reason: Additional info added

Re: Interesting pressure washer at Home Depot

Yes, the unit is made by TTI.
    TTI used the MZ300 engine on the HG5700R generator for several years. Never had an issue with it. The MZ360 was the one they had problems with.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
      Yes, the unit is made by TTI.
      TTI used the MZ300 engine on the HG5700R generator for several years. Never had an issue with it. The MZ360 was the one they had problems with.
      Any comment on the idle-down feature in general? I'm afraid I don't really understand-- does it help for extended bypass, or maybe just keep you from shutting down under full power?

I could have had this Craftsman with Honda GX390 and AR pump for $900 today (friends and family discount), which is similar to the apparently no longer available Ridgid RD80770, but without the much nicer frame. I guess I probably should have, but didnt', and now my discount is gone...

Comment

the idle down feature is designed to save fuel, and also cut down on the heat generated during bypass. the full rpm's will pass so much water per minute. at a lower rpm, less water will pass and therefore generate less heat due to bypassing.

there are some higher end machines that use a pulley with an electric clutch that stops the pump during bypass/ spray wand shut off.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Yep. What Rick said. It's all about fuel savings and reduced pump wear.

Comment

Yep. What Rick said. It's all about fuel savings and reduced pump wear.
            Sounds good if it works right. The manual doesn't say much, and there are zero reviews. Does it idle-down instantly, and could it possible rev-up instantly and seamlessly under load assuming no accelerator pump? The manual also says nothing about how long it can stay in bypass with this feature.

Comment

Every one of them I've tested works great. Squeeze the trigger and she revs right up. Let it go and she drops to a smooth idle. But it's NEVER a good idea to let it sit in bypass for any longer than absolutely necessary. That's when the 'off' position on the engine switch becomes your best friend. Temperature is the issue here... it may take longer to reach critical temp with the idle-down, but it can still cause premature pump failure. And failures caused by overheating are not warranty issues.

Comment

Every one of them I've tested works great. Squeeze the trigger and she revs right up. Let it go and she drops to a smooth idle.
                Yeah, I guess it would have to work OK for them to go into production with three models! It seems they are selling this model in the HD stores, and there is one 18.3 miles away, but only one.

I don't recognize the pump in the picture as something that would come on a machine so powerful from the Cat Pumps Catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishobaby View Post
                  Sounds good if it works right. The manual doesn't say much, and there are zero reviews. Does it idle-down instantly, and could it possible rev-up instantly and seamlessly under load assuming no accelerator pump? The manual also says nothing about how long it can stay in bypass with this feature.
                  I have a Craftsman with a B&S engine/AR SJV pump that has this idle down feature and it works well. Squeeze the trigger and you have full throttle/wide open pressure, let off and it idles down nicely. It definitely minimizes fuel consumption and I'm sure some wear/tear on the pump/engine, but like has already been mentioned, any PW shouldn't be left running at idle for long anyway. For me it's never longer than 30 seconds to maybe 1 minute MAX.

On my PW there is a reinforced rubber hose with metal fittings that connect a port on the pump to a part of the engine's governor to control idle down.

Comment

I don't recognize the pump in the picture as something that would come on a machine so powerful from the Cat Pumps Catalog.
                    It kinda looks like this one, which is rated 3200 PSI @ 3 GPM with 8-9 HP. Custom unit? Over-driven?

Comment

For that price I'd go with a GX390 Honda with a Cat Pump from Northern Tool and Equipment.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5682_200355682
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                        For that price I'd go with a GX390 Honda with a Cat Pump from Northern Tool and Equipment.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5682_200355682
                        I know, it seems a little high, but it sure is pretty!

That Northstar would cost $162 to ship, which puts me squarely in BE belt-drive-unit-purchased-locally territory.

Of course, I could always get a comparable model locally, without shipping. Some dealer is selling them on eBay. I have no idea how much
                        they mark them up locally, but I suppose I could make an offer.
                        Last edited by Fishobaby; 05-19-2011, 10:22 PM. Reason: afterthought

Comment

The Craftsman appears to be identical to my DeWalt that I bought a couple years ago; it came with a General pump. I was able to grab it for $770 because it was a previous year model. I don’t use it that much but have absolutely no complaints.

Good luck

Woodslayer

Comment

What I do is have a slight leak on the pressure hose at the QD at the pump , so it will allow on trigger release the pump pressure to drop. I mean a drip like leak from the threads. Under load there is little change in pressure, and the leak actually stops. I have a gauge on the output so I can measure it. Not ideal but better than having it running at bypass hi pressure.

Comment

There is a new Cat Pumps branded pressure washer model CT80020 at HD that has TTi written all over it (in not so many letters), most notably the frame and idle down features. It has a 301cc MZ300 Yamaha engine (10 HP). $999 with free shipping.
                              The price just dropped a hundred dollars to what I thought it should have been...

Comment

Working...
                              X