X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid twin-blade R3250

Some of you read from an earlier thread that the R3250 is a new Ridgid/Fuego twin-blade
    cutter.

I recently ordered one and was disappointed that it failed.
    Unfortunately there are none available here locally.
    I was going to wait for this to become available west of the Mississippi
    but I could not!

I just ordered another one via the Home Depot web site and
    figure this may be shipping from Baltimore Maryland. I'm in Arizona!

I should see this tool in a week to ten days.

I plan to approach this unit differently.....

Before powering it up I want to measure the spacing between the two
    blades. With the first one the blades were binding and bogging down the motor.
    I did not have any way to adjust the spacing and the manual did not have any
    trouble shooting help other than the usual "make sure it's plugged" in stuff.

I honestly like the design of the saw and how well it's balanced and
    feels. Remember, I'm left handed and all the other twin-blade cutters on the market
    have their handle on the side and designed for a right handed person.

The R3250 having the handle design similar to a circular saw allows a much safer
    way to grasp and control the tool. Also the guard is METAL!!!! not plastic like
    the others have. The guard also moves very smoothly.

I am really looking forward to getting the saw and hopefully this time it will run
    perfectly out of the box!

Cactus Man

Re: Ridgid twin-blade R3250

there should be a blade wrench and the info to properly adjust and install/ replace the blades.

my craftsman unit had a pin and wrench combo. took a few to find a unit that was properly installed and adjusted.

looking forward to a positive review.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, there is a socket type wrench to tighten the blades.
      You have a motor lock button you push so it won't spin as you secure the blades.
      I even though the button was not releasing but I believe the spindles were not properly set.

The inner blade is keyed with three offset pins. the outer blade simply sits on a bearing.
      The nut slips into the center hole and you tighten it..I'm not an over torque-r!

I think the ring on the spindle that separates the two blades was not properly set.
      It has a slot on each side as if you need a type of spanner wrench to loosen or tighten it.
      I was reluctant to mess with it and opted to return the saw.

there are no user adjustments for the tool other than installing and removing blades or when to use
      the lubricating sticks.

My Craftsman also has the pin and wrench combo.
      The Ridgid only has the socket type wrench with a "T" handle for a good grip.

Cactus Man
      Last edited by cactusman; 05-06-2011, 12:13 AM.

Comment

The second R3250 arrived this afternoon. It was packed slightly different than my first one, this
        makes me think the first one was a re-pack and that's why it was defective.

The new one received was well packaged and looked as if no one ever opened it!!!

I installed the blades and immediately noticed a difference. So beware of opened or resealed boxes!
        DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE BLADE NUT!!!!

Comparing this unit to my Sears 6 1/4" twin blade saw is like night and day.
        The R3250 is a 5" blade...it runs quieter and smoother than the Sears grinder style twin blade saw.
        This unit has a comfortable center of gravity and for a left handed person it's safe and comfortable to use.
        The sears unit is so loud you need ear protection and you have to fight it during the cut. The R3250 has a
        10 amp motor..plenty of power.

I did a few practice cuts. I did a 2x6, some PVC pipe, some perforated metal, and some square steel stock.
        The saw cut all the materials but I would not suggest it for PVC pipe as it leaves a lot of burrs. If you cut
        large diameter PVC pipe you won't get a straight cut due to blade's limitations. I suggest you stick with
        a miter saw or back style saw to cut the PVC.

Obviously, with two blades you'll experience a large kerf, about 1/4" so consider that when you layout your cut line.

The saw does not bog down nor do you have to fight the cut. The plastic lubrication sticks are necessary when cutting metals
        but I personally do not care for the design. I really have no recommendation for a different/better method at this time.

The power cord is a good length and is flexible, odd though it is not the new Ridgid style with the neon lamp inside the plug
        to let you know it's plugged in...I don't remember if the first unit had the illuminated plug.

This tool is offered for the LSA program but for the life of me I can't find any UPC code on the box!
        I'll be sending the computer receipt that has a UPC code on it. Also the LSA application form does not have enough
        spaces for the serial number...the form has 10 boxes one box per number and the serial number has 11 numbers and letters!!!

This is not a tool that the typical weekend warrior homeowner will use with every project, but I can see where this tool
        will come in handy. Now I must admit a good quality reciprocating saw and proper blade may address 90% of what
        this twin blade saw will do.

I am a happy customer.

Cactus Man

Comment

thanks cactus.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X